Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How you feel about retractable roof stadiums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnny View Post
    Of course, prior to that I was sweating it out inside the Kingdome which had a disconcerting habit of letting rooftiles drop a couple a hundred feet on to the floor.
    Seriously, the Safeco roof is a cool thing and still allows one to feel outdoors. Plus it is nice to watch the damn thing slide across.

The tiles fell once in 1994. That is not a habit. The Kingdome wasn't maintained properly. The blueprints called for a 5 inch pour of concrete for the roof.. A construction accident in 1975 revealed it was less than half of it. The thinner roof led to leaking, condensation buildup and the eventual tile collapse.

Comment

Hate em.
      Baseball was meant to be played outdoors and if it rains then so be it. How many games get rained out in a year anyway?
      Yes it gets cold in April here in Chicago and it can be in the 90s and humid in the summer but it has worked for over 100 years.
      I am not old fashioned or stubborn but why mess with a good thing for the small payoff that it offers?

Other than Arizona is there any team that really has to have any kind of roof over their stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by steveox View Post
        And i wish baltimore would get one too.
        Please, please, please tell me you're kidding.

That M&T Bank Stadium has FieldTurf instead of natural grass, and that recent skyscrapers have obstructed the view of the Bromo Seltzer Tower, annoys me enough.

The concept that Oriole Park at Camden Yards would be covered with some monstrosity of a roof would just be a crime against humanity.

Comment

The one in Seattle came in handy when I was there two summers ago. I like what they do in Arizona, cool the stadium off before the game, but open it at game time. It was cool and pleasant in the seating areas after the 113 degree walk to the ballpark. Miller Park could have gotten away without having one, but that roof design is so cool it's hard to not like the place.

Houston has the same problem as Florida, humidity that makes it unpleasant to be outside even on a night with mild temperatures on paper. An unfortunate truth about the South Florida climate is that almost every afternoon in the summer, like clockwork, the sky gets dark, it pours harder than anyone from the north can imagine, and then stops. Rain here doesn't usually last long, but it comes down hard when it does. The Marlins have very few rainouts, but rain delays happen all the time and they keep people away. So I support a roof here to keep the rain delays away, let people know that if they drive down there, a game will be played, and make it bearable to go to a 1:00 game on Sunday, because when it's not raining, it sure is blazing hot and sticky out there
          1997 2003
          Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

I agree that baseball should be played outdoors...it used to be played outdoors in houston (buffs stadium) when we were a minor league town...one problem with colt stadium was it had no overhang for cover...minute maid has brought back outdoor baseball to houston to an extent...but even with the roof closed, the park still feels cozy and inviting, thats just my opinion
            Houston Rockets
            playoffs:1969,75,77,79,80,81,82,85,86,87,88,89,90, 91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2004,05,07,08
            West Champions:81,86,94,95
            NBA Champions:94,95
            Houston Astros
            Playoffs: 1980,86,97,98,99,01,04,05
            NL west champs: 80,86
            NL central champs: 97,98,99,01
            NL Wild Card: 04,05
            NL Champions: 05
            Houston Oilers: AFL champs 1960,61
            Texas Longhorns class of 2012
            Lufkin Panthers div 2 state champs 2001

Comment

I don't care for them, went to a game at Milwaukee and it wasn't like real outdoor baseball. It was much better then the Metrodome but even with the roof open it still seemed like you were closed in. For those 10-15 poor weather days I bet that roof is wonderful but I think it takes away from the whole atmosphere during the decent to great days.

Comment

100 years ago we didn't have the technology to have retractable roofs, so when you say the baseball was meant to be played outdoors I have a hard time believing it since they didn't have structures big enough to hold a baseball field indoors when it was invented. However once something is done and set in stone people hate change. Would you be saying baseball should be played outdoors if it was indoors the first 100 years. What if basketball was played outdoors first, would you be saying the same thing then?

WISCONSIN WEATHER!!! Miller Park IS needed. I swear there is a magic line between Wisconsin and the rest of the world that we get such unpredictable weather. It's freezing in the winter and freaking hot and humid in the summer, fall is the best time of year except for those damn asian beetles that plague your house like locusts in a farm field.

