Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darbypitcher22
    replied
    Its just being confident and letting the game come to you. Trust your skills and your technique, and things will begin to happen. Worry about what you can control, and that only, and let everything else take care of itself

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    And guys, by the way, I'm in 9th grade now. :o

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    Originally posted by scorekeeper View Post
    Where do you live that 8th graders can make the JV team?
    It was a summer league, so i was a rising 9th grader.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Whoops! Didn't realize how old the thread was. Oh well, I'll keep my post as is because it's always a handy reference.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    For the summer I made the JV baseball team despite being in 8th grade. It has been a dream come true for me, and I have had a blast while playing. The bad thing is; I have not performed any where close to my potential. In fact in four games I have not one hit and 4 strikeouts. Usually with my travel teams I'm the #2 hitter and get most of my teams hits and strike out once every 10 or so games. When I approach the plate I am very nervous and tense. I've been told to take deep breath and squeeze all of the tension out but it still doesn't seem to work. The pitching isn't much harder than the travel league and I have no problem getting around on it but I always seem to find myself swinging at horrible pitches and making bad contact, in fact I haven't hit anything out of the infield in those four games. Usually when I get out, I line out to the outfield or get robbed. But now getting way under the ball, hitting it off the end of the bat or striking out. Please give me tips on calming my nerves and/or having a better approach.

Thanks,
    Francoeurstein
    A year ago I was hit in the head with a baseball...for the second time. It really shook me up and made me fearful of the ball. Thus, I too was intimidated at the plate and fielding. I found the best way to get on track was forgetting everything but the ball. Don't worry about how you'll do, how you've been doing, what you're eating for dinner tomorrow, or the war in Iraq. Nothing. Follow the ball with your eyes, not your thoughts. When you step to the plate feeling anxious because you're 0-3 with 2 errors and the bases are loaded, focus on driving in a run and forget your whole bad game. If it helps, pretend you've been the MVP so far and you know you're going to do it again.

And don't forget, you're an 8th grader. I'm assuming you're playing with sophomores and juniors. They're cutting you slack for making it this far at a younger age. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• scorekeeper
    replied
    Where do you live that 8th graders can make the JV team?

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    This is indeed an old thread. Well boys, I made the Varsity team this spring and I am doing great! (just look at my signature)

Thanks for the good advice guys, I ended up doing better in that Summer League anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Dustin07
    replied
    this is an olllld thread but here's what I do..

sitting at 3b if my nerves start to get the best of me, I just remind myself why I'm here... because I love it, and to CHALLENGE the opponent to be better than me. Some may get past me, but I will prepare myself and welcome every hard hit grounder, line drive, pop up, bunt, etc because I am a black hole where hard hit balls are lost! (maybe it's not true, but it kills the nervousness!).

Leave a comment:

• closer28
    replied
    Be happy Have fun.

Willie Stargell said this "When they start the game, they don't yell, "Work ball." They say, "Play ball." You gotta have fun
    Look at some great ball players like derek jeter for instance he is always having a great time while he plays because baseball to him is not just a job its his passion and he loves to do it its fun for him.

A couple of years ago i was in the same spot you are in 8th grade playing for a high school team. And i found myself trying to hard to hit the ball and impress the coaches. while that is important its also important to have fun.
    after i learned this i started being able to hit now i'm on varsity batting leadoff with a .765 batting average with 3 homers baseballfreak120 I know this may seem stupid, but try to laugh

So dont stress it take it one pitch at a time. you can't control the past you can control the present.

good luck dude!!!!!!
    Last edited by closer28; 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jammer
    replied
    Nothing to worry about.....

You don't have anything to worry about. It would be different if you were getting paid but you are in 8th grade. You are out there because you want to be. It sounds like you are trying to do too much. Baseball is a game of failure. In no other sport can a good player fail 6 out of 10 times and still be considered good. You are going to get out.....a lot. That is baseball. Just play like its summer ball with no pressure because in reality there is none. You put what pressure there is on yourself.

Maybe some chilled out or happy music before the game would help?

Leave a comment:

• ChineseDemocracy
    replied
    Eat a banana before the game. The potassium in bananas is great for calming you down.

Leave a comment:

• baseballfreak120
    replied
    I know this may seem stupid, but try to laugh. I satre down the pitcher and it makes me laugh evey time. For my old travel team, My coach would probabbly kiled me anytime ther were no witnesses. I got nervous and was only itting .164,with no homers. At the end of the season, I took my strayegy and produced THat next summer I batted .788 with 5 jacks. I used the tecnique here and it worked. THe same goes for my 18u legion team. I am nervous because of the size of my competitors, I am 15, Now I am batting .667 with 1 homerun in 2 games. TRy laughing at the pitcher, it works

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    started a topic How do I help calm down my nerves?

How do I help calm down my nerves?

For the summer I made the JV baseball team despite being in 8th grade. It has been a dream come true for me, and I have had a blast while playing. The bad thing is; I have not performed any where close to my potential. In fact in four games I have not one hit and 4 strikeouts. Usually with my travel teams I'm the #2 hitter and get most of my teams hits and strike out once every 10 or so games. When I approach the plate I am very nervous and tense. I've been told to take deep breath and squeeze all of the tension out but it still doesn't seem to work. The pitching isn't much harder than the travel league and I have no problem getting around on it but I always seem to find myself swinging at horrible pitches and making bad contact, in fact I haven't hit anything out of the infield in those four games. Usually when I get out, I line out to the outfield or get robbed. But now getting way under the ball, hitting it off the end of the bat or striking out. Please give me tips on calming my nerves and/or having a better approach.

Thanks,
    Francoeurstein

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X