Can my son play up in USSSA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my son play up in USSSA?

I want to register my son in USSSA for the fall season. He will be 5 on May 6th so he misses the 5U cutoff by 5 days. Most of his friends will be on 5U, is he allowed to play up or will he need to play in 4U?

Thank you!

It’s ok to play up in USSSA. The only age rule is not playing past an age deadline (too old for age group).

I’mcurious what 5u travel is about. How far do you travel? Do you play in a league or weekend tournaments? How long and how many games in a season?

Comment

Thank you! This will be our first year playing so I'm not positive on some of your questions but he'll be playing in a league in our town and they are supposed to play teams in the surrounding area (within 30 min). They have 2 weekend tournaments each season as well. They don't have a schedule posted yet so I don't know how many games they'll be playing in a season.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
        It’s ok to play up in USSSA. The only age rule is not playing past an age deadline (too old for age group).

I’mcurious what 5u travel is about. How far do you travel? Do you play in a league or weekend tournaments? How long and how many games in a season?

Thank you! This will be our first year playing so I'm not positive on some of your questions but he'll be playing in a league in our town and they are supposed to play teams in the surrounding area (within 30 min). They have 2 weekend tournaments each season as well. They don't have a schedule posted yet so I don't know how many games they'll be playing in a season.

Comment

Just curious, why would four and five year olds have to play anything but in a local town tee ball program? Why do they need to play in tournaments? The team with the best postgame snack wins. Other than the LL all star state tournament I don’t believe my son traveled farther than fifteen miles before he was playing 13u. What does a kid gain by playing USSSA 5u ball?

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
            Just curious, why would four and five year olds have to play anything but in a local town tee ball program? Why do they need to play in tournaments? The team with the best postgame snack wins. Other than the LL all star state tournament I don’t believe my son traveled farther than fifteen miles before he was playing 13u. What does a kid gain by playing USSSA 5u ball?
            We are playing in the local league, but they play under the USSSA guidelines, hence my initial question. We live in a small town so the travel is only due to the number of teams in the area. I assume they’ll be in tournaments because that’s what is posted on our league website, it doesn’t specify if only certain age groups will be in the tournaments, we haven’t received a schedule yet.

Comment

I’ve been through this journey as a parent from kiddie ball through D1 softball and baseball with my kids. I’ve also been through it as a former D1 baseball player. Sometimes what the parents believe is needed and provides them with entertainment is not in the best interest of young kids.

Four and five five year old kids do not need tournaments. Tournaments involve playing two or three games in a day over a weekend. One game in a day is enough for a small child. The kids are into hitting the concession stand for ice cream after the game and then the jungle gym. It’s the parents who get all fired up over tournament ball and multiple games in a day. For some parents it gives them a social life. For the parents of the better kids they revel in being the parent of “that kid.”

At your son’s age kids should be learning the fundamentals of the game in a fun format. Half of them don’t even know who won when the games are over. How important is four and five year old ball in the big picture. (playing high school or college ball)? It’s not. Neither of my kids played until they were seven. My daughter wasn’t interested until friends started signing up. My son stated hitting off a tee at eighteen months. But he chose to hang out and practice with his (five years older) sister’s 12u travel softball practice (when she was eleven) than play six year old baseball.

Five year olds should play one game and go play in the park, go to the zoo or to the beach. Baseball shouldn’t become an all day thing until they’re much older.

If you don’t watch this entire video watch from 7:20 to 8:40. Thisnis from a friend who believes youth sports has gone awry.

https://www.bobbigelow.com/speaker-information-pkg.htm
              Last edited by JettSixty; 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

As I stated in my previous comment, we don't have a schedule yet and the tournaments listed on the site may be for older kids. I just wanted to know if my son could play up to be with his friends, not for any other reason. It's just baseball and he's only 4 years old. If you don't agree with our child playing baseball at his age, that's your opinion. We are in no way forcing him to play nor are we concerned with high school or college baseball, he's FOUR. He asked to play with his friends who are on a team, I was merely asking about the rules since I was unable to find a concrete answer on USSSA's website.

Comment

Just don’t take it seriously. USSSA is too organized for this age group. There will be parents who see it as competitive baseball.USSSA has a 5u tee ball World Series.,Kids this age would be better served if you could get sixteen kids to show up on Saturday for a pickup game.,

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X