Going the club route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going the club route

Hello, long time lurker here. Thank you for the years of learning. I'm really hoping to hear some perspective regarding whether/when/best reasons why to transition to club ball.

Our son enjoys multiple sports, and baseball is his favorite. We are on a neighborhood team (Dad is a coach). He will be 10U this spring and has played two seasons of kid-pitch. We did not play fall this year.

Thank you so much for sharing your perspectives or if there is anything you would have done differently.

First, understand travel does not make the bill player. But better players tend to gravitate to travel. At ten years old I believe kids should play with their local friends as their primary team and travel for extra ball into the summer. Unfortunately, there are some rec leagues that are really bad. What matters for preteens on a small field is learning solid fundamentals. This means good instruction and coaching. There are plenty of bad coaches providing little or no instruction in travel. Travel isn’t always the answer. Some travel coaches recruit early bloomers who make them look good. Once your son is 13u you should start looking for the best challenge available.

My son played LL and a Sunday travel doubleheader league simultaneously. The kids were the best players from our LL and prospective LL all stars. As coach of the travel team I was in contact with all the LL coaches regarding pitching usage and who needed rested pitchers early in the week. From 13u to 16u he played exclusively on a top elite regional travel team I coached. At 17u he played on a college prospect team.

Add: My son didn’t play fall ball until high school. He went on to college ball. He was a multi sport high school athlete.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X