No announcement yet.

BC Place Stadium - Vancouver, BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weren't the Mariners planning to play a few regular season games there in the late 80s before they got good?

Is Vancouver more Mariner territory or Jays territory. I recall back in the hay day of the Jays, Seattle-Toronto home games had many Canadian fans rooting for the Jays so it seemed like a Jays home.

Comment

Despite what the media in Toronto think, the Jays are not "Canada's team". The
      M's got a huge following in Vancouver after the 95 season and that has stuck..although the last few years have been trying .While there are Blue Jay supporters,there are also a # of Red Sox and Yankee fans up here too. There
      is a rivalry between the two cities, and most of us really cant stand anything Toronto .

Comment

Originally posted by Brad MCdonald View Post
        Despite what the media in Toronto think, the Jays are not "Canada's team". The
        M's got a huge following in Vancouver after the 95 season and that has stuck..although the last few years have been trying .While there are Blue Jay supporters,there are also a # of Red Sox and Yankee fans up here too. There
        is a rivalry between the two cities, and most of us really cant stand anything Toronto .

Also true here on the east coast. Prior to the Expos, most of us here were either Yankee or Red Sox fans. The Expos captured some of those or created a National League favorite as well. The Blue Jays captured some especially after their 2 WS wins but a lot of those were bandwagon-jumpers. Now that the Expos are gone I suspect we are back to Yanks/Sox faithful for the most part. The Boo Jays are not particularly loved here despite all of their games being available on TV. Their atrocious broadcast team doesn't help them much either.

Comment

When 2 tiles fell from the Kingdome on July 19, 1994 and forced the Mariners to play the rest of that season on the road, why did MLB deem the B.C. Place an inadequate home field? They also shot down Cheney Stadium in Tacoma and pre-renovation Civic Stadium in Portland, probably because of small capacities. B.C. Place probably could have worked as a temporary venue.

Comment

I agree on the Blue Jays broadcast team on Sportsnet...Jamie Campbell is the worst PBP guy. Out here, we call them the broadcast team of "Ralph Malph and
            Potsie Webber" ( a "Happy Days" sitcom reference for those that don't know). We get force feed the Central Canada lie that..

* Toronto Maple Leafs are Canada's hockey team team (not true)
            * Toronto Raptors are Canada's basketball team (not true)
            * Totonto FC are Canada's soccer team (not true)

And then force feed a diet of "The Blue Jays are Canada's team"(which is complete and utter crap!)

To our good friends in the USA,I don"t know if there's a parallel where one city(not just a team) pushes that there teams must be worshiped coast to coast without question.Up here, it gets sickening !

Comment

Originally posted by Brad MCdonald View Post
              I agree on the Blue Jays broadcast team on Sportsnet...Jamie Campbell is the worst PBP guy. Out here, we call them the broadcast team of "Ralph Malph and
              Potsie Webber" ( a "Happy Days" sitcom reference for those that don't know). We get force feed the Central Canada lie that..

* Toronto Maple Leafs are Canada's hockey team team (not true)
              * Toronto Raptors are Canada's basketball team (not true)
              * Totonto FC are Canada's soccer team (not true)

And then force feed a diet of "The Blue Jays are Canada's team"(which is complete and utter crap!)

To our good friends in the USA,I don"t know if there's a parallel where one city(not just a team) pushes that there teams must be worshiped coast to coast without question.Up here, it gets sickening !
              Okay, so just because you're in Canada doesn't make you a fan of all things Toronto. Well, it looks like the B.C. Place will outlast both the Metrodome and RCA Dome.
              Last edited by mrakbaseball; 08-24-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
                When 2 tiles fell from the Kingdome on July 19, 1994 and forced the Mariners to play the rest of that season on the road, why did MLB deem the B.C. Place an inadequate home field? They also shot down Cheney Stadium in Tacoma and pre-renovation Civic Stadium in Portland, probably because of small capacities. B.C. Place probably could have worked as a temporary venue.
                Maybe it was the whole other country thing... who knows.. thats CFL season too, which means the Lions would have been using it then....
                Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Comment

Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
                  What does any of this have to do with the B.C. Place stadium? Weird off topic rant.
                  It started when I asked if people in Vancouver were Mariners fans or Blue Jays fans...

Comment

Originally posted by Nat Bailey View Post
                    Maybe it was the whole other country thing... who knows.. thats CFL season too, which means the Lions would have been using it then....
                    And it may also mean that the Mariners or MLB didn't want to pay the money it probably would have cost to fix up the moveable seats, get the baseball field redone (how long had it been since the last baseball game there?) as well as the many headaches involved with moving the operation not only a few hundred miles but across a national border.
                    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

I cannot believe this will be Vancouver's olympic stadium. While I'm not a huge fan of the particulars of the Bird's Nest (I hate Deconstructivism), it is without a doubt an epic design. BC Place is about as epic as the Vet, and a hideously ugly building. And, best of all, the retractable roof apparently won't be ready for the olympics.

Between BC Place and that incredibly bland London Olympic Stadium, I have to wonder how these cities keep winning bids. I'm warming up to Chicago's design simply because it has a unique look, but the others are simply atrocious.

The olympics in a metrodome clone. oye.
                      http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

not only will the retractable dome for BC place not be ready for the olympics, they arent even starting construction on the new roof until AFTER the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                          I cannot believe this will be Vancouver's olympic stadium. While I'm not a huge fan of the particulars of the Bird's Nest (I hate Deconstructivism), it is without a doubt an epic design. BC Place is about as epic as the Vet, and a hideously ugly building. And, best of all, the retractable roof apparently won't be ready for the olympics.

Between BC Place and that incredibly bland London Olympic Stadium, I have to wonder how these cities keep winning bids. I'm warming up to Chicago's design simply because it has a unique look, but the others are simply atrocious.

The olympics in a metrodome clone. oye.
                          The Winter Olympics generally don't have special stadiums built for them, and up until very recently (as recently as Nagano 1998, I think), there weren't any Olympic Stadiums for Winter Olympics. Salt Lake City just used a bland college football stadium that was mostly bleachers (although it was massively renovated for the games), and I believe Torino used Torino FC's home stadium, which isn't spectacular either.

Olympic Stadiums really aren't important for the Winter Games.

As for London's Olympic Stadium, it's a complete joke, and will undoubtedly be one of the worst Olympic Stadiums in recent memory (worse than Barcelona or Mexico City, probably). They would have been better off departing from tradition and using Wembley for the ceremonies and building a smaller track and field stadium for athletics (perhaps a 40,000 seat stadium that would then get reduced to 25,000, as opposed to the horrific 90,000 seat stadium which will be immediately reduced). Or at least let that stadium be reconfigured for soccer and given to a London Premier League club that needs a new stadium (such as West Ham United or Tottenham Hotspur, both of whom had interest in reconfiguring the Olympic Stadium for their own future use).

Comment

why do you think the London stadium is a joke? I dont see anything wrong with it...

Comment

I just saw the pic of it for baseball, that curve on the firstbase side looks so weird, but again like tampa a chance you take when playing guessing games.
                              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

B.C. Place's roof collapse

Hole in B.C. Place's roof. January 5, 2007
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X