Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest at Fenway

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    A long one at Fenway. According to the N.Y.Times this one landed about 6 rows from the back of the bleachers. Anything near the back of the bleachers at Fenway, 6 or 16 rows from the back wall is a long way.

Home run number 16, May 25, 1926 7th inning, Babe Ruth.
    The new Ruth Book by Bill Jenkinson states it landed in the 45th row. Another Ruth hit landed in the 42nd row.

Williams home run landed in 37th row.....

Comment

In Veterans Stadium. Willie Stargell hit a homerun that traveled to the 600 level of the Vet. It was marked with a yellow star enclosed in a white circle with a black "S" to commemorate where the ball hit. The spot was towards right field, and was the longest home run hit in the park. The star remained there until the Vet was demolished. I do not know, however, how far the ball traveled.

In Citizens Bank Park, Ryan Howard currently holds the mark for the longest home run in the park. On April 23, 2006, Howard became the first player to hit a homerun that landed in Ashburn Alley. It traveled 496 feet. Howard also hit another homerun in June of that year against Mike Mussina of the Yankees that landed in the top level of the stands towards right field. The ball traveled 481 feet, and is marked with a letter "H" at Section 304, Row 1, Seat 8.

Also in OPACY, balls that landed in the Eutaw Street Alley are marked with landmarks telling who and when the ball hit the spot. Only Ken Griffey Jr. hit the warehouse during the Home Run Derby in 1993.

Comment

http://home.mindspring.com/~gearhard/taletape.html

This site also can tell you about some of the longest homeruns ever recorded in Pirates history.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by elmer; 06-03-2008, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by riverfrontier View Post
            There is no way that Mickey Mantle ever hit a ball, on the fly, to the 'X' outside of that Tiger Stadium photo. Baseball myths and fish stories are one and the same. Anybody who has ever been to Tiger Stadium would laugh at the dimensions (dementions) of a claim like that. I actually saw George Brett hit a home run to the roof in 1988. In the spirit of this thread, I'd like to say it was still going up when it cleared the roof, but I'd be lying. Why are these mythic tape-measure home runs always hit in stadiums with a roof that would always interfere with a nice, clean 600 foot shot? Why are they never, ever seen (hit) in parks where it would be very easy to measure the exact distance from the plate to final landing spot? It's exactly like people who claim to have witnessed paranormal events. It's always hearsay, and always impossible to disprove. Like a 30 foot Great White Shark or the idea of Heaven.
            Back in 1990 I believe, I saw Cal Ripken hit a shot that I swore came within a few rows of clearing the bleachers of Memorial Stadium, a la Frank Robinison. But of course I was 11 years old at the time and maybe my depth perception wasn't as good as I thought. Cal was never the distance slugger like a Mantle, Kilebrew or McGwire. But I like to believe he did hit a bomb that day, if only for the fact he was Cal Ripken and I was an 11 year old Orioles fan at the apex of Cal's career.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Last edited by elmer; 06-03-2008, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Who hit the longest home run in the history of Safeco Field?

Comment

Originally posted by elmer View Post
                  April 22, 2007-

Chase Utley hit a mammoth, you-wish-you-were-there-to-see-it home run over the batter's eye in dead-center field and onto Ashburn Alley.

Aug. 18, 2006

thanks to a TITANTIC LEAD OFF HOME RUN by THE AFRICAN QUEEN's main love, Alfonso Soriano, on the 3rd pitch of the game off Brett Myers. The 451 foot shot, travelled to deep centerfield and landed in Ashburn Alley and the Phillies Hall of Fame.
                  I watched both of those games when it happened. I think Utley's home run traveled about 465 feet according to the broadcasters.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                    Who hit the longest home run in the history of Safeco Field?
                    Bonds lined one about a dozen rows into the right-field bleachers. Estimated an 462', the longest at Safeco Field in 2006.

At Safeco Field, Glenalen Hill hit a batting practice pitch to the Royal Brougham, being the only player to do so.
                    It is 462' to the median line of Royal Brougham road down the foul line
                    Last edited by elmer; 05-13-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• sorry but i read on mlb.com that a red sox hit a home run miles out of the ground. i don't know where though

Comment

• Howard broke his own record set by hitting a home run to dead center field which measured at 505 feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Red Sox View Post
                          sorry but i read on mlb.com that a red sox hit a home run miles out of the ground. i don't know where though
                          yes this sounds about right. only a few players have ever hit a ball 550, but someone hit it miles.
                          http://peterton.myminicity.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Great One View Post
                            Howard broke his own record set by hitting a home run to dead center field which measured at 505 feet.
                            better check this one with Greg at hit tracker,
                            there was no wind behind it and the bat speed was no more than any other recent long hit. A home town statistician hyped homer.

This kind of thing casts a shadow on legit 500 footers.

If you study the ball flight it didn't fly all that far behind the wall.

see homers for 6/27
                            http://www.hittrackeronline.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by elmer View Post
                              better check this one with Greg at hit tracker,
                              there was no wind behind it and the bat speed was no more than any other recent long hit. A home town statistician hyped homer.

This kind of thing casts a shadow on legit 500 footers.

If you study the ball flight it didn't fly all that far behind the wall.

see homers for 6/27
                              http://www.hittrackeronline.com/
                              So if this Greg is doubting the legitimacy of this, then tell everyone within the media and in baseball. Video is also on the phillies website if you think it is a home town statistician hyped homer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_reca...=.jsp&c_id=phi

Comment

• Originally posted by Great One View Post
                                So if this Greg is doubting the legitimacy of this, then tell everyone within the media and in baseball. Video is also on the phillies website if you think it is a home town statistician hyped homer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_reca...=.jsp&c_id=phi
                                I don't think it is overhyped - I know it is.

If you are willing to be convinced, first read this article -

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...s/8219942.html

The most important part is in the first paragraph:

OVER THE FENCE in dead centerfield. Over the shrubbery and the ivy. All the way over the brick batter's eye - all 31 feet, 6 inches of it - and then into Ashburn Alley on one hop.

"On one hop"... Very important: the ball didn't even land in Ashburn's Alley, it bounced over the wall behind the batter's eye in order to reach the Alley.

Next, take a look at this Citizens Bank Park photo from digitalballparks.com - note the green and white "482" marker on the back wall of Ashburn's Alley. The 482 marker is accurate.

Here's a good side view of Ashburn's Alley: Citizens Bank Park photo

That spot is also marked on this Google Earth overhead diagram, which is marked with the landing spot of the ball and the 482 marker. You can see the impact point was about 439 feet from home plate.

The ball would have covered several more feet if it has been allowed to return all the way back down to field level; Hit Tracker figured that to add up to 455 feet overall.

If you can come up with a plausible explanation for how a ball that impacts 43 feet short of a 482 foot marker can be "estimated" at 505 feet, I am all ears. But I think the only explanation is "hype"...

Edit: typo, originally typed 437 feet instead of 439 feet
                                Last edited by gator92; 06-29-2007, 11:02 PM.
                                ESPN Home Run Tracker
                                Home run distances for every home run hit in MLB

http://www.hittrackeronline.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X