Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankee Stadium.....

Hey guys, this is my first post....

I myself am a die-hard Red Sox fan. I hate the Yankees in every way. But nearly as much as I hate the Yankees, I hate that Georgie Porgy Steinbrenner is tearing down Yankee Stadium. He's made alot of stupid moves in his life (like opening his mouth) but this has to top them all. Yankee Stadium is one of the best, and most historic stadiums in the Major Leagues, I think only sitting behind Wrigley and Fenway. There is no reason to tear it down. They have plenty of seating, and it's in fine shape. They don't need to draw people to ball games, they put a good enough team out every year to get people in the stands. It's just a terrible idea.

As a Red Sox fan it would kill me to see them take it down. Most of my best memories of watching my Sox actually happened at the House that Ruth Built! From the epic pitchers duel in 99' between Pedro and Clemens, to us finally breaking through last year. Don't tear it down.
    "Baseball is not a life or death issue. But the Red Sox are."--Unknown Author

Could not agree more

Comment

I and everyone I have talked to about this feel the same way. I live in Atlanta and based on the news down here, there has'nt been much uproar about it in NY. Yankees are my #2 team and I'm suprised that this is even a possibility!

I just hope I can see it before that sad day comes...
      "Baseball is something more than a game to an American boy. It is his training field for life's work. Destroy in his faith, its squareness and honesty, and you have destroyed something more. You have planted of all things, suspicion in his heart."
      -Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis

Comment

I think its the fact the place looks more like a 70's relic than a 20's classic stadium that barely anyone cares. The best-case scenario would've been like what the Red Sox have done with Fenway since 2003. Fenway looks better now than it ever looked. Yankee Stadium looks a little too far gone for that. The plastic name out in front, the alien looking ramps(?) in the entrances, the disjoined mess inbetween the field and the bleachers.

Even though pragmatic fans would dig it, I think removing the support posts and the roof totally destroyed the character of the place. It gave it that 'tweener look of Metropolitan Stadium and Memorial Stadium. Not quite classic, not quite modern....not quite worthy of preservation for most.

Comment

I agree with you calhalo.... ...I think the harm was done back in the '70's It was interesting to hear what the Pirate players thought on there recent visit there, the first since 1960. While they seemed to respect the history, they were not impressed with the facilty, at least those who I saw interviewed. Many western PA fans who also made the journey also said they were disappointed in the stadium.

I respect the history of the sport as much as anybody, and just love the lore of ballparks of yesterday, but I think the "yesterday" was stolen from Yankee stadium over 30 years ago. I am willing to bet that the new stadium will recapture more of the Glory Days of the sport than the current stadium does, I certainly hope so. It will be sad though if instead of "The House that Ruth Built", it becomes known as "The House that George Built."....
          "The big thing about (Roberto) Clemente is that he can hit any pitch. I don't mean only strikes. He can hit a ball off his ankles or off his ear." -Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal

Comment

"New" Yankee Stadium

I was born & raised in South Philly, but the family moved to So Cal when I was 15 yrs old. I saw one game in YS, game 5 of the '64 series. That day I not only became a Yankee fan, but also a YS fan. As I walked through the tunnel to our seats in the left field bleachers I saw the openess and the grass and grandstand on the right field side and was amazed at that alone, but when I was all the way through the tunnel I looked up and saw the end of the facade about a half mile above me and it almost frightened me. I was used to Connie Mack Stadium, and I recall thinking that it would easily fit in here and the roof would probably be as high as the second deck. It was my 15th birthday, and I had not yet made the rounds, and I sure had never seen a structure this huge. The vision of first seeing the facade is vivid in my mind today, and it was one of the main differences that seperated it from the other parks. It was a signifigant part of the stadium, and merely the thought of removing it only exemplifies that a complete moron is calling the shots here. It never entered my mind that it would be removed during the renovation since there was really no reason to. At the most, Yankee Stadium looks like just another ballpark today. It was striped of its dignity by someone who I truly believed was a baseball man, but has proven me wrong.
            When the news conference was aired on TV announcing plans for the new stadium, Steinbrenner raised both fists in the air and pumped them up & down as if it was a major turning point in his life. Building accross the street proves that it is not the location that triggered the move. The statement that rebuilding YS would cost too much is also BS. The place is made of steel and concrete. If a section of wall is crumbling, which I doubt is, tear out the section and replace it. Steel & concrete are not on an endangered list and is very available. On the other hand 800 million to a billion dollars doesn't seem to be too much to spend to play ball one block away. What were the high points by building a new stadium? Number one is 55 luxury boxes as opposed to 15 that are in place now. He has been talking luxury boxes for 20 years now. Men are sliding in dirt, spitting, cusing and grabbing their nuts down on the field. Why do they need luxury boxes to see that? Second on the list is wider concourses for the fans. Now we're talking. I couldn't watch a game unless I know that there is a wide aisle behind me when it's time to leave. I fly to NY every summer to see the Yankees. I was there 5 days ago for the Old Timers Game. It takes some time to get out of there, possibly since there were 55,000 other people there also. No matter how wide the concourse is the place will empty out only as fast as they get through the doors, and even then when they exit, they hang around outside the doors.
            They have preserved the grounds at Valley Forge and Gettysburg and even Little Big Horn. Yes, it's not the same, I know, but these are battlefields where a massive amount of people were killed. I'm not putting YS in the same category, but look at the history and signifigant accomplishments that America's pastime saw on that 10 acres of ground. For 80 years they built it up, the House that Ruth Built, the grandest of all ballparks, the first to be worthy of being called a stadium. Now it's not worth the maintenance to keep it standing. I have seen artists renditions of the new and old side by side. They say that they will not tear down the stadium, but will keep it and allow local teams (Little League, High School, etc.) to play there. But what I saw was a ballpark without it's walls. Everything behind the outfield fence is gone, bleachers, scoreboard, etc., and all of the grandstand seating, the entire second and third decks are gone. The only seating left is what you see at a minor league or college field. The future of the stadium was left in the wrong hands. The commissioners office should intervene on this. They shoot down trades when they feel that they are not in the best interest of baseball, so I don't see a problem with them doing so now. Keeping up with the Joneses is childish. It would be more impressive had they let every other team build new facilities and put a few bucks in preserving YS as it was built. Don't like sitting behind a pole? Don't go. There's no shortage of fans. If it isn't evident by now, I'm not one for change, especially when it comes to tearing up historical sites. Sort of like getting a Ruth jersey and cutting it into little pieces for baseball cards. The competition there will eventually have every old piece of memorabilia destroyed. Yankee Stadium will soon be nothing more than a chunk of cement in a card. In only a few years someone will give the order, and another will follow it by climbing into a crane, and a wrecking ball will slam into the side of that stadium, and I only hope I'm not around to hear about it.

