Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National League Park (Kennard Street Baseball Grounds / Kennard Street Park)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    I found a reference to Beyerle Park in which it mentions a street railway system on Wilson AVe that ran from Scovill to Beyerle Park. That was put in place in 1883.
    For what its worth, Willson Avenue is now known as East 55th St. In 1883, that was Cleveland's easternmost border.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
      Or you could just read the

      Attendance: 118000

      on the picture..
      Which wouldn't answer the question I was attempting to answer.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
        Which wouldn't answer the question I was attempting to answer.
        Well.. If everybody occupies an area of four square feet, and you have at least four lengths to the field..

        "...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

        Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

        Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"



        - Vin Scully, Announcer

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
          Or you could just read the

          Attendance: 118000

          on the picture..
          The attendance is clearly just an estimate, and I have read in the past that it may be wildly off. There is no real "stadium" in the picture and I am sure there were no turnstiles or actual tickets sold.

          Comment


          • #50
            Brookside Park

            I assume that the discussion is about "the photo" of the really, really big crowd at the amateur game with White Motors.
            There was no attendance taken, most folks didn't have any kind of ticket and the field is in a natural amphithetear at Brookside Park, which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system. Most folks agree(and most estimates say) that the crowd was in excess of 100k that day. I work at the zoo next door to the park and there is no doubt that the site could have held that many folks there and still could even though it is laid out differently now. Look at Google Earth and search under Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The park/ballpark area is adjacent to the zoo. It is now called the "Brookside Event Site". Cleveland used to love it's amater ball, as did all of America.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
              I'd like to thank Ubiq as well. The Tribe's ten cent beer didn't even draw that many

              What I think is funny is the people on the right that are practically clinging to the steep hill to watch the game!
              "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
                I assume that the discussion is about "the photo" of the really, really big crowd at the amateur game with White Motors.
                There was no attendance taken, most folks didn't have any kind of ticket and the field is in a natural amphithetear at Brookside Park, which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system. Most folks agree(and most estimates say) that the crowd was in excess of 100k that day. I work at the zoo next door to the park and there is no doubt that the site could have held that many folks there and still could even though it is laid out differently now. Look at Google Earth and search under Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The park/ballpark area is adjacent to the zoo. It is now called the "Brookside Event Site". Cleveland used to love it's amater ball, as did all of America.
                Ya' know.. I've had clinical at metro on the other side of W 25th and I never realized that I was just that close to an old ballpark.. Odd.. I still want to take a trek out to League Park and do some panoramics..

                "...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

                Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

                Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"



                - Vin Scully, Announcer

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yeah, just go during daylight hours and let us know when the long awaited renovation starts.
                  It's hard to imagine what Brookside looked like before I-71 was built, but it was truly a huge place to watch a ballgame, dwarfing old Municipal Stadium.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Here are some other photos of Brookside Park.
                    The bottom three pics are from 1914, 1915 and 1922
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I was asked by the vintage baseball team that plays here in town (The Cleveland Blues) to make an image of Kennard Street Park for their clubhouse in their home bar in downtown Cleveland, "The Clevelander".

                      I recently consolidated all the ballpark images I've created into a line of posters, so there's now a poster featuring this very little known park. It's based on an old Sanborn Fire Insurance map and written descriptions. It's about as accurate as you're going to get (which is, who really knows how accurate?). But there was a tree in the outfield!
                      http://www.thereusedtobeaballpark.com/product/kennard/

                      Kennard_700.jpg

                      There's more ballparks on the site (58 of em) if you want to poke around on it.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X