Your 2014 amateur baseball season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2014 amateur baseball season

This is a thread for all Amateur Baseball Players. if you Play yourself whether it is college or a beer league you can post your experiences and results here.

I had my first game 2 weeks ago (last week I could not attend). it was a friendly match against a Team of the highest german league and we lost badly (only half of their Players were from their "Major league"). I played first base and went 3 for 5.

this Weekend I will have two more friendly matches and then soon our season starts.

how did your season start?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

I had my first league game today (missed the first one of our team). we played against bad homburg II and split a double header.

First game we narrowly lost and I only got to pinch hit (walked). second game we won by 10 run rule. I hit a 3 run triple in the first inning and a lead of single in the third. in my last AB I popped out to first, overall a great day.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

We had our third league game today playing a double header.

first game we faced a 16 yo kid who plays in the junior national team for our country. he throws about low to mid 80s and controlled us quite well. but later we got to him and actually managed to win the game on a walk of home run after two extra innings. that was a great game. I went 2 for 4 with 2 doubles and two walks.

the second game we lost because we ran out of pitching. I went 1 for 3.

Comment

Good stuff, dominik! I love hearing about German baseball! When I was an exchange student back in 1993 (St├Ądisches Gymnasium W├╝lfrath), all my friends played soccer and handball, and some of them were into basketball. Only one of them had a baseball and glove, but no bat. Same when I was stationed in Deutschland back in the later 1990s. The locals around my post (in the small Bavarian town of Illesheim) played American football and soccer, but no baseball. I had no idea anyone over there was playing it at all.

Anyway, my team has played about a third of our long season (February to July). We started out without a win, but have climbed back to a 4-3-2 record and second place. We play the first place team today in a couple hours down in Georgetown. I personally haven't played in 3 weeks. In my last game, I went 3 for 3 with a double, RBI, and R (even had a 2 hit inning in a game where we all went crazy on offense). Then the next week, I wasn't even listed on the lineup card as a reserve. Whatever. I am also the team's GM and assistant coach, so I work hard to get the others in the game too.

I have 2 bunt singles, and the first was in our first game when I put one right down the 3B line with two out (I am a lefty with lots of speed). Therefore, I was held out of the lineup "just in case" we needed a good bunter late in the game. We didn't, but I got the others in there and what was a very close game turned into another great offensive display by our guys in the final inning. The next week was a holiday, and our game was pushed to the following Wednesday, but the other team had to forfeit due to lack of players. Last weekend, I had a historical society even (biggest of the year every year) down in Austin, so I couldn't go to the game.
        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

we lost a close game in extra innings yesterday against the league leading team. they are quite good with almost all latin players (cuban, domenican...).

I got nothing to hit going 0 for 0 with 3 walks in 3 PAs.

Comment

We finally had our next doubleheader of the season after it had to be postphooned twice due to the weather.

the first game we traded the lead several times but lost in extra innings. I went 2-4 with a solo HR. the second game unfortunately lost by walkoff too. we took the lead but our pitching was done and the replacement pitcher got hit hard. I went 2-4 with a HR again (and a walk), this time it was a Grand slam to tie the game but it was not enough to win it.

for me it was a great day with my first 2 HRs of the season but it would have been better had we won.

Comment

That is awesome, dom! Great job! I just broke out of a slump, 0-8 with 4 K and a HBP. It was terrible. I hadn't struck out all season, we were halfway through when this point hit, then got rung up in 3 out of 4 PAs, and ran up to 6 Ks in 4 games. I came through with an RBI single to left to stop the slide at 0-10 with 5 of those 6 Ks at that point. The next week's game I went 1-4, scorched another single to left in my final AB. The only saving grace I have had is my glove, which was always my #1 asset at 2B.

Last week I made two plays, one to each side, where I had to stretch out to snag a hard grounder and throw the guy out at first. Then in the top of the 8th inning, bases loaded, tie game (5-5) and nobody out, the MGR called the infield up to the grass. The left-handed batter slapped a hard bouncer to my left which I gloved, tagged the runner going to second and nailed him at first for a double play. A run scored, but I just reacted in that split second to get two outs because they were right there, bang-bang. The next guy grounded out to short, and we ended up getting the run back. It felt great to nail that play, as I love the defensive side more than hitting.

Yesterday, I had one AB. I hit the ball well into the gap, R-CF, and it was sailing to the wall. I thought I had an easy triple, if not an inside-the-park job (even at 38 I still have very, very good speed, must have been all that running in the Army), then their CFer, a buddy of mine on my team during the last long season, running away from the infield reached up and snagged it. Just one of those things. It was my hardest hit ball, farthest hit ball, best hit ball in a long time probably - but it was an out. Kinda funny when I think of the 5 or so infield hits I have, including two slide-bunt singles. I should stick to the Baltimore Chop-style hitting I guess!

