College anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College anyone?

Yellowdogs two threads have me wondering, who here at baseball fever follows college baseball? If so which school.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Also, if you don't like it, why not? I'm guessing aluminium bats is a big reason (personally, I can see financially why their used but even I didn't like aluminium bats...too light!).
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

I follow my alma mata and local team Clemson and go to as many games as I can. They usually have a strong team (11th in the latest polls) and playing in the ACC, I get to see some pretty good teams and players each year. I'm looking forward to the season opener next Tuesday against UNC-Charlotte and hopefully the weather will be nice. I also noticed we have home series' this year against ranked teams Auburn (10th), South Carolina (7th), North Carolina (17th) and Florida State (25th) which I'll be looking forward to as well. I follow the ACC and SEC the closest but I keep an eye on the national scene as well. And I think the college World Series is one of the most exciting sporting events there is.

I dislike the aluminum bats for various reasons. The biggest reasons is how they pervert the game offensively and put the pitchers at a great disadvantage. Many good college pitchers never learn to pitch inside because of those bats. I guess they use them for financial reasons since wood bats would pit a strain on the athletic budgets of the smaller schools. I love college baseball in spite of the aluminum war clubs, but the games would be much more enjoyable if some type of solution could be worked out where wood bats could be used.

Comment

I make as many Rice games as possible, which will be quite a few now that I'm semi retired(no, not semi retarded). What a season last year. I make a few UH(Univ. of Houston) games as well. I'm going to be a volunteer worker with a local HS team, keeping score, charting pitches, etc...
        "I wanted to be a big league baseball player so I could see my picture on a bubblegum card."Al Ferrara

Comment

We're fortunate to have two smaller schools where I live (U. of Evansville is DI, U. of So. Indiana is DII) that both have decent teams. I pitched at U.S.I. in the early nineties, and as you may have guessed, was not a fan of aluminum. However, they've now gone to wood during conference games.

The college baseball atmosphere is a lot of fun. I have great memories of road trips where parents traveled with us and tried to give us some assemblance of on-the-road support, spring trips to SC and GA, and lots of goofing around at hotels. The camaraderie built among my teammates and I will last a lifetime. Being a SP, I had plenty of time between starts to engage in deep philosophical discussions with my fellow starters.

And I agree with yellowdog, the CWS is awesome. I'm glad that ESPN gives it the coverage it deserves.
          "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

I'm a Wichta State Shocker alum and follow them as close as I can living in NYC. It looks like we're still in the same funk that has kept us barely above mediocrity but out of the super regionals for several years now. The recurring story seems to be one of strong pitching but no hitting in the crunch. We'll win the MVC again but probably won't make it out of regionals.

Lamearm, that was a great Rice team last year...a lot of fun to watch. Put the wood (or should I say metal) to my boys in the regional.

Comment

I sorta follow the Cal State Fullerton Titans, mostly because they are about 20 minutes from where I'm currently staying, and because most of the students at my college (UC Irvine) are transfers from there. The only alumni that I can think of that made it to the big leagues are Kirk Saarloos and Tim Wallach.
              SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
              "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

The Bullwinkle follows college ball, because:

1. It's baseball at it's purest.
                2. My Son plays for a Div 1 Team in SoCal.
                "I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?" Yogi Berra

Comment

College ball

I still keep tabs on all of the old Southwest Conference teams. Year in and year out, that was some of the best college baseball around. Now that they are divided up into a few different conferences it gets difficult to keep track of all of them, but at least the Minute Maid College Classic here each Feb allows me to see some of them.
                  "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again."

Comment

I love college baseball. I usually go to as many ASU games as possible each year. The season starts off this weekend with a big series against Long Beach State at home. Go Devils!

Comment

I usually watch alot of college baseball, I am a huge ND fan. But at the same time, I watch more college sports in general than I do the pro's.
                      Baseball Fever's 2000 member..

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle
                        The Bullwinkle follows college ball, because:

1. It's baseball at it's purest.
                        2. My Son plays for a Div 1 Team in SoCal.
                        If it was pure, they wouldn't use metal bats.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra
                          If it was pure, they wouldn't use metal bats.

Bob
                          Bob: If you have the $$$ to provide all levels of college baseball the ability to buy the wood bats....that would be wonderful.

College Baseball is not a profit making sport (compared to Football and Basketball) and therefore do not have the Money for....here comes math....
                          30 players X $75.00 per bat X 6 bats for games X 3 bats for BP equals $40,500. thats per year and includes 0 broken bats. Breaking a bat happens in each game...sometimes more than one. College plays approx 50 games a year, so lets est it at 1.5 per game, that's 75 x 50 X 1.5 equals $5,625 so on the LOW side .... that's $46,125 per team X 400 Div 1 schools X 400 Div 11 schools X 400 Div 111 schools equals $55,350,000 remember that's PER YEAR. If you add in all the JC's......Never mind, I think I've made my point.

http://ncaa-baseball.com/

my head hurts
                          Last edited by Bullwinkle; 01-31-2005, 02:56 PM.
                          "I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?" Yogi Berra

Comment

I don't really have a decent college where I live, aside from the University of Maryland, there are no D1-A programs within an hour's drive of where I live. h Love college baseball though. My favorites are Boston College, Northwestern, and USC.
                            Last edited by Erik Bedard; 09-20-2006, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I root for TCU and Baylor. I love college baseball. You should check out a game at A&M when they are good, it's unreal.
                              Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X