No announcement yet.

What’s a dad to do? Too much baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s a dad to do? Too much baseball?

Hey everyone. Long time lurker of this forum and finally registered to get some help.

Some background:

I have trained my son for several years and he’s developed into a beast. He’s ranked top in his rec league and all star league and loves the game. I have coached his team along with my younger sons team this season and I am flat out exhausted.

We have 3 travel teams that are interested in him playing. Tryouts are very close by and honestly I am stressed. Looking at this season and the schedules of the other travel teams, I am feeling like my family has no balance and he might be sacrificing big parts of his childhood due to all this baseball.

Do you guys think I would be a terrible person if I kept him in rec ball even if he doesn’t have much challenge? We would still train indoors and keep working on his development.

I don’t want to hurt his baseball career, and feel so confused. Thoughts?

He’s 10 btw!

Comment

How far did you go in baseball? In sports? He’s ten and you’ve trained him for several years? What is several years? What is training? Why does he need to train indoors? Doesn’t he play other sports? Doesn’t he have other interests? The two “beasts” at 9u and 10u in our program started to fail at baseball when they hit the big field at 13u. They couldn’t outmuscle the field anymore. Neither made their high school team.

My son played baseball from March through the first week of August until he was in high school. From age 9-12 he has rec ball and all stars with a town level travel schedule. He didn’t play past July 1 until 9/10’s. He played three other sports until he played baseball and one other in high school. In high school he started hear round focus on baseball even though he played o5er sports. He played D1 ball and had an opportunity to go further. I also have a daughter who played D1 softball.

The journey is a marathon not a sprint. The goal should be high school and possibly beyond. The spring doesn’t start until getting to the big die,d. 13u is two years from high school ball.
      Last edited by JettSixty; 06-26-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I always wonder if the “my ten year old beast son” posts are legit or an attempt at reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
          How far did you go in baseball? In sports? He’s ten and you’ve trained him for several years? What is several years? What is training? Why does he need to train indoors? Doesn’t he play other sports? Doesn’t he have other interests? The two “beasts” at 9u and 10u in our program started to fail at baseball when they hit the big field at 13u. They couldn’t outmuscle the field anymore. Neither made their high school team.

My son played baseball from March through the first week of August until he was in high school. From age 9-12 he has rec ball and all stars with a town level travel schedule. He didn’t play past July 1 until 9/10’s. He played three other sports until he played baseball and one other in high school. In high school he started hear round focus on baseball even though he played o5er sports. He played D1 ball and had an opportunity to go further. I also have a daughter who played D1 softball.

The journey is a marathon not a sprint. The goal should be high school and possibly beyond. The spring doesn’t start until getting to the big die,d. 13u is two years from high school ball.
          I didn't go very far, I stopped playing ball prior to high school. My father was drafted for AAA ball and then we started having issues at home and life kind of fell apart as a family unfortunately.

Several years, should actually be a few years, two to be exact. In that time he went from average to skilled. We have mostly focused on his pitching and hitting mechanics, also trained for secondary positions (catcher and short).

Hoping he can still hold his own when he hits the big field.

I appreciate the comment that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I also appreciate hearing that someone else had success without jumping on the bandwagon too early.

Comment

Forgot to mention, he is not interested in other sports. Which worries me; should he burn out as I don't want his psychological state to be influenced by this should it not work out. Surprisingly he is into the guitar and cooking, so he has that going.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
              I always wonder if the “my ten year old beast son” posts are legit or an attempt at reaction.
              Ha, nope this is legit. He is a big boy, top of the percentile....which helps for the time being. Anxious to see how he performs when the others catch up.

Comment

Two kids my son played with in 9u and 10u community based travel (essentially the all stars playing other local tournaments) were physically dominating preteen players. Neither of them were dominant as teens. Neither made their high school teams. One of the mothers was absolutely arrogant about her son getting a full college baseball scholarship. She didn’t believe me when I told her it doesn’t happen. The kid wasn’t very dominant when he grew to be 5’8”.

As you’ve noted being the bigger kid helps during the prepuberty years. My son was the dominant five foot 12yo who grew to be 6’2” 195 as a college player. I’m 6’1”. His mother is 5’8”. His sister is 5’10”. How tall are you? How tall is his mother. A wive's tale our pediatrician said is somewhat accurate is boys usually grow to be 6-8 inches taller than the mother.

The most important thing is your son enjoys the game. That he’s not chasing some goal that’s so far off in the distance (high school, college, pro ball) it’s not even visible at this point. I never looked past this year and next year with my kids until high school. My daughter verballed for college softball at fifteen freshman year of high school. Girls recruiting is different since they physically mature sooner. My son was ten at the time. He declared he was going to play baseball at Louisville. I suggested he make the middle school team before he starts making claims like that. He wasn’t far off though. He played against Louisville every year in college.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X