Question about a college player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a college player

I am not sure if this is really the most appropriate forum for this but I did not see an amatuers forum. There is a player for Georgia Tech that serves as catcher and pitcher (not at the same time obviously). Here are his stats from last year and this year (he is a sophmore so he has one more year in college ball):

Code:
    Year	G	GS	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	Avg	OBP	SLG	BB	SO	SB	CS	Fld%
    2005	60	59	227	53	83	17	1	10	68	132	0.366		0.581	45	32	1	0	0.994
    2006	48	48	182	46	60	13	0	7	47	94	0.33	0.457	0.516	38	32	1	0	0.995

Year	G	GS	W	L	SV	CG	SH	ERA	IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	BAA			
    2005	26	0	3	3	6	0	0	2.85	41	40	17	13	10	32	0.255			
    2006	13	0	1	1	5	0	0	2.25	24	19	6	6	6	25	0.221
    It is quite impressive to see this guy catch a whole game and then warm up in the pen while the team bats and then come in and pitch the last two innings of the game. I have a few questions for you guys. First, do you think he should pick either pitching or catching and stick to it or should he keep doing both as long as he can? Second, and this may be early to ask, but do you think he will have more value to a professional team as a catcher or a pitcher?

Coach Hall at GT has made several comments that this kid catches as good a game as he has seen, that he seems to have a clear understanding of the game and how to handle the pitchers.
    Last edited by jpenrod; 05-11-2006, 03:01 PM.
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Lacking a better place, I'm moving this to the Minor League forum, since the thread's subject matter is closer than to MLB.

Feel free to post a request under "Web Improvements" for an amateur baseball forum. Junior varsity, varsity and college ball seem great things to discuss here.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

if he is drafted it will be at one position or the other - they are the two most exhausting positions - no parent club will keep him at both

it is best that experienced baseball men be consulted as to which position he should choose

Comment

Is the player you are talking about Matt Wieters?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSoxSteve
          Is the player you are talking about Matt Wieters?
          Yes it is. you either follow college baseball or you did some reasearch. good job
          I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
            if he is drafted it will be at one position or the other - they are the two most exhausting positions - no parent club will keep him at both

it is best that experienced baseball men be consulted as to which position he should choose
            Yes, I know that if drafted (at this point I would be surprised if he weren't unless an injury were involved) he would then have to choose one position or the other. I am curious what you guys think about whether he should choose one position right now to focus on or keep playing both until he is forced to make that decision.

This also brings up an interesting question, suppose he decided he is more interested in catching than pitching and he does get drafted as a pitcher. In baseball he has the option to turn down the draft and return to school, do you think he would return to school and spend his senior year exclusively as a catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
              Yes it is. you either follow college baseball or you did some reasearch. good job
              I follow college baseball, and I remember watching him in the NCAA tourney last year. I think he is a sophomore, so he is not eligible to be drafted until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSoxSteve
                I follow college baseball, and I remember watching him in the NCAA tourney last year. I think he is a sophomore, so he is not eligible to be drafted until next year.
                You are correct, that is what I said in my original post. He is a sophomore and he has one more season of college ball before he can enter the draft.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X