Highschool Baseball tryout New to baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highschool Baseball tryout New to baseball

Hello i am a junior in high school I have never played baseball in my life. I just suddenly got interested in baseball and i want to join my school team my parents are very supportive and help me out alot but i feel like i am wasting there time. Tryouts are in couple weeks i have been practicing for couple of days even if i do make the team is there any chance that i will be good unlike other players who been playing since childhood is it to late for me to play baseball? I regret not playing in middle school when i had the chance
    Last edited by Yister; 02-01-2015, 08:58 AM.

Originally posted by Yister View Post
    Hello i am a junior in high school I have never played baseball in my life. I just suddenly got interested in baseball and i want to join my school team my parents are very supportive and help me out alot but i feel like i am wasting there time. Tryouts are in couple weeks i have been practicing for couple of days even if i do make the team is there any chance that i will be good unlike other players who been playing since childhood is it to late for me to play baseball? I regret not playing in middle school when i had the chance
    Do you run like the wind?
    Throw the ball ten miles?
    To be honest, I think that you'll need some overwhelming athletic ability to even get a look without any experience.
    I don't see any reason to not go to the tryout and have some fun with it, unless it will really bother you if the experienced players laugh at you.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
      Do you run like the wind?
      Throw the ball ten miles?
      To be honest, I think that you'll need some overwhelming athletic ability to even get a look without any experience.
      I don't see any reason to not go to the tryout and have some fun with it, unless it will really bother you if the experienced players laugh at you.
      I don't have problem people laughing at me because we where all beginner once. Is there any famous mlb player who started late to?

Comment

I don't have problem people laughing at me because we where all beginner once. Is there any famous mlb player who started late to?
        I think Lorenzo cain started to Play Baseball in HS in his sophomore year but he is an elite athlete and was a very good Basketball Player. if you are a really good athlete it can be done but you Need to be really outstanding.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

I think I am decent at sports but something is telling me I can be good at baseball
          I try really hard to get better.

Should I learn how to pitch and catch first or bat. I feel like I am a better batter but I am always hitting the small place where it vibrates and it hurts.
          Last edited by Yister; 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Fella, you don't start playing ball at your age, you retire.

Just teasin' you. Good Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
              Fella, you don't start playing ball at your age, you retire.

Just teasin' you. Good Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
              Haha you got me for a second. Thanks!

Comment

FWIW, I believe that Ron LeFlore played no organized baseball until he was sent to prison for armed robbery. He was lucky enough to have a fellow inmate who knew Billy Martin and was able to secure a tryout for him, and Ron ended up playing in the majors about 8 years and even making an All Star team.
                Of course, as those of us who saw him play know, LeFlore was wicked fast...I once saw him hit a sharp grounder up the middle that hit him in the head as he was sliding into second.

;^)
                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

I think I am decent at sports but something is telling me I can be good at baseball
                  I try really hard to get better.

Should I learn how to pitch and catch first or bat. I feel like I am a better batter but I am always hitting the small place where it vibrates and it hurts.
                  Unless you have an exceptional throwing arm - rare, but possible - it's better to concentrate on being a position player. It takes years to develop the skill and finesse to pitch at a competitive level; you probably won't get there in two weeks even if you do have a strong arm.

Since you're starting from a very small knowledge base, you'll have to work on everything at once. Play catch with a friend, and gradually stretch yourself out to long toss. If you can't hit your friend in the chest with a throw consistently from that distance, odds are that baseball's not for you. At a bare minimum, you should have enough arm strength to throw the ball from first base to third base.

If you've been in that school for a couple of years, it shouldn't be too hard to know who is on the team. Ask a player or two to throw with you, and to offer tips re: your swing at the batting cage.

It's difficult, but not completely unheard of, to have a decent baseball career in high school even with a late start. One of my good friends is currently coaching a high school baseball team. Three years ago, his entire starting outfield consisted of players who had never played baseball until they reached high school. However, all three were starters on the basketball team, and could simply outrun the other experienced baseball players. They lost most of their games, but there were signs of improvement along the way.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X