No announcement yet.

ex-MLB players coaching at the NCAA level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do wonder why more schools don't hire former pros as head coaches. Do you think it's because they're hard to nab? I mean Craig Biggio coaches for a small private high school in Houston. I wonder how he'd do at the University of Houston instead. Not to say that I don't think Whitting is a great coach, but if he wasn't there...
    sigpic
    National League Champions: 2005
    National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
    National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by RootHouston View Post
      I do wonder why more schools don't hire former pros as head coaches. Do you think it's because they're hard to nab? I mean Craig Biggio coaches for a small private high school in Houston. I wonder how he'd do at the University of Houston instead. Not to say that I don't think Whitting is a great coach, but if he wasn't there...
      College coaches have to be able to recruit and sell. Its a lot of work. Just because a guy played in the majors doesn't mean he'll be good at it. Just because a guy played in the majors doesn't mean he's good at teaching and coaching baseball.

Comment

Could it be that just because a player was a pro, it doesn’t mean he can manage or teach?
        The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

Originally posted by scorekeeper View Post
          Could it be that just because a player was a pro, it doesn’t mean he can manage or teach?
          You're right about that, but regardless, in other sports it is far more common for former pros to be coaches.
          sigpic
          National League Champions: 2005
          National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
          National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

You're right about that, but regardless, in other sports it is far more common for former pros to be coaches.
            My observation was intended to point out that experience on its own was only part of the equation. Also, in baseball, “pro” means something a little different than it does in other sports. Not many sports have a full blown system in place that feeds the top level, where so many players are paid to play.
            The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

Jeff Kent is a volunteer assistant at Southwestern University.
              The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

One potential problem:

Many D1 schools, as part of the minimum requirements for the job, require that the members of the coaching staff hold at minimum a bachelor's degree.

Most pro players were drafted out of high school, or during their undergrad years in college. You don't see many fifth year seniors going pro, and you don't see many athletes completing their degrees inside of three years, either.

I've known of a couple of cases where pro athletes were interested in getting into coaching, but had to go back to school to complete their degrees first - some 15 years after last setting foot in a classroom.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X