Longest Home Runs Ever by Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aegis
    According to BaseballLibrary.com (no official date given, unfortunately) Jim Thome hit a 511-foot shot at Jacobs Field once, setting a record not only for that stadium but for any and every stadium in Cleveland.
    That would be 7/3/1999
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

it happened during bp

giants programmers had a bit of tape a few years back of a broken window high on the brick warehouse across the street from oriole park. the ball was not pulled. the culprit: barry bonds.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
        giants programmers had a bit of tape a few years back of a broken window high on the brick warehouse across the street from oriole park. the ball was not pulled. the culprit: barry bonds.
        Yeah, baby
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

In Herb Carneal's book, he states that a rec director from a local prison measured and figured out all of the arcs and angles and projections at the Met. He claims Metropolitan stadium was the first stadium to actually give a true measurement to a homer instead of a guess or guesstimate.
          Can one take this as Gospel? I really don't know..

Comment

Originally posted by janduscframe
            In Herb Carneal's book, he states that a rec director from a local prison measured and figured out all of the arcs and angles and projections at the Met. He claims Metropolitan stadium was the first stadium to actually give a true measurement to a homer instead of a guess or guesstimate.
            Can one take this as Gospel? I really don't know..
            As long as it's talking about where the ball actually came down, not where they estimate it would have if nothing was in the way. You have varying wind, varying amount of force from the bat and varying angles the ball could have come in at.

Comment

Tommie Agee hit one to the upperdeck @ Shea in fair territory, that has to be the longest. People speculate about Straw and Mo Vaughns scoreboard shots, but an upperdecker in fair territory @ Shea is a monster shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                That would be 7/3/1999
                Thank you much.

Comment

I've read of these "measured" HRs. Documented corrections are welcome.

Baltimore Memorial 5/8/66 541' FrRobinson
                  Braves Field 9/7/51 500' MIrvin
                  Busch 5/16/98 545' McGwire
                  Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey
                  Cleveland Municipal 6/23/50 477' LEaster
                  Comiskey1 5/6/64 573'? DNicholson
                  Comiskey2 8/30/04 504' JBorchard
                  Fenway 6/23/01 501' MRamirez
                  Griffith 4/17/53 565'? Mantle
                  Jacobs 7/3/99 511' Thome
                  KC Municipal 5/29/55 500' Doby
                  Kingdome 6/24/97 538' McGwire
                  Milwaukee County 9/14/91 528' CFielder
                  Olympic 5/20/78 535' Stargell
                  Pro Player 5/31/97 529' Galarraga
                  Tiger 9/10/60 634'? Mantle
                  Veteran 5/29/65 529' DAllen
                  Wrigley 4/14/76 630'? DKingman
                  Yankee 4/17/56 500'+ Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                    I respect your post, I am sure you only post what you read at some source. Still hard to believe that anyone could actually, accurately determine that two balls were hit and one was hit 10 feet further than the other.

How would anyone ever know the exact spot where both balls first landed?
                    There are people who stand out there on the street waiting for homerun balls. There's a thread in the Cubs forum discussing this event. I'll dig it up.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=9080

Originally posted by Ballhawk
                    I was standing in the crosswalk when Sammy blasted that one. Came right at me, well, actually right over me. I turned and ran down Kenmore, saw where it hit the street, and followed the bounce over the car into somebody's front yard where I dove on it and just laid on the ground and listened to the roar of the crowd. Local TV measured it at 536' 2".

I've got some pictures on my website www.ballhawk.com as well as a more detailed play-by-play on my blog www.ballhawk.com/wc.htm.

Seeing that ball rise up in the night was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen...
                    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                      There are people who stand out there on the street waiting for homerun balls. There's a thread in the Cubs forum discussing this event. I'll dig it up.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=9080
                      I read an article in Sports illustrated about thirty years ago. That is what got me started in Cleveland and other parts

Comment

In Fenway, there is the red seat in the RF bleachers that signifies Ted Williams 502' HR in 1946. Rumor has it that others have gone farther but the Red Sox protect Ted's legacy. Manny Ramirez hit a 501' (one ft shorter!?!?) bomb high off a light tower in LF. Jim Rice hit a titanic shot over everything in center. Carl Yastrzemski is the only person to ever hit the grandstand facade in RF - the ball was still going up when it hit. He just missed becoming the first to ever hit one out of Fenway to right.

Comment

The Longest Home Run

BELIEVE IT OR NOT!
                          According to The New Baseball Catalog, the longest four-bagger ever was by Ernie Lombard, 1930s Cincinatti catcher. He hit it over the center field fence and the ball landed in a truck that carried it 30 miles.

Comment

Fenway
                            1. Williams, 502 (red seat, of course)
                            2. Ramirez, 501

Comment

Lets be real here. How could they possibly determine that one ball went one foot longer than another. Was a fan sitting right there, exactly where Manny hit that ball. Thats cutting it kind of thin to say the least. Lets just say they were hit in the same neighborhood, thats the only logical answer.

Comment

Norm Cash holds the record for the most homers hit out of Tiger Stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X