Comment

OMG, I fell asleep trying to read that post. I had texts in college that were shorter than that.
              I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                OMG, I fell asleep trying to read that post. I had texts in college that were shorter than that.
                Paragraphs tend to help. I keep on telling students that, but they don't often believe me.
                http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

The bad thing about the new stadium (other than the fact that it's not the old stadium, of course) is that it won't be built with the cantilevered upper deck... currently, the upper deck sits out right on top of the lower deck (so lower deck fans don't get wet when it rains), which allows for excellent site lines for the upper deck fans... you're VERY close to the action in the upper deck.

For reference, I've attached a picture of what it looks like to be as far from the action as you can at Yankee Stadium... just a few rows from the very top.

I've also attached a picture of the park beyond LF where the new stadium is going to be built. If you look in the upper right corner of the picture, you can see the upper deck roof, that the facade used to hang from... unfortunately, it does no longer.
                  Attached Files
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Its the field

When it comes to Yankee Stdium, the fact is that the stadium was almost completely re-done in the 70's. It is not the same "House That Ruth Built." What makes the place so great is the field. That field has a hundred years of baseball history, and not just any history, the greatest players and the greatest games all on one field. I am actually all for rebuilding Yankee Stadium because the new stadium will bring back a lot of the old stadium features and, let's face it, sooner or later it has to be replaced. I do not understand why they cannot keep the field. I do not think anyone would be opposed to playing a season at Shea in order to build the new stadium so as to keep it in the same location.

When you hear players talk about their time at Yankee Stadium, its almost always about playing on the same field as so many legends(Stepping into the same batter's box, roaming the outfield, etc). That piece of land is sacred to many and I think everyone would accept a new stadium if it were kept in the same place.

P.S. Why are they putting a roof on the new stadium? Baseball is an outdoor sport, or at least it used to be.

Comment

They aren't putting a roof on it unless it's a retractable one. I didn't see any kind of roof in the plans.
                      Let's go Dodgers

Comment

the roof

The roof is retractable, but aren't rain-outs and and the occasional snow-out part of the game? They'll keep the roof on much more than they need to to keep the fans coming to the park.

PS- Does anyone know of any figures on how many games played with roof open/closed??? I don't think Arizona ever plays with the roof open.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty27
                          The roof is retractable, but aren't rain-outs and and the occasional snow-out part of the game? They'll keep the roof on much more than they need to to keep the fans coming to the park.

PS- Does anyone know of any figures on how many games played with roof open/closed??? I don't think Arizona ever plays with the roof open.
                          You're badly misinformed . The new Yankee Stadium at Burger King Plaza (or whatever they call it) does not have a roof--retractable or otherwise. One of the old plans had one, but what they're actually building will not.

You're also wrong about the stadium and the field. Actually the stadium is more original than you think, while the field is not. The upper deck, mezzanine and lower deck are original, as are the bleachers, exterior walls and most concourses.

They did add several rows to the top of the upper deck and removed the roof and copper freize. They added an internal steel cable cantilever to support the mezzanine and upper deck and removed all the supporting colums. They built a new concourse for the upper deck, a new roof, added new plastic seats, a new pressbox and a few suites, a new wall/scoreboards/fiberglass freize above the bleachers, and new ramps among other things... but it's still the original stadium.

The hallowed field of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle etc, however, was completely destroyed in 1974--excavated to a depth of 8-10 feet. A field was laid in the newly excavated area beneath the original field area.

If anything, the current stadium itself has a lot more history than does the current field.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Elvis; 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM.

Comment

absolutely correct sir!

I went there in March of 76 and a construction worker let me in and
                            they were putting up the blue facade...directly over the white paint that was the old stadium...they only parts that were new were the front portion of the lower deck and dugouts and the last 12-15 rows of the upper deck and of course the roof....

where did this retractable roof crap start anyway?? I guess with the Guiliani model of a few year ago??

I was also there 4/15/76 game one...I for one willbe glad to see it go

Comment

MY First Post

Hi fellow baseball fans. I was at Yankee stadium for the first time on 6/18/05 and was taken in by the park. My first look was from the subway train. It was the slot from right field. I got the same feeling then as I did when I had my first look at our Rochester Red Wings stadium back in '66. It was simply beauitful. Yankee stadium is old but still a great piece of history. My ONLY problem was the seats, they were made for very small short people.

IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IT IS...................

GONE and so am I . Bye now.
                              :radio BASEBALL ED:radio

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X