BC Place Stadium - Vancouver, BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JordanDL3891 View Post

Wow....talk about a virtual spitting image of the Metrodome.

Comment

Yes, it did collapse recently. The inflatable roof sprung a huge leak...

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVb4NjUOXg4

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pD4h44Xsk

Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3O0U9PBKP8
      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
        Wow....talk about a virtual spitting image of the Metrodome.
        The Metrodome, BC Place and RCA Dome in Indianapolis all have fairly similar interiors.

Comment

BUMP!!!

Here are some full-page photo spreads of BC Place in the 1983 and 1984 All-Star Game Programs advertising itself to MLB as the place to be for the next round of expansion. The Expos were still one of the best teams in baseball, the Blue Jays had just started to win and this was before the Canadian dollar went south. Expansion to Western Canada was the next logical step.

In July 1983, both the Canadian teams were in First Place at the same time, prompting Sports Illustrated to have this cover story in the 7.18.83 issue.

I remember seeing that issue in the mail like it was yesterday, but it was 24 years ago. How time flies.

1983 All-Star Game Program
          Attached Files
          Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

Up close of the BC Place Model in baseball configuration.

Open spaces beyond the LF fence (like Candlestick) and the retractable seats in RF (like many other stadiums).

Funny how what was perfectly acceptable (multi-purpose) and state of the art back then is derided now. Same applies to SkyDome in Toronto.
            Attached Files
            Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

1984 All-Star Game Program

Talks about how the Blue Jays and the Brewers drew over 106,000 for a 3-game exhibition set earlier in the year.
              Attached Files
              Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Didn't the White Sox have a AAA team play in there?

Comment

Originally posted by sflnyc View Post
                  Up close of the BC Place Model in baseball configuration.

Open spaces beyond the LF fence (like Candlestick) and the retractable seats in RF (like many other stadiums).

Funny how what was perfectly acceptable (multi-purpose) and state of the art back then is derided now. Same applies to SkyDome in Toronto.
                  Maybe an exhibition game could be played in BC Place again. First of all, the stadium switched from AstroTurf to FieldTurf, a grass-like surface. In fact, the FieldTurf came from Olympic Stadium (Stade Olympique in French) in Montreal, so maybe BC Place could still have the baseball cutouts on the field.
                  Also, I would put another video replay board across from the one that they currently have, plus a LED ring that most stadiums have now.

Second, since I noticed that the field setup was like Candlestick Park (now Monster Park) with an open area behind the left field area, I would either put extra seats in that area or put the team's bullpens behind the fence.

Third, with the right field seats being either retracted or removed in the right field area (like the Metrodome), I figured you could put a high wall in the area (AKA the baggie) or a scoreboard in the fence (like the Blue Blocker at Dolphin Stadium [preferably the hand operated one that the team used to have]).

Finally, with BC Place's baseball setup being a hybrid of the Metrodome and Candlestick (even though it is Monster Park and was 3Com Park), I would have these dimensions (prefered ones in parentheses)

Left Field: 330-335 feet (335)

Left-Center: 365-375 feet (365)

Center Field: 400-410 feet (405, although I did see 407 on the fence when I saw highlights of an exhibition game)

Right-Center: 365-375 feet (375)

Right Field: 325-330 feet (325, although Candlestick had the RF line at 335 and then to 328 to take advantage of Barry Bonds)

Fence Heights:
                  Left Field: 9-12 feet (Fence would have a screen so the pitchers in the bullpen can be seen)

Center Field: 9-20 feet (depending on how high off the ground the first row of seats are from the ground)

Right Field: 15-30 feet
                  ATLANTA BRAVES, PLEASE BRING BACK THE CHEERING NATIVE AMERICAN LOGO BACK!

Comment

If anyone has a seating chart of BC Place in its baseball configuration, let me know and please post it on here.

Comment

Comment

Many movies and TV shows have used the BC Place Stadium to do their filming. One in particular was a baseball-themed episode of MacGyver starring Richard Dean Anderson, which was filmed in British Columbia. Hank Aaron made an apprearance on that show. He was wearing a Cracker Jack Old-Timers Game National League uniform and it showed him hitting home runs.

Also, on the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana (proof that anybody can get a TV show-BURN!), sometimes they show the exterior of BC Place when Hannah has a concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybird View Post

Also, on the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana (proof that anybody can get a TV show-BURN!), sometimes they show the exterior of BC Place when Hannah has a concert.
                          Referencing "Hannah Montana" in a baseball thread? I don't know, I think you might have to turn in your man-card for the day.

(Just joking with you. I think your caveat which cites the show as proof of the poor quality of TV these days will save you for the day. )

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                            Referencing "Hannah Montana" in a baseball thread? I don't know, I think you might have to turn in your man-card for the day.

(Just joking with you. I think your caveat which cites the show as proof of the poor quality of TV these days will save you for the day. )
                            To quote the Dierks Bentley song, "What Was I Thinking?"

Comment

To get an idea of where the retractable seats are in BC Place, go to the BC Place website:

www.bcplace.com

From there, click on "Book Us", and then, click "Private Suites" and then go click on "Floor Plan", and it will show the area where the retractable seats are.

Comment

I have to say, any of these "inflatable type roofs are quite disturbing looking. Thanks god they are getting away from this awful look.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X