Comment

Originally posted by steveox View Post
                  I like them.It saves rainouts and hot n cold weather plus you can still grow grass.
                  Meh, the only one I like is SafeCo, all the other ones look like airplane hangars. I'm so glad the Twins ditched the roof with their new one.
                  1924 1987 1991
                  1925, 1933, 1965
                  1969, 1970, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010
                  10/26/1991
                  ....And we'll see you tomorrow night!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twins91871977 View Post
                    Meh, the only one I like is SafeCo, all the other ones look like airplane hangars. I'm so glad the Twins ditched the roof with their new one.
                    I don't much care what they look like . . . if it's "cool" . . . it's cool. My only visit to a retract. was the BOB (looks just like an airplane hangar by the way . . .ha!) in '98. It was 108 that late afternoon and I had always disliked domes or retracts up till then. I quickly become a convert.

I think as technology progresses, you will see stadiums which have retracts that fold or merely go down in the ground, so as to keep the the stadium on nice days looking as if it's an "old school" outdoor park. (You listening Boston? . . . j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by Hank 755 View Post
                      100 years ago we didn't have the technology to have retractable roofs, so when you say the baseball was meant to be played outdoors I have a hard time believing it since they didn't have structures big enough to hold a baseball field indoors when it was invented. However once something is done and set in stone people hate change. Would you be saying baseball should be played outdoors if it was indoors the first 100 years. What if basketball was played outdoors first, would you be saying the same thing then?

WISCONSIN WEATHER!!! Miller Park IS needed. I swear there is a magic line between Wisconsin and the rest of the world that we get such unpredictable weather. It's freezing in the winter and freaking hot and humid in the summer, fall is the best time of year except for those damn asian beetles that plague your house like locusts in a farm field.
                      They did not have the technology to use Astroturf 100 years ago either and how did that abomination work out? Do you want aluminum bats as well? How about electronic sensors in the players shoes, gloves and in the bases to determine who is safe and who is out? A computer to call the balls and strikes? Hey, the technology exists so why not turn it into a video game right?

If some people cannot deal with a cool evening or a hot summer day at the ballpark then maybe they should stay at home and watch it on TV where everything is controlled like a hermetically sealed bubble.

By the way... if they could build a retractable roof over the Roman Coliseum 2000 years ago then I am pretty sure that they could have done the same thing in 1930s America if they had wanted to.

Comment

I'm not wild about retractable roofs in general. They are better than fixed roofs, but that's about it. Even Safeco, far and away the best of the retractable roof ballparks, is diminished by its roof, not improved. I can't think of any possible example where we can say a retractable roof ballpark will be the best ballpark in baseball. A nice outdoor ballpark will beat a nice retractable roof ballpark any day.

That being said, they are something of a necessary evil in places. Seattle is a no-brainer. And the rest there is some logic behind it. And as much as I personally don't mind the heat and humidity in Florida, I do know that there are some people who do, so while I'd rather personally see an open-air ballpark for the Marlins, I can understand why they are building a retractable roof park. It just stinks that the Marlins aren't going to be able to lay claim to having the absolute best ballpark in baseball due to the roof. That won't keep them from building a good ballpark a la Safeco, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                          By the way... if they could build a retractable roof over the Roman Coliseum 2000 years ago then I am pretty sure that they could have done the same thing in 1930s America if they had wanted to.
                          The Roman Collosseum did have a form of retractable roof called a velarium. It had to be pulled over to cover the seating area. There was a hole left in the center of the velarium, similar to the way Texas Stadium is.

In Houston, the retractable roof works well. Contrary to the belief of some who haven't been to a ball game at Minute Maid Park, the roof slides completely off the stadium along with an entire glass wall. It is truly an open air stadium when the roof is open.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Indylavi View Post
                            Depends on the sport and location. For instance, last Sunday's Seattle Seahawks game it was raining and they never closed the roof. For baseball, I perfer an outdoor park myself. But if it rains a lot or extremely hot I can understand why.
                            There is no roof for the Seahawks' Qwest Field. Safeco, next door to the south, has a retractable roof.

Btw, a football field should never have a roof. Football can and should be played in any kind of weather there is. (Don't even get me started on artificial turf!)

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
                              Seriously, the Safeco roof is a cool thing and still allows one to feel outdoors.
                              That is a good way to sum it up.

:twocents:

Comment

I like it when you live in an enviroment with a lot of moscitos or it snows/rains in the colder months. I like miller park and safeco is great, the sky dome isn't that bad either. Sometimes you lose that ballpark feel on the outisde, but sun and baseball are better than the trop if you as me!
                                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X