No announcement yet.

MLB Scouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense but it would help out more if there was a town or school or something.

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
      No offense but it would help out more if there was a town or school or something.
      Scouts don't hang out somewhere. They travel and check out the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
        Scouts don't hang out somewhere. They travel and check out the talent.
        Ok didn't know that

Comment

I just want to make it clear;

For lefties, it's about the stuff you throw. If you can throw mid 80s, but have some good stuff, big moving splitter, power curve, you've definitely got a better chance that a LHP that hits 90 with bad control on his change and curve.

Righties mainly differ. If you're gonna have speed, you're at least gonna want to have some kind of moving change, or a big loopy curve that you can control.

Comment

I've heard for rightys we need a 90+ fastball, but I've also heard that these rightys are 6"2 and taller, what about a righty who is about 5"10? I know its not impossible to throw 90s at that height (Billy Wagner) but would that pitcher be at a disadvantage or would scouts maybe take a chance on him with an 80's FB?

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianKid View Post
              I've heard for rightys we need a 90+ fastball, but I've also heard that these rightys are 6"2 and taller, what about a righty who is about 5"10? I know its not impossible to throw 90s at that height (Billy Wagner) but would that pitcher be at a disadvantage or would scouts maybe take a chance on him with an 80's FB?
              A short righty throwing in the 80's probably isn't going to be in D1. If he has overwhelming college stats in D2 or D3 he could be a late pick in the draft. I read about a 5'10" kid throwing in the mid 80's won all but one (something like 34-1) of his D3 games. He was drafted really late. I can't remember his name so I don't know what happened to him. Chances are unless he puts up huge stats at each level of the minors his manager probably isn't filing reports on him.

Comment

Originally posted by JCM718 View Post
                I just want to make it clear;

For lefties, it's about the stuff you throw. If you can throw mid 80s, but have some good stuff, big moving splitter, power curve, you've definitely got a better chance that a LHP that hits 90 with bad control on his change and curve.

Righties mainly differ. If you're gonna have speed, you're at least gonna want to have some kind of moving change, or a big loopy curve that you can control.
                Scouts concern themselves with velocity. They figure the pitcher can be taught the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                  Scouts concern themselves with velocity. They figure the pitcher can be taught the rest.
                  Yea but velocity is related with mechanics. And most lefties don't have good mechanics. Coaches can teach mechanics and velocity will grow on them. It's easier to make adjustments than to educate a pitcher with a new pitch.

Comment

A guy from my school played at a CC college and still went pro. As a matter of fact he played in the Bigs as a reliever for 7-8 years. Granted, that was back in 1980 or so but I dont see why it couldnt happen now
                    Middle Infielder

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X