Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National League Park (Kennard Street Baseball Grounds / Kennard Street Park)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90feet
    replied
    I was asked by the vintage baseball team that plays here in town (The Cleveland Blues) to make an image of Kennard Street Park for their clubhouse in their home bar in downtown Cleveland, "The Clevelander".

I recently consolidated all the ballpark images I've created into a line of posters, so there's now a poster featuring this very little known park. It's based on an old Sanborn Fire Insurance map and written descriptions. It's about as accurate as you're going to get (which is, who really knows how accurate?). But there was a tree in the outfield!
    http://www.thereusedtobeaballpark.com/product/kennard/

Kennard_700.jpg

There's more ballparks on the site (58 of em) if you want to poke around on it.

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    Here are some other photos of Brookside Park.
    The bottom three pics are from 1914, 1915 and 1922

Leave a comment:

• Eyeshade
    replied
    Yeah, just go during daylight hours and let us know when the long awaited renovation starts.
    It's hard to imagine what Brookside looked like before I-71 was built, but it was truly a huge place to watch a ballgame, dwarfing old Municipal Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedPeanut
    replied
    Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
    I assume that the discussion is about "the photo" of the really, really big crowd at the amateur game with White Motors.
    There was no attendance taken, most folks didn't have any kind of ticket and the field is in a natural amphithetear at Brookside Park, which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system. Most folks agree(and most estimates say) that the crowd was in excess of 100k that day. I work at the zoo next door to the park and there is no doubt that the site could have held that many folks there and still could even though it is laid out differently now. Look at Google Earth and search under Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The park/ballpark area is adjacent to the zoo. It is now called the "Brookside Event Site". Cleveland used to love it's amater ball, as did all of America.
    Ya' know.. I've had clinical at metro on the other side of W 25th and I never realized that I was just that close to an old ballpark.. Odd.. I still want to take a trek out to League Park and do some panoramics..

Leave a comment:

• PurpleMustReign
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I'd like to thank Ubiq as well. The Tribe's ten cent beer didn't even draw that many

What I think is funny is the people on the right that are practically clinging to the steep hill to watch the game!

Leave a comment:

• Eyeshade
    replied
    Brookside Park

I assume that the discussion is about "the photo" of the really, really big crowd at the amateur game with White Motors.
    There was no attendance taken, most folks didn't have any kind of ticket and the field is in a natural amphithetear at Brookside Park, which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system. Most folks agree(and most estimates say) that the crowd was in excess of 100k that day. I work at the zoo next door to the park and there is no doubt that the site could have held that many folks there and still could even though it is laid out differently now. Look at Google Earth and search under Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The park/ballpark area is adjacent to the zoo. It is now called the "Brookside Event Site". Cleveland used to love it's amater ball, as did all of America.

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    Originally posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
    Or you could just read the

Attendance: 118000

on the picture..
    The attendance is clearly just an estimate, and I have read in the past that it may be wildly off. There is no real "stadium" in the picture and I am sure there were no turnstiles or actual tickets sold.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedPeanut
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Which wouldn't answer the question I was attempting to answer.
    Well.. If everybody occupies an area of four square feet, and you have at least four lengths to the field..

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Originally posted by RoastedPeanut View Post

on the picture..
    Which wouldn't answer the question I was attempting to answer.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    I found a reference to Beyerle Park in which it mentions a street railway system on Wilson AVe that ran from Scovill to Beyerle Park. That was put in place in 1883.
    For what its worth, Willson Avenue is now known as East 55th St. In 1883, that was Cleveland's easternmost border.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedPeanut
    replied
    AS for guessing, I guess you could probably do some rough back of the envelope calculations. Figure out the square footage of the area then divide by the square footage you think an average person would have taken up back in 1915. Sounds like a college study to me. Get a couple of frats together get them out on a hill see how much square footage X amount of college kids take up. Apply to what is known of the Brookside park area and presto you got yourself an estimate.

on the picture..

Leave a comment:

• elmer
    replied
    Kennard dimensions

RF - 325'

CF - 430'

LF - 285'

Back Stop - 90'

Go To: http://cplorg.cdmhost.com/cdm4/docum...SOPTR=44&REC=2
    go to plate #8

Click on Plate no. 5 zoom in on light green patch in upper right corner

Another old park can be found here: http://cplorg.cdmhost.com/cdm4/docum...OPTR=238&REC=1

click on plate #26

Tip: do not zoom too closely. It will require exiting and starting over. Once zoomed in there is no going back
    Last edited by elmer; 01-28-2015, 06:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Calif_Eagle
    Fantastic picture Ubiquitous! I havent seen it for years but growing up in Cleveland I did see it, I think the Press or PD once printed it when doing a retrospective piece on the game. You are surely correct in that you might get a quick and dirty crowd estimate with your technique. Cant help but believe there isnt a computer based way to do the same thing much faster. Maybe the CIA or NSA has the software to do it... Anyway, thanx again for a look at that shot... amazing crowd to be sure, especially for the day. The Indians had to be wondering what they could do to get a crowd like that lol
    I'd like to thank Ubiq as well. The Tribe's ten cent beer didn't even draw that many

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    You could talk to a civil engineer he probably has the software. Though again you would have to give him the dimensions and layout of the park. All the satellites do is give a more exact size of the sprawl, and then the engineers plug in their formula. The satellites and the programs are not really couting each head, but doing an estimate using rather basic math. Like I said above if you have the dimensions practically any engineer prof or craftsmen can do it. Probably even your fire department since they ratios as well.

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    Fantastic picture Ubiquitous! I havent seen it for years but growing up in Cleveland I did see it, I think the Press or PD once printed it when doing a retrospective piece on the game. You are surely correct in that you might get a quick and dirty crowd estimate with your technique. Cant help but believe there isnt a computer based way to do the same thing much faster. Maybe the CIA or NSA has the software to do it... Anyway, thanx again for a look at that shot... amazing crowd to be sure, especially for the day. The Indians had to be wondering what they could do to get a crowd like that lol

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X