This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Baseball - NCAA

Ok guys, I've been wanting to talk about College Baseball for a while, and since there is no forum or thread, I thought I'd make one.

Please comment about you favorite team, their chances next year, your favorite players, and happenings around the nation.

I'll start by talking about... the best team in the nation over the last 5 years!....

The Texas Longhorns!!!

After last years big disappointment, i was down in the dumps, but I still think that this team with be one of the best teams in the nation this year. We lost two first rounders in Drew Stubbs and Kyle McCollugh (i forget how to spell it), But up and coming players like Kyle Russel, Clay Van Hook, Adrian Alaniz, Nick Peoples, and Justin Street have promise to make up for their departure.

The Fall World Series is coming up later this month at the Dell Diamond (home of the Round Rock Express) and will be the first chance we get to see them.

Good Luck Horns!

Comment

What? No website? That's it, 7 days of peeling potatoes for Evan. See you later!

http://www.texassports.com/index.php...ange_well_id=1
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Oh, man, my Fresno State Bulldogs could very well be hurting this season. We had at least four juniors picked in the first 10 rounds of the draft and another (our starting catcher for most of the year) transferred to San Diego State during the summer. The four juniors drafted included our standout CF and SS and two of our starting pitchers. The Friday starter was a senior himself, so we don't have any of our regular starting pitchers from last year back. There is some talent jostling for the rotation this year, though.

The kicker of the summer, however, was that our 3B, Beau Mills, transferred to Lewis & Clark College in Idaho. He hit 22 HR his frosh year and was a first-team frosh All-American, then hit 14 more bombs last year before being suspended for not doing schoolwork as agreed to in an academic contract that he signed. He was in line to blow away the school career record for career HR this year, and he could very well be a top-20 pick in the draft next June.

So overall the team will be struggling at quite a few positions and it might be a few more years still until we return to national prominence.

Oh, and we gladly take credit for producing the Texas coach, Augie Garrido.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, and good luck to U of Texas Alum in the playoffs! Go Huston!

Comment

Originally posted by Dravecky43
            The kicker of the summer, however, was that our 3B, Beau Mills, transferred to Lewis & Clark College in Idaho. He hit 22 HR his frosh year and was a first-team frosh All-American, then hit 14 more bombs last year before being suspended for not doing schoolwork as agreed to in an academic contract that he signed. He was in line to blow away the school career record for career HR this year, and he could very well be a top-20 pick in the draft next June.

Anyone there know why Mills transferred? I know Lewis & Clark has produced some good players, (Keith Foulke) but why go to Idaho after succss in California?

Also, Augie Garrido is my roommate's uncle. Hes a great guy, just would like to see him smile every once in a while, and not just in his Time Warner Cable commercials

Comment

Comment

How about a team that over the past five seasons is 10th in shutouts, 8th in hits, 4th in doubles, 3rd in strikeouts and 2nd in home runs, total bases, saves, and by the way had the #1 recruiting class according to Collegiate Baseball this year?

http://uscsports.cstv.com/sports/m-b...sebl-body.html

Although to be honest, I think this is North Carolina's year.

Comment

Almost as good as a team that has won 2 National Championships over the last 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                    Anyone there know why Mills transferred? I know Lewis & Clark has produced some good players, (Keith Foulke) but why go to Idaho after succss in California?

Also, Augie Garrido is my roommate's uncle. Hes a great guy, just would like to see him smile every once in a while, and not just in his Time Warner Cable commercials
                    Mills transferred because of the academic problem. When he was suspended for the remainder of the season in 2006, it was widely accepted around the Valley that he would not return. The coach of the team he played for in the Alaska Summer League is the head coach at Lewis & Clark, so he probably recruited him hard. Oh, and one of Mills' best friends from high school signed with L&C out of a local JC for the 2007 season.

Also, for those that don't know, Beau Mills is the son of Red Sox bench coach Brad.

So your roomates' uncle is one of the most successful college baseball coaches of all time? Awesome! Hey, do you think you could ask him something for me (or have his nephew ask)? He, of course, played Bulldog baseball in the 1950s. After that I think he was an assistant for the team and also the head coach at a local high school (not the one I went to). But I have a book that has a picture of him in a hat of my old high school. Can you find out if Augie was ever an assistant at Bullard High in Fresno? The person in the Texas athletic department that I emailed a few years back said he only knew of the head coaching jobs. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dravecky43
                      So your roomates' uncle is one of the most successful college baseball coaches of all time? Awesome! Hey, do you think you could ask him something for me (or have his nephew ask)? He, of course, played Bulldog baseball in the 1950s. After that I think he was an assistant for the team and also the head coach at a local high school (not the one I went to). But I have a book that has a picture of him in a hat of my old high school. Can you find out if Augie was ever an assistant at Bullard High in Fresno? The person in the Texas athletic department that I emailed a few years back said he only knew of the head coaching jobs. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
                      Yeah, i was friends with this guy long before we got to college, then when we moved in I was talking about how I thought that a lot of UT's baseball success should be attributed to Augie, and he said "Really? Cool. I'll let him know you said that." Needless to say my jaw dropped and called him a liar until i realized they both have the same last name. Its just that Augie Garrido, the way it is said by non-hispanics threw me off.

Well anyway, i'll make sure my roommate asks him.

Comment

Originally posted by jrh31584
                        Although to be honest, I think this is North Carolina's year.

I thought this past year was NC's year. I couldn't believe that error!

Comment

Personally, I don't really have a favorite team that ever does any good, except maybe BC. I also sorta like USC, but my favorite is Northwestern.

I can't stand the 'Horns, but their field is niiiiiiiiice. I was down in Austin this summer and I got to visit the football field, see the baseball field, see the art museum h (though it was pretty cool for an art museum), see the world's first photograph, and get a hamburger and Frosty at the Wendy's on campus.

Comment

Ya Tcu!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                              Personally, I don't really have a favorite team that ever does any good, except maybe BC. I also sorta like USC, but my favorite is Northwestern.

I can't stand the 'Horns, but their field is niiiiiiiiice. I was down in Austin this summer and I got to visit the football field, see the baseball field, see the art museum h (though it was pretty cool for an art museum), see the world's first photograph, and get a hamburger and Frosty at the Wendy's on campus.

Nice man, what were you doing here?

Actually, they are completely renovating the field right now, should be even better. The new Art museum is actually pretty cool, and i dont care about art at all.

Ahh the Wendy's on campus, open til 2 AM, niiiiice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X