Summer League News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer League News

Biola University junior pitcher, Justin Rodriguez pitched 1 hit less inning in relief yesterday. Biola lost the game to Simpson University 2-1. Rodriguez pitched for the Waimea Waves of the Hawaii Collegiate League last summer. He went 3-3, and sported a 3.46 era in 39 innings of work. He gave up 32 hits, walked 16, and fanned 19 batters.
    Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.

Former Dubois County Bomber and current Carson-Newman pitcher, Justin Higdon threw a gem in the 2nd game of the Eagles sweep of Augusta State. Higdon allowed just a first-innings single enroute to a 7-inning shutout. He walked 3 and struck out 7 as well. While pitching for the Bombers last summer, Justin went 1-4, and sported a respectable 3.98 era in 40.2 innings pitched.

Justin wasn't the only Eagle to have a big weekend. Derek Long went a combined 3 for 8 this yesterday. He scored once and drove in 4 runners. Wesley Dozier went 2 for 5 with 1 rbi in game 1, and Mike Elliot gave up 1 unearned run on 2 hits in 3 innings of relief work in game 1. Long, Dozier and their team Wes McIntyre will all be playing for the Lake Norman Copperheads of the Southern Collegiate Baseball League this upcoming summer. Elliot pitched for Front Royal of the Valley League last summer. He had a 5.13 era in 7 innings of work. This summer, he has signed on to pitch for the Spartanburg Blue Eagles of the SCBL.

Comment

The number 1 ranked Mount Olive Trojans defeated the Armstrong Atlantic Pirates 6-2 in the first game of a DH yesterday. In game 2, the Pirates charged quickly out of the gate enroute to a 8-1 win.

Josh Wilson (AA) went a combined 2 for 9, with a double, stolen base and rbi. He spent time with the Alexandria Aces last summer. Cody Walden (AA) had a nice game 1 for the Pirates. He gave up 2 runs on 6 hits in 7 innings pitched. He picked up a no-decision. Cody was Josh Wilson's teammate in Alexandria this past summer. He went 3-1, with a 1.51 era in 35.2 innings of work. He held opponents to a .185 batting average as well. Read the rest of this entry here>>

Comment

Throughout the regular college baseball season, I will be posting the stats of players who have either played summer ball or have been signed to play. As always, if you feel that I've omitted someone, don't hesitate to contact me.

Wes McIntyre (pictured left) had an outstanding outing for Carson-Newman. He picked up his first win of the season by throwing 7 quality innings. He allowed just 1 run on 3 hits, while walking 2 and fanning 2 batters. Wes will be playing for the Spartanburg Blue Eagles of the SCBL this summer.

Rich Racobaldo went 1 for 2 with a double and 2 runs scored for Mount Olive. Rich played for the Forest City Owls last summer. Read the rest of this entry here>>

Comment

Martinsville Mustangs News

A former Mustang and a future Mustang turned in outstanding pitching performances on Feburary 1st. Mike Piazza (pictured left and photo is courtesy of Richard Flutie) and Jonathan Cornelius currently pitch for Florida Tech University. Piazza played for the Mustangs last summer, and had a great season. He went 5-2, with a 2.93 era in 58.1 innings pitched. In the first game of a double header with Eckerd College, Piazza picked up a no-decision by allowing just 1 run on 6 hits in 7 innings of work. He only walked 1 batter and struck out 10 batters. Read the rest of this entry here>>

Comment

There were several more impressive stat lines to take notice of. Several of these stats are a couple days old, but better late than never.

Jesse Moore went a combined 5 for 7 in a double header for Rollins University. He had a double and scored 4 runs. Moore played for Winter Park this past summer. His teammate, Charlie Bailes went 2 for 2 in the 2nd game of the DH. He also hit a double and drove in 1. Charlie played for the Clermont Mavericks last summer. He hit .287 in 87 at-bats for them. Read the rest of this entry here>>>

Comment

Rams Ride Elkind's Arm To Game 1 Victory

The Angelo State University Rams were counting on Kenny Elkind to deliver in the first game of the a DH with Fort Hays State. Kenny delivered in a big way. The senior pitcher from Folsom, PA pitched a 7-inning complete game to earn a 1-0 victory for the Rams. He scattered 3 hits, walked 3 and he struck out 4 batters. Kenny was a member of the Edenton Steams last summer. He went 3-0, and sported a 3.27 era in 33 innings pitched. He walked just 12 batters and fanned 41 on the year.

Comment

Summer Ball Related Stat Lines For Feb. 9

Florida Tech senior catcher, Kevin Villa had an outstanding first game of a DH split with Valdosta State. He went 4 for 5, with 3 doubles, 2 runs scored and 3 rbi's. Kevin spent the summer of 08 with the Woodstock RiverBandits. Randall Thompson (Florida Tech) gave up 1 run on 1 hit in 2 innings pitched in the first game. He walked 3 and struck out 5 as well. Thompson went 3-0, with a 0.00 era in 17 innings pitched for Clermont last summer. Sam Palace (Florida Tech) went a combined 3 for 8 with a double and run scored. The senior from Clarkston, MI played for the Thomasville HiToms last summer. Mike Piazza (Florida Tech) was roughed up a bit in the first game of the DH. He earned a no-decision, but gave up 2 earned runs on 9 hits in 6.1 innings pitched. He walked 2 and fanned 2 batters as well. Mike will be playing for the Martinsville Mustangs this summer. Robbie Kuzdale (Valdosta State) went 1 for 2 with a triple and rbi in the first game of the DH. He will be playing for Xenia of the Great Lakes League this summer. Read the rest of this entry here>>>

Comment

Dan Kaczrowski and the rest of the Hamline University baseball team started their 09 season off in an impressive way. In the first game of a DH with North Central (MN) Hamline defeated N. Central 17-1 and in the 2nd game of the DH they downed N. Central 16-0. You can read the game recaps here.

