Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National League Park (Kennard Street Baseball Grounds / Kennard Street Park)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    THAT's the one I think that had 150,000 attendance at a game once
    That single game nearly outdrew the Naps entire 1914 season.

Comment

Like in post 11?
      I don't believe that there was ever a place called Brookside Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWest
        I don't believe that there was ever a place called Brookside Stadium.
        I gotta get better sources
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
          According to Green Cathedrals the second the google map reveals the location of Kennard Park. In the lower right hand corner with 46th street on the left, Carnegie on the north, and cedar ave in the south. Or basically the purple box on the old time map.
          If that's the case, then the location of that ballpark wasn't far from the majority of Cleveland's Torso Murders.

I haven't been by that area in a while, but I think part of that land is taken up by the City Mission now. That's a pretty blighted area.

Comment

There was also a ballpark in Collinwood where the Naps played some Sunday games. This was before Collinwood was incorporated into Cleveland. I think that Newburgh was completely incorporated into Cleveland and broken up into suburbs by 1912.

Do you have a street location for Beyerle's Park?

The book claims it was in Newburgh Heights.

Leftfield (SE) Sykora Street, Third Base (NE) Independence RD (running from NW to SE) and Hugo Ave (running SW to NE), Home Plate (N) Beyerle st, First Base (NW) Hugo Brick Plant, Right Field (SW) just outside of Cleveland city limits.

Comment

Leftfield (SE) Sykora Street, Third Base (NE) Independence RD (running from NW to SE) and Hugo Ave (running SW to NE), Home Plate (N) Beyerle st, First Base (NW) Hugo Brick Plant, Right Field (SW) just outside of Cleveland city limits.
              Independence Rd runs thriugh the Slavic Village section of Cleveland into Newbugh Hts and IIRC there is a small park around there. Those other streets don't ring a bell, though.

If one of those streets is now Harvard Ave, the ballpark may have been near what is now the Alcoa plant.

Comment

That game was at Brookside Park.

According to this book the October 10, 1915 game at Brookside park was the highest attended baseball game in America at 100,000 people. Though 2 other baseball games topped it, one in Australia and one in Berlin.

The Cleveland game was a semipro national semi-final between Omaha Panhandlers and Cleveland White Auto.

Comment

According to this book the October 10, 1915 game at Brookside park was the highest attended baseball game in America at 100,000 people. Though 2 other baseball games topped it, one in Australia and one in Berlin.

The Cleveland game was a semipro national semi-final between Omaha Panhandlers and Cleveland White Auto.
                  The Elgin Restaraunt at the corner of Pearl and Memphis, near Brookside Park was decorated with a picture of that game. When I first saw it as a kid, it looked like there was about a half million people there.

Comment

That game reminds of something in Chicago. The all-time attendance record at Soldier Field in Chicago was set in the late 30's. Do you by whom? It was set by a bunch of fans that came out to see two rival catholic high school football teams player each other.

You look around the web and I believe they list a Notre Dame game as the highest, so perhaps it wasn't but from what I have heard from people at that game there was well over 100,000 people there to see a high school football game.

Comment

The Brookside Park game is kind of mind-boggling in one other respect. At that time, that area of Cleveland wasn't easily accesible form the mosre populous east side. I believe that in that period there was only one major bridge (the infamous Centrel Viaduct) connecting the east side and west side of Cleveland. Brookside Park is located in the most southern section of the west side. It now contains the Cleveland zoo, and is near where the Drew Carey Show took place (in the Old Brooklyn section of Cleveland). In 1915, many of those people who went to that game probably had quite a difficult commute to and from the game.

Comment

Newburgh was a separate entity. At one point in the 19th century, Newburgh was the largest city in Cuyahoga County.
                        If Newburgh was in Cuyahoga County, it had nothing to do with anything in Geauga Lake unless that area changed tremendously
                        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Brookside Park is located in the most southern section of the west side. It now contains the Cleveland zoo
                          I used to work right by there until my company built a new building

Comment

If Newburgh was in Cuyahoga County, it had nothing to do with anything in Geauga Lake unless that area changed tremendously
                            Newburgh's borders were roughly... the Cuyahoga river to the west, to Lee Road on the East, to Carnegie (northeast) and Shaker (northwest) to the north and roughly 480 to the south. It would have been a stretch to head east to Geauga for sure!

Comment

Every one of these roads still exists and Sykora/Independence/Hugo/Beyerle form a city block still to this day

Comment

If those are still the same streets in the same place that is one weirdly shaped field. They must of moved those roads slightly. If third base is at the corner of Hugo and Independence at home plate is on Beyerle st, it is awfully hard for Sykora to be left field and for it to still make sense.

Perhaps if Beyerle was north of Independence and not south it would make sense but I can't see how it makes sense as it is now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X