Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenway homers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by elmer; 06-26-2012, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• 3D conversion of those long blasts. http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Lpeters199; 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
        3D conversion of those long blasts. http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html
        I don't have the exact distances, but I was present when Rick Reichardt and Dick Allen, of the White Sox, both cleared the centerfield stands in arcs similar to that shown for Babe Ruth. This was in the era when the White Sox wore red caps, stirrup socks, undersleeves and lettering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
          I don't have the exact distances, but I was present when Rick Reichardt and Dick Allen, of the White Sox, both cleared the centerfield stands in arcs similar to that shown for Babe Ruth. This was in the era when the White Sox wore red caps, stirrup socks, undersleeves and lettering.
          Joe, can you give more complete descriptions of those two you saw. Allen's was likely
          hit on June 2nd 1974. Reichardt's probably June 18, 1972 with Dick Allen watching from the Chicago bench
          Last edited by elmer; 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Roberto Clemente hit a homer over 500 feet at Wrigley Field on May 17, 1959. Clemente's homer sailed out of the park, just to the left of the scoreboard.

clemente59_wrigley.jpg
            Last edited by Dennisv21; 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
              Joe, can you give more complete descriptions of those two you saw. Allen's was likely
              hit on June 2nd 1974. Reichardt's probably June 18, 1972 with Dick Allen watching from the Chicago bench
              Sorry I can't be more specific. I recall that both balls were well over the screen, and that Reichardt's ball was hit to center hard enough that it passed over the corner of the bleachers.

Comment

• Thank you Joe. Reichardt's might qualify for "right of the flag pole homer"

The wall 37' 2" the screen 23 feet.

Comment

• Larry Doby homer
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Saw this thread bumped and was surprised not see any mention of Matt Holliday's Friday night blast at Busch.. Longest on record at Busch Stadium III

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/21/ma...busch-stadium/

Comment

• I would think Ruth has many different field distance records. The center field 575 footer in Detroit comes to mind immediately. Jenkinson notes that the wind was blowing directly out to center by 18MPH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                        I would think Ruth has many different field distance records. The center field 575 footer in Detroit comes to mind immediately. Jenkinson notes that the wind was blowing directly out to center by 18MPH.
                        a few here....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...foot+home+runs

Comment

• Very Nice display on the Fenway longest homers. Still missing a "big" one, Harmon Killebrew July 21st, second game of a twi-night double header.
                          Fourth inning off of Dennis Bennett. This was the legendary (could be and probably is B.S.) shot to the railroad track (see the Gus Zernial 1957 homer for reference)
                          that went into an open box car on a moving freight train headed out to Chicago (therefore "The longest HR EVER!!").
                          Don't think the box car story was true, but I was a 14 year old kid at that double header (jeez I'm old now!!) and I still to this day, and well over a thousand games watched at Fenway, including the Manny years, I never saw a ball leave Fenway and disappear faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
                            Nice elmer

Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Jenkinson has Ruth with the longest homer in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, with Mantle takin' him down in Griffith and Yankee Stadium.

Oh, and Pittsburgh of course

Comment

• Originally posted by Xsvfan View Post
                              Is there a record anywhere of the longest home run hit at each major league ballpark?
                              Does this exist? Hit Tracker should have all the data since 2005.

Also, kudos to Moi for finding a thread from 2001. I feel like 85% of pre 2005 threads have been erased, which is a shame!!

Comment

• Here is a repost of my story I told in the Cleveland Municpal Stadium thread a lonf time ago.....

I think this happened back in 1992.
                                One night I was sitting at work bored to death so to pass the time I was doodling a picture of the old stadium from the perspective of sitting behind home plate. A friend of mine saw my picture and commented how he saw Frank Howard hit a ball up into the upper deck and pointed at a spot half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing at the end of the grandstand in left field. He then told me that Howard hit another homer in the same game and the ball landed in the last row of the red seats and two sections to the left of the previous home run. Of course I said your full of horsebleep because both of those homers would have been farther than Luke Easters.
                                According to all of the old programs and media guides that I have say that Easter’s home run landed in the upper deck section 4 a total of 477 feet from home plate. The Indians had marked the seat with a sticker that gave the date and the distance.
                                In getting more details of these home runs from my friend he told me that Sam McDowell gave up both homers. With that I got very existed because the following day was Wahoo Winterfest, an event the Indians would have just before the start of spring training. Anyway one of the guest speakers that day was Sam McDowell. So my friend and myself went down to ask Sam about the homers. During the seminar they took questions from the audience so my friend said to Sam “ I was at a game in May of 1968 and you gave up two home runs to Frank Howard “. To witch Sam replied “ picky, picky, picky “. After the crowd stopped laughing I said “ We don’t care that you gave up the home runs, we just want to know how fare they went. After the crowd stopped laughing again he said. Well the first one I threw him a fastball, he hit it so hard I thought it was going into orbit. It landed in the first section of the upper deck in left field, half way up in the yellow seats and a few seats from the railing. He said if he would have hit it about four feet towards center that it would have gone out of the stadium. He then said that the next one he threw him another fastball and that he must not have gotten all of that one because it landed two sections to the left in the last row of red seats. Sam’s recollection of the events matched what my friend saw perfectly.
                                After the seminar I walked over and I asked Sam why the Indians consider Luke Easter’s home run the farthest at the stadium. He asked me, who did Luke Easter play for? I said the Indians. He asked who did Frank Howard play for? I said the Senators. He said that’s your answer.
                                As we walked out of the seminar I bumped into Indians VP and head of PR Bob Dibiaso. So I asked him why Easter’s is considered the farthest home run and he told me because right field is farther at the stadium. I told him that I had a copy of the blueprints and that the stadium is symmetrical. He said that my blueprints are wrong. I told him that he was crazy and walked away. I actually think there is a conspiracy and a cover up in the organization.
                                My favorite part of the story is this. One day after working a game against the Yankees, I used to usher.
                                I waited outside the Yankee locker room to ask Frank Howard, who was coaching first base for the Yankees, if he remembered the home runs. When he came out of the locker room I asked him if I could ask him few questions and if he could follow me up into the grandstand. To my surprise he said yes. As we stood in a tunnel in the lower deck behind home plate I pointed up into the upper deck where he hit the home runs. He told me that he wouldn’t doubt that he hit balls up there but he said he hit so many balls like that that he has no idea where they landed. He said that when he played you hit the ball put your head down and ran the basses. He said he was sorry he couldn’t help any more than that and I thanked him for his time.
                                Although he didn’t give me the answer I was hoping for it was still a cool answer non-the less.
                                Since all of this happened I have met two other people that where at the game and they also confirmed where the balls landed. I have also found the box score on the internet the date was May 16, 1968

Here is a drawing that gives the distance on a flat line and the elevation at witch they struck the grandstand.

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X