No announcement yet.

Comiskey Park [I]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My original, vintage 1910 Comiskey Park brick. This brick and $4.00 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    IMG_0728.jpg
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      My original, vintage 1910 Comiskey Park brick. This brick and $4.00 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
      Nice. And that sweet 1934 Goudey Appling card can get you a lot of that Starbucks coffee anyway lol.

Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• One of the most beautiful Negro League photos you'll see, Sunday, August 23, 1936, the "East" roster poses for photos prior to the 4th Annual East-West All-Star Game.

Running parallel to the Major League's midsummer classic but typically held later in the season, it was initiated in 1933 and was primarily a Comiskey Park event for much of its 30-year existence, hosting the games from 1933-1945 (with rookie KC Monarch Jackie Robinson playing in the 1945 contest), 1947-1957, and 1959-1960 (excepting second games added in 1939, 1942, and 1948, and two games at other venues in 1946, the only games at Yankee Stadium in 1958 and 1961, and the final game at Municipal Stadium at Kansas City in 1962).

Voting was done through newspaper balloting, tallied by two major African-American papers of the day, the Chicago Defender and the Pittsburgh Courier. As some teams were independent, votes were counted by geographic location and not by league, hence the "East-West" game.

"East" luminaries pictured include a young (27 year old) Satchel Paige (tallest standing, 7th from left), an even younger (24 year old) Josh Gibson, two down from Paige, 9th from left, and Cool Papa Bell, seated on ground 3rd from left (next to bat boy). Manager Oscar Charleston is kneeling far left (1st in second row).

Attendance was 26,400. Only four teams were represented, the Pittsburgh Crawfords and Washington Elite Giants for the East, and the Kansas City Monarchs and Chicago American Giants for the West. The top vote getter for both teams was Paige, with 18,275 votes, over 7,000 more than anyone else.

It was a laugher for the East, 10-2, paced by Bell (3 for 3) and Gibson (2 for 3). Paige pitched the last 3 innings to close it out, only allowing an unearned run.

36eastwestnegroleagueallstargamecomiskey.jpg

Cover and East lineup from the scorecard.

eastwestscore1.jpg

1936-east-west-all-star-classic-negro-league-scorecard-josh-gibson-3.jpg

Game coverage and some editorializing from the Pittsburgh Courier, August 29, 1936 (only published on Saturdays at that time)

The_Pittsburgh_Courier_Sat__Aug_29__1936_a.jpg

Comment

• [QUOTE=alpineinc;n3136974]Per source, photos of visiting AL stars in Comiskey's opening season, 1910.

Interesting article from the 7/30/10 Chicago Tribune about Cobb and the Tigers' first trip to Comiskey - "Cobb has a new system. He doesn't waste his time in the outfield while others are practicing, but remains near the bench and tries to learn the art of pitching by warming up to any catcher who is willing."

cr1910a.jpg

Wonder if Chic Gandil of 1919 Black Sox infamy was fumbling with the ball due to another bet. What a great sportswriter Ring Lardner was!
          Last edited by 3rdGenCub; 01-06-2018, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post
            [
            Wonder if Chic Gandil of 1919 Black Sox infamy was fumbling with the ball due to another bet. What a great sportswriter Ring Lardner was!
            Was going to follow up by saying how great it was that the Chicago Tribune has been offering their entire archive for free, but since I posted those articles they've now been redirected to the newspapers.com pay site. Very unfortunate, but it is great that all these archives have been made available, even though you have to pay for them.

Comment

• After 27+ years since Old Comiskey Park met the wrecking ball, the "Baseball Palace of the World" is coming alive again as I'm creating a 3D interactive model of the park. Be sure to follow @SportsBandbox on Twitter to watch progress and frequent updates as the ballpark comes out of the ground as it did 109yrs ago. Started from the ground up as I'm working on the lower bowl and associated structure. Here's a few pics....

Comment

• Great stuff, PowerAlley21! Looking forward to future pics!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X