I did make a play on a soft fly ball in the fifth inning to help preserve our lefty's no-hitter. He had struck out 9 in a row at that point, but we all knew about the no-no. I could hear the LFer and CFer asking/talking about it. Unfortunately, the leadoff man in the final inning singled up the middle. I made two more plays on force outs at second, but nothing spectacular.

Comment

atta Boy

sounds pretty good, I love to see good defensive Plays. I'm improving at picking balls in the dirt but still have some way to go.

my Coach almost pulled me in the first inning because I first missed a hit and run sign, then not hustled down the line on a weak grounder (still reached on an error) and then got picked off at second.

that was a really terrible start but then it got much better.

Comment

played a double header today. first game we fell behind like 6-0 in the first inning due to a few errors but we came back with a couple HRs and won the game in the end by a wide score. they had some good young pitchers throwing low 80s but they had some control problems and we hit them well. I went 2 for 3 with a walk and a double.

the second game we won 12-5 with our pitcher (who is 15 and plays for the german junior national team) pitching really well. I did not hit well going 0-4 with a sac fly and a run scored on a ROE. the best thing of the game was our LFer doing a game ending diving catch on a high line drive.

Comment

we had our second DH against bad homburg yesterday. they did not have their bundesliga players this time (exept one who was coming back for injury) so we were quite optimistic. the first game we jumped ahead early loading the bases and scoring 2 runs (one by a sac fly from me) because their pitcher was struggling with control. they came back because they all were extremely patient at the plate taking some walks but then our better hitting came into play and we won by 10 run rule 20-10 in the sixt inning. I went 1 for 2 with a sac and 2 walks.

the second game was closer. It started to rain and the went ahead 5-1 early. we managed to come back and took the lead again but then they tied it and the game had to be interrupted due to rain. after the game got re started we were able to take the lead again and win the game. I went 3 for 5 with a double and a strikeout.

we are now 8-6 for the season hopefully we can get 2 more wins this weekend.

Comment

I'll play....

So far this year I'm not hitting particularly well (.246). I landed on my armpit diving for a ball in CF and my shoulder hasn't been the same. I feel like I'm not able to get extended. I'm also fighting upper back pain related to the same incident. Because of the injury, I've not been able to hit off a tee or take BP in over a month.

My pitching, however, has been much better. My overall ERA is 2.80 and my last two starts, covering 14.2 IP, I've allowed 0 ER. I also picked up a 4-out save last week though I allowed an ER. I start again this Wednesday against a team that is very aggressive at the plate and on the bases. They rarely take walks but lead the league in SB. I throw 5 pitches (FB, CB, SL, CU, SP) so I should be able to keep them off balance and mitigate their aggressiveness if I can locate all my pitches.

Comment

I had a really nice season this year batting .423/.544/.712

we finished second in the league but due to several guys leaving we won't field a Team next year. now I have to make a decision where I Play next season. I could Play at a Team in the same league like this year. the Advantage would be the field is only 15 minutes of drive away (2 times a week Training after work) and I will probably have a lot of playing time and mash the ball again.

or I go to another Team a league higher. that league is the third best league in our Country and a Wood bat league. I already played in that league already in 2013 and I know I can bat there too (batted .300 then) but I had a limited role because my defense at first is a Little fringy. improved both my glove and my bat so I will probably get more playing time but I don't know how much. also it is 45 minutes of driving through heavy traffic after work (30 minutes if the Highway is open but at this time it isn't).

not sure how I will decide.

Comment

Big D, you can always come to Austin and play on my team. We need a big bat in the heart of the order! Or, I guess if you guys really want a 39 year-old, left-handed hitting, slick fielding speedster (2B/OF/C) I could always go back to beautiful Deutschland! But you don't want that, believe me. . .

Comment

if you can pitch you always get a spot. but seriously, if you are a good fielder in the middle IF you are always valuable regardless of the bat. I have improved my first base defense a lot and I can now pick balls in the dirt pretty well but my value still is mostly with my bat.

I lost 15 pounds though and plan to lose another 15 though (I gained 7 or 8 pounds after the summer- I was usually like a little over 220 but got up to over 230 and want to go down to 200 from currently 215) but was always a little too heavy) so I'm hopefully in batter shape next year defensively and on the bases (hope that I don't lose my power)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X