Any true shot at college baseball?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any true shot at college baseball?

Hello! My name is Caleb. Not sure if I should even be making this thread of if it's a good idea but, I was just wondering if the people on here could give me their opinions. Obviously, considering you wont be seeing me play live in a game it's a hard tell but I am wondering if I have any actual shot at college baseball. I've emailed coaches and such but all I've ever gotten in response is that we have a upcoming camp or you should make it out to one of our games. I don't know if those are good or bad responses. Regardless, I am 6 foot 3 inches, around 185 lbs and I am a RHP/1st. My velocity in the offseason has stuck around low 80s consistently hitting 81 and topping at 83. My coach tells me my velocity should spike once the season gets going and I am throwing everyday. I'm not sure the science behind that but that's what I can believe. I'm 16 years old, and a Junior in highschool, I played varsity as a sophomore and consider myself a solid pitcher. I want to play division III baseball but I feel like my chances are so slim because there are SOOO many other people. Last season I pitched around 23.1 Innings, I had a era around 2.8 with 24 strikeouts in 7 appearences, 8 total earned runs. I feel like these are good stats, but I'm not so sure. I'm just wondering what you guys think about me. Do you think if I keep working hard I can make it to college? Thanks guys!

You can definitely play D3 cruising 80+. Chances are the invites to camps are nothing more than an opportunity to help finance their spring trip. But contacting coaches was a good idea. What you should have asked is what showcases they attend. Your size is ideal. Keep getting stronger. Your unweighted GPA matters more than your ERA. The level of competition affects your ERA. On the mound what matters is velocity, ability to locate and composure.

Do you play summer ball? Is it Legion or a travel team. The right travel team will get you in front of the right college coaches. Are your grades in the top 25% of the class. If so, consider a Head First showcase. Where do you live and how far away from home are you willing to go to showcase and go to college?

Both my kids played D1. I’m less knowledgeable on the specifics of D3 recruiting other than how a former teammate/friend coaching a ranked D3 does recruiting in his area. Here’s what I recommend. Join hsbaseballweb. Title your first post “D3 prospect needs help” and post what you posted here along with your gpa, where you’re located and how far you’re willing to go away to college. There are a lot of posters with kids doing what you’re doing, their kids are in college ball or are past college ball. Some posters are travel coaches. Good luck.

Comment

Check out @FlatGroundApp on Twitter. Then post a video of yourself and tag that account. Include your vitals and ask for any tips. LOTS of players are making connections with college coaches on that account.

Comment

Make sure your coach sends all your teams' information to Max Preps http://www.maxpreps.com/national/baseball.htm.

My nephew is a basketball player, and he was unknown as a 9th grader. His team did not supply information to Max Preps until this year. Now, his high school team has 3 2-star players in the 10th grade, and one of them has a shot to move to 3-stars.

Comment

Unless a kid is in a recognized powerhouse conference stats are irrelevant. The level of competition can’t be quantified. They way to be found is not wait to be found as he’s done by contacting coaches. It would be better for coaches with credibility to presell him so college coaches want to see him.

Comment

I'm assuming you can't hit well because you only listed pitching stats. Practice a lot. If your mechanics aren't sound then get them sound and be able to repeat your delivery flawlessly. Do you have friends to practice with? If not draw a strike zone on a block/brick wall. Hit the corners, hit the edges, come to a good stance out of your windup. Charge in and field the ball off the wall. Get fundamentally sound so you almost never screw up. Don't hurt your elbow throwing (practicing) breaking pitches unless you have a really, really dominant breaking pitch. Like getting yourself 10-12 K per complete game with it dominant. Otherwise shelve it. You'll just hurt your arm. Your next pitch is all that matters. Your previous pitches are excellent reference points to make the next pitch your best pitch. That's all that matters. The next pitch. Play as much as you realistically can. You must have a local legion team.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
              I'm assuming you can't hit well because you only listed pitching stats. Practice a lot. If your mechanics aren't sound then get them sound and be able to repeat your delivery flawlessly. Do you have friends to practice with? If not draw a strike zone on a block/brick wall. Hit the corners, hit the edges, come to a good stance out of your windup. Charge in and field the ball off the wall. Get fundamentally sound so you almost never screw up. Don't hurt your elbow throwing (practicing) breaking pitches unless you have a really, really dominant breaking pitch. Like getting yourself 10-12 K per complete game with it dominant. Otherwise shelve it. You'll just hurt your arm. Your next pitch is all that matters. Your previous pitches are excellent reference points to make the next pitch your best pitch. That's all that matters. The next pitch. Play as much as you realistically can. You must have a local legion team.
              Legion ball is mediocre ball in most areas of the country now. Where my son played ball Lefiin was varsity bench and JV players. To be seen takes a quality travel team or quality individual showcases. The local colleges usually know who the best local players are. The competition in travel ball also better prepares the player for the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

Legion ball is mediocre ball in most areas of the country now. Where my son played ball Lefiin was varsity bench and JV players. To be seen takes a quality travel team or quality individual showcases. The local colleges usually know who the best local players are. The competition in travel ball also better prepares the player for the next level.
                Totally agree. Just was saying Legion ball is a good way to get some playing time. The local colleges definitely know. I think people would be surprised how much area scouts know. I am from as deep in Appalachia as there is (500 kids in high school 9-12) and we've had 3 kids go D1 and get drafted in the last 20 years and had major league scouts at our high school games. The Blue Jays have good area scouts in PA. They scouted all of them and more. The Mets are always poking around too. This is since the mid-90's, anyhow.
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X