No announcement yet.

Longest Home Runs Ever by Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I can give only what I know of San Diego. In 1998 McGwire reached the upper Loge level (just below upper deck) in dead center. Bonds also hit the jumbotron in Qualcomm Stadium a couple years ago and people said that was the longest they'd ever seen even with some of the blasts Dave Kingman hit.
    At PETCO so far the longest ball I've seen hit was Khalil Greene's Foul Ball that landed on the Roof of the Western Metal Building in that game against the Cubs where they Pads wore the 1984 Home Jerseys. Plenty of time for other players to clear that thing though.
    http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7229/czzyzx41sig029qd.png

Comment

Originally posted by Fenway24
      According to The New Baseball Catalog, the longest four-bagger ever was by Ernie Lombard, 1930s Cincinatti catcher. He hit it over the center field fence and the ball landed in a truck that carried it 30 miles.
      I read about that once. I believe it was on Reds trivia on FSN. Dunn holds the record for the longest in GABP. I believe it was 505 ft.
      Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

The longest ever at Comerica was 453 feet by Chipper Jones... I remember because it was the next game after Eric Munson hit a 451 shot to (almost) the exact same place.

Also, it was a miserable, rainy game and one of the few times I left before the end.

Babe Ruth supposedly hit a 626 foot HR at Tiger Stadium, but that seems more myth than truth.
        "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
          I respect your post, I am sure you only post what you read at some source. Still hard to believe that anyone could actually, accurately determine that two balls were hit and one was hit 10 feet further than the other.

How would anyone ever know the exact spot where both balls first landed?
          ONe of the surveying classes a few years ago took shots at Miller Park and measurements all over the outfield. and after they got all those shots, they are able to interpolate to get the measurement.

and sammy's shot was 520 feet. it also went 4 houses down Kenmore.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarfn5
            I read about that once. I believe it was on Reds trivia on FSN. Dunn holds the record for the longest in GABP. I believe it was 505 ft.
            I'd appreciate it if you have the date for it
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

HR out of Tiger Stadium

My Father and I attended a Tigers game in 1999 vs. The White Sox. I wanted to see a game there before they tore down the stadium. Chicago won the game 12-4, however, there was one memorable moment for the Home Team.
              We witnessed the longest Home Run I've ever seen when Karim Garcia crushed a ball OVER the Right Field Roof! It left the stadium so fast that the Jumbo Screen had to replay it for the fans to view the ball clearing the roof by 20 feet (over a flag pole)! My estimate would be 550+.
              Does anyone else have any information or remember this HR?

Mike in El Paso, TX

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by michael_cochrane
                My Father and I attended a Tigers game in 1999 vs. The White Sox. I wanted to see a game there before they tore down the stadium. Chicago won the game 12-4, however, there was one memorable moment for the Home Team.
                We witnessed the longest Home Run I've ever seen when Karim Garcia crushed a ball OVER the Right Field Roof! It left the stadium so fast that the Jumbo Screen had to replay it for the fans to view the ball clearing the roof by 20 feet (over a flag pole)! My estimate would be 550+.

Mike in El Paso, TX
                HELLO. just wanted to let you know that tiger stadium is still standing, they did not tear it down DONALD DETROIT MI
                LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by michael_cochrane

Mike in El Paso, TX
                  Are you sure this was a Det-Chi game in 1999, with a score of 12-4?
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Dave Nicholson

With respect to the talk of Nicholson's shot out of Comiskey, it was speculated that the Sox went to great efforts to find a way to top Mantle's 1953 blast in Washington. Hence the 573 feet!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMike98
                      With respect to the talk of Nicholson's shot out of Comiskey, it was speculated that the Sox went to great efforts to find a way to top Mantle's 1953 blast in Washington. Hence the 573 feet!
                      It was also speculated that the Yanks went to great efforts to get Mantle 565 feet

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        Yeah, baby
                        for the record, the window waaaaaaay out there and waaaaaaay up there was broken during bp.
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Mantle's longest by park

