My High school basball team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My High school basball team

Hi.Im new to this site but not new to baseball.Anyway,little background info im 14 6'6 and play first base.Anyway, is it common for coaches to be biased to freshman (9th graders)?? Because we have had 3 games and I havent even got to play any.None of the freshman have.It makes me mad because I am better than most people on the field and yet the coach wont put me on the field.Have any of you ever had this problem?? It makes me mad.And all the money I put into buying cleats and all the other stuff and I dont even play.And I could be a DH even but the coach wont even do that.And I am a great hitter.

Originally posted by braves_fan1025 View Post
    Hi.Im new to this site but not new to baseball.Anyway,little background info im 14 6'6 and play first base.Anyway, is it common for coaches to be biased to freshman (9th graders)?? Because we have had 3 games and I havent even got to play any.None of the freshman have.It makes me mad because I am better than most people on the field and yet the coach wont put me on the field.Have any of you ever had this problem?? It makes me mad.And all the money I put into buying cleats and all the other stuff and I dont even play.And I could be a DH even but the coach wont even do that.And I am a great hitter.
    Just sit back, watch and learn. The bench is the best place to learn from other's mistakes. Also, notice what they do right. If you're as good as you think you are, you'll get your chance.

Practice like you play.

Comment

Why aren't you on the freshman or JV team. I'm not sure why you mentioned size. While size will get you noticed, talent gets you on the field. It's not uncommon for upperclassmen to get a chance to fail before younger players get an opportunity on varsity. My son could start on varsity as a freshman. He's starting on JV (better than the freshman team). He was told there's a good chance he'll finish the season on varsity.

Comment

I just metioned sixe for a little background info.Im new to to this site.Nothing really important.We dont have a freshman or JV team.We are a very small school.We dont have enough people for Jv or freshman team.And by the way.I got to play today for a inning and a half.I made one out.I could of made two but the short stop threw a bad throw to me.And I had one At-bat and struck out.But its the first time ive had an at-bat in 3 years.Just to let you know.Im happy. By the way I sat on the bench so much ,I found out another teams steal sign.

Comment

small school too btu i got to start last year as a freshman in our second game in LF then the next one @ 3rd (which i hated but playings playing ) then i took the shortstop job from a senior he dint like it but i was like this is wher i wana play and i do it better have fun in Cf youll get a chance take advantage of the oppertunity like i did and youll be starting more often

Comment

I am a senior on my varsity team. I wasn't on varsity until this year. Even at that all I get to do is pitch. Just work hard in practice, do what your coach tells you to and when your number is called give it your all.

Comment

Sometimes the coaches will go with the maturity of a senior over a freshman.
              the reason is exactly why you are acting the way you are. You have the young bull -vs- old bull syndrome and it is not your fault. Your hormones and body are raging and you are becoming a man. You are in transition, sit back and work on your mechanics. At 6'6" you are going to have leverage throwing that most guys dont. Work hard in practice. Coaches usually wait til the end of the season to bring in the younger and future players.

Put yourself in the shoes of a senior that you might be replacing. Do you want some freshman taking your spot right before prom? Thats what they are thinking and you should show some respect.

I have been in your shoes and am old enough to reflect on it!!

Comment

Thats true.I never looked at it from a seniors point of view.And as the season winds down im getting more playing time.It makes sense that he puts the older players in before me.

Comment

Braves_fan, just have patience and perseverance. My son started his first year of high school on the freshman team as a 1st baseman, but didn’t play, except as the DH. Decided he needed to change positions, so decided to go behind the plate and got an opportunity to start when the starting catcher missed a tournament over Spring Break because his parents took him on vacation. My son got the nod from the coach and pretty much started every game for the rest of the year.

The varsity team made it to the playoffs that year and he was called up as a backup catcher and left-handed hitter if needed. The team was one and out so he never saw the field that game, but it was a great experience for him.

His sophomore season he thought for sure he’d be called up to varsity, the coach had other plans and my son started on the JV team. We figured that this was good, because he got lots of playing time and AB’s on the JV team, when he would have had limited playing time if he was on varsity.

His junior season he was crushed when the coach promoted a sophomore over him and my son was again left on the JV team. Now this season he should have started on the varsity level, but the coach saw it differently and my son just pushed on and refused to give up.

His senior season, he was finally moved up to varsity, but came in as probably the third catcher in the rotation. There was last year’s sophomore (now a junior) and the coach promoted another sophomore who got more looks in practice and preseason then my son.

Determined to play, my son did everything asked of him and never showed any disappointment or resentment to the other two younger catchers. He was the model teammate and senior leader on the team even though early in the preseason he saw limited game time.

Well, the other two struggled and by the time preseason was ending my son had worked his way into the starting lineup. Here is what happened from there.

He lead his team in all offensive categories hitting .412, with a .735 slugging % and only three K’s in 68 AB’s in a tough Southern California conference. He was an All-League selection, received the Coaches Award (coaches' choice MVP), and was selected to play in the regional East/West All-Star game; remember, this was the kid who hadn’t played varsity before and wasn’t a starter at the beginning of the year.

He now plays ball in college and oddly enough, the only other kid from last year's varsity team to make a college team, was the catcher my son beat out four years ago, who since he wasn’t catching any longer decided he’d move to the outfield and pitch his freshman year and that’s how he got recruited. . . as a pitcher. Oh, and last year was his first year on varsity also.

So, just stick with it and don’t give up, hard work and perseverance will pay off in the long run and probably help you in accomplishing your goals in the future.

Good luck to you,
                  Last edited by mudvnine; 05-08-2008, 11:43 PM.
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X