Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many MLB players have made it from Amateur level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many MLB players have made it from Amateur level?

By Amateur level I mean making it to the pros from playing on friendly but competitive leagues above 13. For example, has a baseball player played an adult low level league then decided to pursue the dream and get a lot better quick enough to succeed a tryout in the bigs?

Usually big league players get scouted at such a young age but what about those who never got scouted but actually surged all the way up? I'm not talking about Jose Abreu or Tanaka or even Puig, who used to play a pro league elsewhere.

From beer leagues? Probably none. There are very few undrafted players from Indy leagues who made it but those are very competitive leagues. Almost all mlb players have played and dominated hs ball and those who didn't (Dee Gordon played basketball) played other sports at a high level.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      From beer leagues? Probably none. There are very few undrafted players from Indy leagues who made it but those are very competitive leagues. Almost all mlb players have played and dominated hs ball and those who didn't (Dee Gordon played basketball) played other sports at a high level.
      Just wait dominik, you and I will get there! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
        Just wait dominik, you and I will get there! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
        Maybe our kids can. Since I don't have a wife yet I should probably scout a tall one with a good arm instead of taking one of those little cute ones.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          Maybe our kids can. Since I don't have a wife yet I should probably scout a tall one with a good arm instead of taking one of those little cute ones.
          Make sure she has wheels, too, then maybe your power stroke could be added to her speed and you can have a baby Mantle!
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Jim Morris maybe
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morris
            the movie "the Rookie" was about him
            sigpic

Comment

Jim Morris wasn't discovered in a beer league. He was the 4th pick in the 1983 MLB draft. He then had several arm injuries and was released by his third team in 1989. In 2000 he attended a Tampa Bay MLB tryout camp.

Comment

Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
                Jim Morris wasn't discovered in a beer league. He was the 4th pick in the 1983 MLB draft. He then had several arm injuries and was released by his third team in 1989. In 2000 he attended a Tampa Bay MLB tryout camp.
                I played slow pitch softball in Dallas with guys who had played with ML backup outfielder Rick Parker, I believe in Lubbock, before he went pro...and on a slow pitch team, not baseball. I think the story was that he had gone to school in MO with the intent of playing baseball and had some issues, then quit and took a job in TX with company that had a SP team. Somebody in TX liked him and helped him make contacts with the UT-Austin program, and he ended up going back to school and then getting drafted with the Phils. Of course, the guys I knew started off telling me Rick had been discovered playing slow pitch, but told the truth after they had fun with their gag.
                I said that Parker must have hit the ball a mile playing slow pitch, and my teammates said that wasn't the case at all...just that he was so fast that he basically couldn't be thrown out on a grounder to the left side. He was a great defender and a dominant player, but not especially powerful. He was in the minors at that time, and I was amazed to see him play a few times for SF not long after hearing about him.
                Just like with Morris and Parker, I suspect anybody who has made the majors has a lot of experience with high level youth/HS/college ball. People talk like Bo just goofed around with baseball before going to the majors, but that's not true at all.
                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X