Dan Kaczrowski (Hamline) is a senior ss from St. Anthony, MN. Even though he probably is a little-known prospect, he was just about the best hitter in the CICL last summer. While playing for Danville, he hit .389/.512/.452 in 203 at-bats. He scored 41 runs, drove in 35 and hit 2 homers for the Dans. He walked 17 times and was fanned just 8 times. He also stole 21 bases for the Dans last summer.

Comment

Despite Loss, Bralver Has Big Game

The Emory baseball team fell in defeat to Birmingham Southern today. There was at least one bright spot for Emory though. Senior outfielder, Steve Bralver went 3 for 5 with 2 doubles and 3 rbi's. He also scored 1 run today. Steve is a 6-2/195 pound native of Honolulu, HI. He played for the Hawaii Aliis of the Hawaii Collegiate Baseball League this past summer. He hit an astounding .396 in 111 at-bats. He scored 23 runs, drove in 31 and his extra-base hits were 12 db's-2 tr's-3 hr's respectively. He had an excellent bb/k ratio of 14/18 and he also stole 5 bases. All this lead to Steve being one of the top prospects and best players in the league last summer.

Comment

Three Future Summer Stars Are Off To Hot Starts

I am proud to be the #1 college baseball blog on the net. I also pride myself in the fact that I cover more than just D1 baseball, and that I do more than just copy and paste press releases. In an effort to keep you updated, here are 3 future summer league stars, and how they are playing so for this season.

Alex Fambrough (pictured left) is a 6-5/220 pound sophomore from Tyler, TX. The Tyler JC pitcher has a 0.00 era in 4 innings of work. He has saved 3 games and allowed just 1 hit. He has also struck out 4 batters this season. Alex will be playing for the Alaska Athletes in Action team this summer.

Wes Kartch is a junior 3b from Point Loma Nazarene University. In 36 at-bats this season, he is hitting .306/.500/.405. He has cracked 2 homers and has driven in a team-high 11 rbi's. He has also just struck out 1 time this season. Wes will also be heading up to Alaska to play with the AIA team.

Tim Dunn is a sophomore pitcher for Trevecca Nazerene University. He has mad 1 start this season. He is 1-0, and didn't allow a hit in his 5 innings of work. He also fanned 7 batters in the start. Tim will be playing for the Fulton Railroaders this summer.

Comment

The Lynchburg College Hornets pounded the University of Maine at Presque Isle by the score of 22-2 yesterday afternoon. The Hornets scored 15 runs in the first 4 innings of the non-conference home opener. Cameron Grant (Martinsville Mustangs-09) went 1 for 1, with a double, 3 runs scored and 2 walks. Jeff Taylor (Martinsville Mustangs-09) went 1 for 3, with a walk and a run scored.

Comment

Three current Oklahoma Baptist University players will play for the Santa Maria Valley Packers this summer. All three have seen playing time this summer. Justin Trejo (pictured left) is batting .346 in 26 at-bats. He has hit 1 double and has driven in 2 rbi's this season. Arin Fowble is batting .273 in 22 at-bats. He has scored 4 runs, knocked in 2 and has walked 4 times this season. Brandon Davis is hitting .250 in 12 at-bats this year. He has hit 1 double and has scored 2 runs this season.

Comment

By all accounts yesterday, Shaeffer Hall was in total control yesterday. He kept the Air Force Academy hitters off balance all game. He was in total command of all his pitches. He walked the first batter he saw, but he then proceeded to retire the next 17 batters. This was the Jayhawks first complete game no-hitter since 1980. Shaeffer pitched for the Falmouth Commodores last summer. He went 1-1 and sported a 2.41 era in 18.2 innings pitched.

Comment

Mississippi State improved to 2-0 on the year behind a strong outing by Nick Routt (pictured left). The lefty from Silver Spring, MD allowed 1 run on 7 hits in 8 innings of work. He walked just 1 batter and struck out 4 today. Nick played for the Rockville Express last summer. T.J. Thompson (North Florida) went 1 for 4 in a losing effort today. He will be playing for the Lowell All-Americans this summer.

Kean University started their 09 season off on the right foot by defeating Stevens Institute of Technology 4-3 this afternoon. Brandon Aich (Kean) earned the save today. He struck out 1 in his 1 inning of work. He played for Holyoke last summer, and went 1-1, with a 2.88 era in 25 innings of work.

Belmont University scored 4 runs in the 8th inning to upend Illinois State this afternoon. Nate Woods (Belmont) went 2 for 4, with 3 rbi's and a double. He played for the Thunder Bay Bordercats this past summer. Jimmy Stanley (Belmont) earned his 2nd save of the season by throwing a scoreless inning in relief. Jimmy also played in Thunder Bay this past summer. He was simply dominant there. He went 4-1 and had a 0.49 era in 37 innings of work. He also saved 15 games for Thunder Bay.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X