No announcement yet.

Longest Home Runs Ever by Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about posting some photos of where KNOWN longest HR's landed? I suppose some speculative ones would be nice, too, at least a photo would give us all some perspective.

I know the longest at old Busch hit the St. Louis Post Dispatch sign, which I outlined below by a PURPLE BOX just left of center, and just underneath the upper deck. I have haerd anything from 505 (as previosly posted) up to 545 or so for this collossal shot. The Center field fence reads 404, to give you some perspecitve....

It has been said that either McGwire, or the ball, was juiced that day.... but I would not be surprised if the ball was also juiced. Remember, this was 1998.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Fenway

Ted Williams' Red Seat shot:

Anybody who's been to Fenway knows that is a long, long, long, long way away. I wish I could find out if anybody has video of it....:

Comment

Griffith HR.gif

Griffith HR 2.gif

Micky Mantle was ridiculous..... Photos from themick.com. The guy could hit them completely out of just about every stadium he ever played in, and from EITHER side of the plate.

The famous Griffith Stadium 565 footer.
        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Yankee Shot.gif

And this one... at Yankee Stadium... well, I was there in 2004 with my son, who was 8 or 9 at the time. I pointed to the spot on the facade where Mickey hit this one, and he still does not believe it.

Comment

Longest at Shea Stadium

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pic with the full perspective, so I have to describe it. Tommie Agee's shot into the left-field upper deck in Shea Stadium was unusual not only because of its great height but also because there's very little fair territory between the pole and the edge of the seats.
            Attached Files

Comment

Glenallen Hill's Rooftop Homer at Wrigley..... May 12, 2000.

The kid holding the ball is Rick Frohock. He caught the ball, an this AP photo shows exactly where the rooftop in question is located. Very much down the left field line, but out of the park, across a street, and still high enough to be on the roof of a 2, 3 story building???? (really 3 1/2 with the roof additions for the fans).... a LONG way.
              Attached Files

Comment

A chart from Hit Tracker on the Hill homer. Looks like Mr Frohock was 54 feet in the air when he caught the ball.
                Attached Files

Comment

Mickey Mantle hit a home run in Detroit that Paul Foytack states was a LINE DRIVE. His vantage point at
                  that moment was the CF bullpen. Mr. Foytack stated the ball would probably have traveled
                  about 50' further if it had not been impeded by the 4th row from the top
                  of the very deep RCF upper deck of bleachers. the ball hit that row 470' from home plate
                  55' above the ground.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660805302498
                  http://www.amazon.com/Year-Babe-Ruth.../dp/0786719060

an estimate will be given for every Major League home run Ruth ever hit
                  accurate to within 10 feet.
                  in the new book at this site.
                  Last edited by elmer; 02-06-2007, 05:58 AM.

Comment

traetzloff: the guy who goes to a frozen lake in Canada and hits the golf ball 3 miles

jim rice once hit one for miles, but i do not recall the distance.
                    he was flown up north by a golfball manufacturer to do the promotion stunt.
                    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
                      i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game!
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I'd appreciate it if you have the date for it
                        August 10, 2004. Can watch it on my blog at dunnreal.blogspot.com
                        Last edited by Mad Guru; 02-08-2007, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          As long as it's talking about where the ball actually came down, not where they estimate it would have if nothing was in the way. You have varying wind, varying amount of force from the bat and varying angles the ball could have come in at.
                          Very true, if anyone would like here, (I studied to be an aerospace engineer for a while(until i changed to electrical) and did alot of experiments/studying on projectiles) i could give ideas of how hard a ball would have to be hit off a bat to travel distances of 500+ feet.

Comment

A diagram of Frank Robinson's moonshot at Memorial Stadium, the only home run to ever clear the bleachers at that park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...dium_here1.JPG
                            Last edited by PeteU; 02-08-2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                              rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
                              i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game!
                              Yes I was Tony!

The thing about McCovey was not only that he crushed the ball, with that long swing of his he looked like was going to hit it to the moon, not just out of the park!
                              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

has anyone ever gone up to the exact location of where one of these longest homers landed and be amazed at the distance to home plate?
                                to see home plate from upper deck candlestick you need binocs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X