Trying to Date Historic Aluminum Bats By Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Date Historic Aluminum Bats By Year

I'm a huge baseball bat fanatic and I love the history of aluminum bats. I have been scouring the internet and various books, tryna find the year that certain easton and tpx bats came out. I found a decent catalog for Easton bats, but nothing on Louisville.

H&B has gone through so many phases and has been competitive at each era. Through the years of aluminum bats, there are specific high point years, 1987, 1998, early 2000, etc.

With these years in mind, I am trying to collect and study old baseball bats. I look on ebay as a method of searching for older models and usually they're missing the year. Is there a catalog or timeline that Hillerich and Bradsby has that the dates of specific models?

I found a bat modeled TPX Model Sl18 which is the Full Barrel. It's patent was approved in 1995 and it isn't BESR certified, so it has to date between 95 and 98. I saw no players using the bat in the 98 CWS. They were instead using the Air Attack, most likely from 1997, the air attack 2 from 98 (was there really any difference other than a better bladder), the 97 Mega Barrel and Pro Cup, and the Omaha, unknown year.

Where can I find such a catalog of Tpx bats by year? That would be amazing for my research and collection of historic Aluminum bats. I have various historic aluminum bats like the OG B5, Air Attack and a Redline C-Core. I'm looking for a Z2K and a bat from 1987 from Louisville. I will be getting a Hot Bat from the 70s soon.

Does anyone know where I can find historic bat models by year in a catalog or somewhere?

Chris

No. I've been trying to do the same thing. I can tell you that pictured TPX bats with these style decals are from the early to mid-1990s. I used them in high school. I base most of my bat-dating for metal bats on my personal recollection from playing ball. Good luck.
    HUGE-BAT-Louisville-Slugger-TPX-Baseball-Full.jpg
    See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
      No. I've been trying to do the same thing. I can tell you that pictured TPX bats with these style decals are from the early to mid-1990s. I used them in high school. I base most of my bat-dating for metal bats on my personal recollection from playing ball. Good luck.
      HUGE-BAT-Louisville-Slugger-TPX-Baseball-Full.jpg
      That bat is from 1994. I know that for sure.
      Usually the patent, trademark, and certifications on the bat is a way to find a date range, but it doesn't give precise dates. The Cu31 composition means it precedes 1996, since Louisville switched to c405 in 1996 and c405 plus in 97 and the patent for the Full Barrel had applications going back to 1993 whereas the Pro Cup wasn't registered for trademark until 1995. I've used this narrowing down technique to find some bats, like the one in this video, that is incorrectly dated at 1992, when it actually is from 1995.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51X...=ChadLongworth
      Or this one, which was from 1997, the Mega Barrel, correctly dated.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioz...aseballBatBros

Comment

Originally posted by Crixus044 View Post
        That bat is from 1994. I know that for sure.
        Usually the patent, trademark, and certifications on the bat is a way to find a date range, but it doesn't give precise dates. The Cu31 composition means it precedes 1996, since Louisville switched to c405 in 1996 and c405 plus in 97 and the patent for the Full Barrel had applications going back to 1993 whereas the Pro Cup wasn't registered for trademark until 1995. I've used this narrowing down technique to find some bats, like the one in this video, that is incorrectly dated at 1992, when it actually is from 1995.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51X...=ChadLongworth
        Or this one, which was from 1997, the Mega Barrel, correctly dated.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioz...aseballBatBros
        I remember that Bat Bros video. Dating these bats certainly isn't easy. There aren't as many available sources online as there are for wood bats, especially LS. Good luck. I'll be following this thread. I have a few I'll post when I get the chance.
        See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X