Slump Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slump Help

I'm a junior in high school, and I'm in a huge hitting slump. I'm starting at shortstop for my school's team, and I expected to have a great season. I came off a season in the summer where I batted over .500, and I felt really good coming into this year. I hit 5 in the order, and I'm swinging really well in batting practice, off the tee, etc...There's only one problem; I'm 2-15 on the season and I haven't hit a good hard line drive yet. It climaxed today; I was up in the bottom of the seventh with the bases loaded and two outs. We were down by two and a hit would have tied the game. I battled with two strikes and fouled 3 or 4 pitches off, but ended up striking out on a high fastball and ending the game. I just want to hit the ball hard and help my team win. I really could use some advice. Help me out.
    Last edited by jdbarrett24; 04-19-2007, 07:25 PM.

What is your thought process when you are at the plate? If its buzzing with thoughts, its going to be almost impossible to hit, what I do, is I tend to sing a song in my head and then just watch the pitchers motion in tempo with the song and get the timing down, and then for some reason it helps me to see the ball a lot better. Or if that isn't your type of thing, then just try and clear your head and think positive. Thats what i think might help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdbarrett24 View Post
      There's no way college coaches will be interested in me if I can't put up numbers my junior year,
      Is there any reason why college scouts should be interested to this point? If not, your thought process is all wrong. You need to focus on being a successful high school player first. If you do this the scouts will notice, assuming you're outstanding and dominate games.

I've been there and done it. I played college ball. My oldest kid is starting in college as a freshman. Let's have a little reality check. Has anyone who matters ever told you you're college material or is it just a dream of yours? How good are your hands, feet, foot speed, quickness and agility? How may of the five tools (hitting for average, hitting for power, baserunning skills and speed, throwing ability and fielding abilities) do you potentially possess?

Now if you're not there yet, don't panic about your junior year. You are right, junior year is when most players get noticed if they didn't get noticed their soph year. But it doesn't end with your junior year. A friend's son was at a baseball power and barely got on the field before his senior year. No he didn't get a ride, but he got a walk on roster spot (as opposed to a walk on tryout). He's getting playing time as a freshman in D1 based on his play his senior year of high school. The coach told him if he shows enough promise he'll get a ride next year.

Now about college rides. Assuming a college's baseball program uses all it's available rides it's only 11.7 for D1, 7.5 at D2 and zero for D3. Divide those numbers into twenty-five roster posts and see what you come up with. Don't forget a few D1 studs are getting full rides. There's an ACC school only uses eight of it's allotted 11.7. That's all the athletic department budgeted for the baseball team.

You don't need a ride to play college ball. Get the best grades possible. It allows flexibility. There's 22 times more academic money than athletic money. How do you think a college coach would feel if you get a big academic ride and he doesn't have to give you part of his athletic ride money (assuming you can play)?

Right now just relax and focus on being the best high school player you can be. If you're college material I assume you'll be starting on the Legion team in the summer. Scouts are more impressed with success in Legion play. The competition is tougher than high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles View Post
        what I do, is I tend to sing a song in my head and then just watch the pitchers motion in tempo with the song and get the timing down, and then for some reason it helps me to see the ball a lot better.
        Study the pitcher. Know the situation. Go to the plate with a plan. Tune everything else out. Focus. Concentrate. Execute your plan.

Comment

Yeah ask your coach for some game film of the opposing team and scout the pitching. Learn what he throws in certain situations and delivery ect.

Comment

more thoughts

Right now I'm not so much concerned with college than I am just helping my team win at the high school level. I realized today that alot of my problems arise from not having a consistent approach at the plate. What do you guys advise doing?
            Usually I go up there thinking that I'm gonna hit the first good fastball I see, and I'm expecting to swing at any fastball over the plate even on the first pitch. But now that I'm in this slump, I'm panicking...I'm wondering if I should take a strike and try and get deeper in the count. Either way I need to settle on something so I'm not wavering in my approach when I'm up there. Bottom line I need to take a few good swings and drive a few balls...what do you guys recommend for a solid slump hitting approach?

Comment

Originally posted by jdbarrett24 View Post
              Usually I go up there thinking that I'm gonna hit the first good fastball I see
              What do you consider "the first good fastball?" If it's any strike you're giving the pitcher an advantage. Some strikes are difficult to hit. For the first strike you should be zoning in on a very small area you consider your pitch. Every time the pitcher throws a ball he's more likely to come to the middle of the plate. If he doesn't want to walk you, he won't nibble.

And one more thing. No matter how it's going, you have to go to the plate with the confidence you can hit or the battle is half over before you start. Towards the end of your BP turn, after a few ropes walk away even if you have a few pitches left. You want to go to the plate with your rips in your mind as a fresh mental picture.

You may want to read The Mental Side of Baseball by Harvey Dorfman. It's the best baseball instruction book you will ever read. Do you think it's coincidence twenty-five percent of the book is on mental toughness?

Comment

[QUOTE=jdbarrett24;863446] I'm in a huge rut. There's no way college coaches will be interested in me if I can't put up numbers my junior year..[QUOTE]

That's your problem. You're thinking too much. Just relax. 15 at bats is not a whole season. Remember that. There is plenty of time to get it going.

The thing about slumps is "you have no idea how you get in one, and no idea how to get out of one". It could all turn around tomorrow. It could be a flaw in your swing, approach, timing, who knows. But I know for damn sure that you're not gonna get out of it with negative thoughts. I know it's hard to be positive. We've all been there.

Maybe take a step back and film your swing. See if there is something off. Start over like the season hasn't started yet. Imagine that you are just now getting your first at bat's of the year.

If that don't work, start treating every at bat like it's your last of your life. That should keep you focused no matter what's going through your head

Comment

Hey I'm in the exact situation right now. Im a Freshman in High School and I'm 1-11 on the season. Ive gotten on base a lot but i know how to walk. But im alos a strikeout hazzard. So i dont know what to do.

But im just working hard in practice.

I have broken down my swing a few times and I've figured out what the problem was. Sometimes its the smallest thing in the world. For me, I believe it was my elbow being 2 inches higher than it should. Also, Plate Vision. Make sure you can see the ball. Thats the biggest thing in the world!

Comment

mental aspect of the game

I was listening to the radio the other day and Brian Cashman was talking about Derek Jeter. He said, "Errors are part of the game, injuries are part of the game, slumps are part of the game...Derek Jeter is a great player because he knows how to deal with slumps and errors and times when things aren't going his way." That got me thinking. My new philosophy is that slumps and errors are as much part of the game as running to first is after you hit a ball...that is to say that they are unavoidable parts of baseball that happen (no matter what) to everyone. Another skill set you can have as a player is to learn to deal with slumps the right way; by getting yourself pumped up and focused to break out of it. That way, correctly responding to a slump is as key as a tool as arm strength or speed (not literally, but in a sense). I feel like this is a really good way to stay positive and look at things. The mental aspect is such a huge part of the game, and the biggest mental challenge is staying positive when times get tough. I think we can all think of a couple of times we've been in slumps. I think that slumps and errors are literally ingrained parts of the game, they can never be avoided, it's just about how you deal with them when you are forced to encounter them at some point.

Comment

In high school and college, when I was in a slump, I found getting away from baseball the cure. I always thought that if I just go to BP and not worry about the pitcher or other distractions, it would get better. Sometimes, I actually took less BP. Just getting away might help.
                      Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.

Comment

hitting slumps

It helps not to get frustrated, and don't try to hard, if you go up there thinking I have hit, i have to hit, you more than likely won't, go up there and be relaxed, and you'll break out in no time

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X