This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Floridaguy View Post
    Steve, it would be hard to disagree that pitching is a problem at Penn State. They do give up a lot of runs at times. Hitting is also a big problem as their hitters are hitting over 60 points worse than the opponents. They have 4 starters with batting averages of .200 or under! I disagree that recruiting is tougher for them because they are a northern school. The last 4 series that they were swept in were all to other northern schools that would have exactly the same issues recruiting as they do. Penn State has only beaten Minnesota 2 games in 4 years. Are you saying that it's easier to recruit in Minnesota than Pa? Also, there are other northern schools with far better records than 8-25, St. Johns is doing very well for example with a 26-10 record. Any other ideas anyone as to why Penn State has done so poorly?
    It’s cold-er at Penn State than a lot of other northern schools. Evrn Minnesota’s Success has been up and down. A cold weather school lmight be better due being able to sell good players on staying home. It also depends how well the coach is at recruiting. Most players do prefer to head for warmer weather. Only two players on my son’s travel team went to Penn State. At the time of their decision the program wasn’t terrible.

Boston College has the same problem. The year Vanderbilt won the national championship their #1, #2, closer and cleanup hitter were all from Massachusetts. BC has to compete with southern schools who keep their local kids in the area and steals BC’s top prospects from New England.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• It's Oregon State and Arkansas for the championship starting Monday night. I predict the Razorbacks will win in 3 games to capture their first CWS championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
        It's Oregon State and Arkansas for the championship starting Monday night. I predict the Razorbacks will win in 3 games to capture their first CWS championship.
        Predicting, guessing or hoping? What is the basis for your prediction?

Comment

• Hope. Dave Van Horn is still highly regarded in Nebraska for turning the Cornhuskers program around in the early 2000's.

Comment

• Arkansas is one win away from becoming the CWS champions by winning tonight, 4-1. Game 2 is tomorrow night.

Comment

• Pop (up) goes the championship! I feel sorry for Arkansas’ 2b. Tonight was predictable. When a team blows the opportunity they usually fold up. A couple of years ago I heard when the team that wins the first game loses the second game they usually lose the third. The number was for regions through CWS over the history of the event..

Comment

• When that foul dropped untouched in Game 2, I knew OSU would win the game and probably win the series. The worst possible time to give a team an extra out and it cost Arkansas the championship. Congratulations to Oregon State.

Comment

• Hard to believe that the Final outcome hinged on a foul pop that fell in between a first baseman, second baseman and a right fielder......but it did. All of the steam came out of Arkansas after Oregon State tied up that game and later won it. If they had made that play they win and the series is over now this loss will be hanging over the Arkansas team's head..

Comment

• College baseball players are far more resilient than you think. The two players who could be looking in the mirror are Shaddy (2b) and Cole (rf). Shaddy is a 10th round pick. Cole is a 4th round pick. By next week they will have more important things in baseball to be thinking about.

My son’s team was ranked 4th in the country and expected to go to the CWS. They only had to win one while the other team had to win two in regions. They lost one game in the 8th and another in the 9th. It was the first time I had trouble keeping separation and feeling bad for my son and the players. In three days the draft came up and everyone was fine.

Fans life and die with this stuff for a lifetime. But for the players it’s only three or four years of their life. When the Red Sox finally won a World Series one of the players commented he was happy for the fans. But the 1918 stuff had nothing to do with the current players.
                    Last edited by JettSixty; 06-30-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I ordered this personalized hooded blanket today. Want to know what do you think about it ?
                      I like it.

Comment

• Is an NCAA college obliged to continue a scholarship to a player who has been cut from the team ostensibly solely for merit after school starts or during winter break? If yes, for how long? End of the one year scholarship contract? Until graduation?

And besides any legal minima, do colleges nevertheless do the right thing by honoring original commitments when this happens?

We have heard gruesome stories about colleges that inadvertently end up with more commitments to players than allowable scholarships, and then precipitously cut someone, sometimes before school starts and sometimes in the winter, with the timing such that it is very, very difficult for a student to go through admissions, housing and financial aid/Student Loan application processes elsewhere and perhaps not possible to get the NCAA release needed to move on. We have heard of occasions when they get a replacement player too and set a former team member adrift.

One college discontinued its baseball program at one of its campuses after the recruiting season ended, leaving the entire team including the new recruits up in the air. Another went bankrupt and shut down after the fall semester.

It is not only the baseball but the interference with academics and family budgets that is nettlesome. Thanks.
                        Last edited by rodk; 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Some major conference programs offer four year scholarships. Most players who get cut transfer. They want to play ball. Sometimes kids verbal early and don’t turn into the player the college coach expected. The player will hear, “I will honor my offer. But I don’t see you ever getting on the field.” What baseball player doesn’t run away from this?

At the D1 level it’s not uncommon for there to be more than thirty-five (the limit) players. The team has to cut to thirty-five before the spring opening day.,Its a bigger problem with ranked teams. They’re recruiting high school signing prospects. They have to over recruit. If players show up in college they really expected to sign the roster is oversized.

What you don’t hear about publicly that happens is colleges farming kids out to JuCos for a year or two. A friend’s son went to Vanderbilt. After fall ball his freshman year he was farmed out to a JuCo. He never went back. After that spring he headed for another D1. 4-2-4 is the on,y way to transfer without sitting out a year. But it means attending three colleges.

I played D1 ball. My two kids played D1 baseball/softball. It’s two jobs. None of us had cush majors. We were all STEM majors. It takes discipline and time management skills. Ultimately it’s about setting yourself up for forty years of success not four years of baseball.

Comment

• The SEC is quickly becoming in baseball what it has been in football for years. If you look at the recruiting rankings, Vanderbilt has had four straight #1 overall classes, and yet their rosters have been marginally better than South Carolina, Ole Miss, and others. If you look at the top 10 SEC classes, almost every one is a top 20 overall class.

Tim Corbin has become Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban combined.

Comment

• For those that have attended College Baseball games; how is game day experience different from MLB and MiLB game days?

Comment

• As a fan or a player?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X