Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18, haven't played since little league, and want to play my Senior year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 18, haven't played since little league, and want to play my Senior year.

Thread says it all.

I'm obsessed with the sport. I spend hours on these forums, I watched every Met game I could this year, and I love everything about the sport... I want to come back and play this year, and continue onto college.

The problem is, I don't know if I can do it. And if I could, I have no idea where to begin.

You see, I am standing at 5' 7", and I'm around 160 pounds. I am a small size, but I'm very out of shape. I'm not in anyway overweight or underweight, but I have no muscle as I don't exercise on my own, as I don't see a need for it.. But if I begin playing again, I want to start again.

I also want to be able to keep up with the other players of my age group. I realize that These guys can pitch damn fast, hit damn hard, and run damn fast. At this point, right now, I have nothing that can beat them, and I fear that I just don't have enough time to reach their level, and I don't even know how I'd do it.

What do you guys suggest (Workout, drill, practice wise)... I want to be ready for sometime around February / March, to at least be able to keep up with everyone, and really make something of this... Do you suggest hiring a hitting coach? What workouts do you suggest?

This is my call to this forum - I need help. I really want to play the game, I love the game, but I don't think I could afford sitting out this season and waiting until college to start up again... I'm asking for you guys to give any help you possibly could from the internet... I'll have some people help me in "The real world"

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks guys.
    Ya Gotta Believe!

Yes, I'm a Flyers and Eagles fan, too.

Training programs-

Beginner: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Intermediate: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Comment

To be honest the odds are very stacked against you unless your high school program is weak and you're very athletic. In most high school programs many expereinced players (from LL through high school JV ball) don't make varsity. First you need to get in shape. Then you need to do agility drills. Then you have about four months indoors to do five years of catching up on fielding, throwing and hitting. The only way I can see catching up from a hitting standpoint is hitting against Pro Batter. It simulates a pitcher on the screen. It can be programmed to mix pitches. In travel we mix 84 mph and 80 mph fastballs with 72 mph curves in a twenty pitch sequence. You have four months to develop an eye for hitting the curve. To be honest, your best bet to be around the game is to offer to be a team manager or scorekeeper. Then get in a rec baseball league in the summer.

Comment

Can you pitch? You can circumvent the need for athleticism and being able to hit if you can. Otherwise, I see it as a real longshot. At your age, you can get into shape rather quickly. However, hitting can be something that you have an aptitude for or you don't. As TG has mentioned it's likely that even some players the coaches already believe are good players aren't going to make the varsity team. You've got a limited amount of roster positions. Returning varsity kids are in for sure. There are kids that played JV that the coaches feel could have played varsity if the spots were available - they're in. There are kids that played well at the JV level that are all but in. That leaves few (if any) varsity positions available.

What have you got to lose by trying? Nothing. I walked on my college football team. I decided a year prior and trained like Rocky. I made the team and saw a little playing time. Looking back, even had I not made the team it would've been worth the effort. I'd probably still regret not trying if I didn't, so if its what you want go for it full throttle.

If you don't make the HS team, there's JC baseball the next year. I believe it's easier to make a JC team than HS.
        There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
          If you don't make the HS team, there's JC baseball the next year. I believe it's easier to make a JC team than HS.
          Not if it's a JuCo that takes it's baseball seriously. These teams can beat D1 teams.

Comment

Talking about community colleges. My friends son made a CC team. He played JV baseball in HS, but didn't make the varsity team and got cut his senior year.
            There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyEye View Post
              Thread says it all.

I'm obsessed with the sport. I spend hours on these forums, I watched every Met game I could this year, and I love everything about the sport... I want to come back and play this year, and continue onto college.

The problem is, I don't know if I can do it. And if I could, I have no idea where to begin.

You see, I am standing at 5' 7", and I'm around 160 pounds. I am a small size, but I'm very out of shape. I'm not in anyway overweight or underweight, but I have no muscle as I don't exercise on my own, as I don't see a need for it.. But if I begin playing again, I want to start again.

I also want to be able to keep up with the other players of my age group. I realize that These guys can pitch damn fast, hit damn hard, and run damn fast. At this point, right now, I have nothing that can beat them, and I fear that I just don't have enough time to reach their level, and I don't even know how I'd do it.

What do you guys suggest (Workout, drill, practice wise)... I want to be ready for sometime around February / March, to at least be able to keep up with everyone, and really make something of this... Do you suggest hiring a hitting coach? What workouts do you suggest?

This is my call to this forum - I need help. I really want to play the game, I love the game, but I don't think I could afford sitting out this season and waiting until college to start up again... I'm asking for you guys to give any help you possibly could from the internet... I'll have some people help me in "The real world"

Thanks guys.
              Here's what I would recommend to you. I was in your position. I played little league and sandlot ball when I was young, fell away from that, and fell back in love with the game in HS and found myself climbing an uphill battle.