Yankee Stadium Fischer facade hr. 550'
                          Aug. 23, 1956 - his homer hits the 20th row in left field's 3rd deck. 545'
                          Municipal, KC 500' to CF near outer corner. Another hits top of scoreboard
                          in RC. 480-490' if unimpeded. Another in the same game landed in the opening of 21st st. just beyond Brooklyn Ave. 495-515'
                          Cleveland Municipal 475 to RF upper deck
                          Briggs-Tiger Stad. hit cab co against 20 mph wind 475 feet away
                          30 feet off the ground. Ball hit directly against stiff breeze 12-15mph easily. Est. 500' without wind 535'
                          July '56, Hits line drive 4 rows from top of bleacher upper deck in very deep RC
                          est. 520 feet. Landing spot was indicated on a photo by Paul Foytack. Was in bullpen at the time
                          and said homer was a line drive.
                          Hit ball that ended up in Lumber mill across street. It bounced over the roof. 485' feet.
                          Comiskey Park. Hit screamer off Billy Pierce high in Upper Deck in Left near the last row,
                          probably 480' if unimpeded.
                          another lands in the RC upper deck-last section halfway up, 445' from home plate 44 feet above
                          playing field. In 1961 during BP Mickey hit one over the RC light tower 440' from home and 140
                          feet high; this ball would have traveled 525' then another that hits the top of the 80 foot high CF
                          scoreboard above the bleachers, == 528'
                          Fenway Park, hit LF light tower 35' above Green Monster still going up over - 490'
                          Fenway park 9/21/1956. Hits back wall above section 36 480-487 feet distant. 510'
                          Shibe Park, Connie Mack Stadium- Shot to deep LC over roof lands on
                          house across street 500 feet from home plate. est 520'
                          Griffith Stadium. Home run on opening day '56 lands on house 520' from Home Plate. est. 530'
                          Sportsmans Park hit porch roof 20' above ground across street
                          in deep left field. 499' from home plate. Est. 512'.
                          Forbes field home run over corner in deep right field lands on back of
                          roof 450' from home plate, est. 505' - 510 feet
                          Ebbets Field=World Series HR est 460' = upper deck in deep LC
                          Anaheim - to Left Field 462 feet
                          Oct. 1960 hit high over 436' mark at Forbes in WS 495'
                          Memorial Stad. Baltimore - 462 feet to dead center over hedge
                          also another 5 rows from top of RC bleachers est. unimpeded 475'.

Bovard Field at USC Left-handed clears fence in RC and width of football field 548-550 feet.
                          Right-handed Clears road and 3 houses up street perpendicular to park. Ball lands on 4th house roof, a 2 story house-
                          530' from Home plate. Est. 550'.
                          Holman Field, Vero Beach Fl. In the spring of '61 Mickey clears the RC fence and a tree line well beyond
                          Don Demeter in CF says he knew it would clear the trees as soon as Mickey hit it. 500'
                          Doubleday Field, West Point, NY. Mickey hits one over the fence the road and 50' high Cullum Hall a blast
                          of at least 500' - 525'.
                          Swayne Field, Toledo, Ohio in Aug. '51 Mickey hit a ball "200 feet high" over a light tower that lands
                          behind a gas station across the road well out into a field. the back of the gas station is 470' from home plate.
                          Huggins=Stengel Field in St. Petersburg Fl. Mickey hit into Crescent Lake minimally 485'
                          from home.
                          Al Lang Field. St. Petersburg Hit opposite field home run into Tampa Bay over straight left field; 500'
                          Miami Stadium. Over Center Field Wall deep into parking lot 500+ feet
                          Al Lang Field Spring 1956'. Mickey's longest HR vs. the Cards Larry Jackson. Hi over CF fence Witness marked spot. 567'
                          homer becomes legend and is known as the "Fountain of Youth" home run.
                          Last edited by elmer; 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM. Reason: additional

Comment

Eddie Matthews hit the longest HR at the Astrodome--there was a seat in the LF upper deck with a toy cannon painted on it to commemorate it.

I've been looking for the longest HR at Tropicana Field--Vinny Castilla hit a 478-foot shot in 2001 although I'd heard Jonny Gomes hit one longer within the last couple of years. Also I was at a Rays game in 2005 vs. Boston and Ortiz hit two over the last catwalk that landed near the top of the RF bleachers. Those have to be right up there.

Not to get off topic but this begs the question--how do you measure a HR that hits the catwalk? Project the distance it would have traveled unobstructed?

Comment

Originally posted by KingStreetSquire
                              Harmon Killebrew hit the longest ever at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.
                              Killebrew's homerun was the longest distance-wise. I believe he hit it to center field.

Now, the only player to clear the bleachers in Memorial Stadium was Frank Robinson. They put up a flag that said "Here" to mark where the ball left the park. But I believe Frank's homerun was slightly shorter than Killebrews.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilRays1969
                                Eddie Matthews hit the longest HR at the Astrodome--there was a seat in the LF upper deck with a toy cannon painted on it to commemorate it.
                                That is untill someone figures out how far Mike Schmidt's HR in '74 would of went if it didn't hit the PA speaker.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X