I would ask if you can be the manager for your team. Not the ML manager - not the head coach, but the guy who carries the equipment bag, helps keep score, gives the guys gatorade, might hit fungo or catch for the bullpen.

It's not glamorous - you won't date any hot softball players or hit the game winning home run, but you'll be involved with the game, get your own uniform and get to be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinWI View Post
                Here's what I would recommend to you. I was in your position. I played little league and sandlot ball when I was young, fell away from that, and fell back in love with the game in HS and found myself climbing an uphill battle.

I would ask if you can be the manager for your team. Not the ML manager - not the head coach, but the guy who carries the equipment bag, helps keep score, gives the guys gatorade, might hit fungo or catch for the bullpen.

It's not glamorous - you won't date any hot softball players or hit the game winning home run, but you'll be involved with the game, get your own uniform and get to be involved.
                I was in that same position myself (pretty much). I played LL through 6th grade and then Babe Ruth ball in 8th and 9th grade. Tried out for the school team in 9th, 10th and 12th grades. I didn't make the team any year. I still think I very well could have if I worked hard before the season and got ready, but pretty much my only pre-tryout training was getting out and throwing the ball around the night before tryouts started.

The level of talent at the school certainly played into it. I had the misfortune to attend a school which has sent five players to the majors and been named "mythical" national champion twice. There are two or three other schools in town that I probably would have started for.

So start working now!
                Last edited by Dravecky43; 10-21-2008, 11:40 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dravecky43 View Post
                  I was in that same position myself (pretty much). I played LL through 6th grade and then Babe Ruth ball in 8th and 9th grade. Tried out for the school team in 9th, 10th and 12th grades. I didn't make the team any year. I still think I very well could have if I worked hard before the season and got ready, but pretty much my only pre-tryout training was getting out and throwing the ball around the night before tryouts started.

The level of talent at the school certainly played into it. I had the misfortune to attend a school which has sent five players to the majors and been named "mythical" national champion twice. There are two or three other school in town that I probably would have started for.

So start working now!
                  Our high school has won it's conference once the last twenty years. They've sent one player to the pros. You still wouldn't have a chance. The kids making the team are playing travel in the summer and fall and train indoors in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyEye View Post
                    Thread says it all.

Thanks guys.
                    Definitely go for it. To get in shape, either join a gym or run on your own with a mix of some pushups or situps to get some muscle back.

Throw as much as you can with one of your friends. This is very important.

I would suggest going to a local hitting coach for some lessons if you are a position player.

PM if u got any questions I'd be very happy to answer.
                    "He is the greatest natural hitter I ever saw." -Ty Cobb

"I copied Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter." -Babe Ruth

"Everything he hit was really blessed. He could break bones with his shots. Blindfold me and I could still tell you when Joe hit the ball. It had a special crack." -Ernie Shore

Comment

play for a city team that doesnt cut people...

Comment

Never give up

You don't have to be varsity to enjoy the game and play. You will still have the muscle memory from playing at a younger age. Spend time at the batting cages batting and catching. Find someone that will bat fly balls and grounders to you, and help you practice throwing. Barring that, mark a single spot on a hard concrete wall (there's got to be one somewhere)and practice hitting that spot from every angle and distance, and fielding the balls that come off of it. Ask around, ask adults, anyone if there is anyone that wants to help you practice, knows an affordable clinic, etc. Come spring, you may surprise yourself.

WYK

Comment

Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
                          Can you pitch? You can circumvent the need for athleticism and being able to hit if you can. Otherwise, I see it as a real longshot. At your age, you can get into shape rather quickly. However, hitting can be something that you have an aptitude for or you don't.
                          Agreed, it's a longshot, but as noted, pitching can help, especially if you develop a trick pitch.

I'd train like crazy, become a team manager, and work on the knuckleball ont he side. There's a great site I found recently at www.knuckleballhq.com where you can post about how to throw and learn from a lot guys who do throw it, too.

At 5'7", you're pretty small for a pitcher, but it's worth a shot. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
                          If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Comment

Go for it! I didn't think I could make my school's varsity this year and I'm only a sophmore. Just work hard and take the advice these guys give you, hopefully it will pay off!
                            Where Players Become Legends
                            1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 49
                            26 World Championships
                            1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950
                            1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000

Trusted Traders: Rockhound, Mike D., ttmman21, Dalkowski110, Extra Innings

Comment

Go out for the team... Try your best and HUSTLE at all times... run everywhere. If you make the team awesome... you probably won;t play much but you will be able to practice with the team a lot. If you don't make the team you will be that much better off when you try to play NABA or MSBL.

Good Luck and HUSTLE!
                              33/30 Demarini Vexxum
                              33/30 Miken Freak
                              33/30 Rawlings Rush Lite Comp
                              33/30 Rip-it Raider

Rawlings Pro-1000B
                              Rawlings Pro-7BC

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X