Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    A long one at Fenway. According to the N.Y.Times this one landed about 6 rows from the back of the bleachers. Anything near the back of the bleachers at Fenway, 6 or 16 rows from the back wall is a long way.

Home run number 16, May 25, 1926 7th inning, Babe Ruth.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by elmer
    Mickey Mantle. His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
    in Detroit may have gone at the point indicated by the employee and
    was indeed a colossal home run of epic proportion
    . At minimum,
    it went a distance of about 520' and possibly as much as 543-550'. landing either
    in the road and bouncing through a small driveway opening, (which would have directed
    the ball in to a spot it did not end up), or landing on a building on the far side of Trumbull then into the yard.
    According to witnesses it passed through the right side of the light tower
    at the end of the Right Field roof at a height of 125-130 above the ground.
    just below the lights themselves.
    Here is an overhead shot of that Mantle shot. Detroit Sept 10,1960
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by elmer
    Mickey was sent to the minors after a prolonged slump
    in '51. Just before his return he hit a long homer at
    Swayne Field in Toledo against the Mud Hens. It soared
    "200 feet" high over a light tower in right, over Detroit Avenue and
    over a gas station, the back of which was 475' from home plate,
    landing well out into a field behind the gas station. This could
    be his longest ever,

He hit one at Pittsburgh in the '60 series that measured 478'
    to where it bounced off the top of a tree caroming to the ground outside
    Right Center field beyond the 436' mark. This was a true 500 foot
    job measured only to the tree.
    In the same series at Pittsburgn Mickey also hit a "screamer" of
    a line drive that he says was hit harder. It landed in the RF bleachers
    well up and well back.

His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
    in Detroit may have gone at the point indicated by the employee and
    was indeed a colossal home run of epic proportion. At minimum,
    it went a distance of about 520' and possibly as much as 543-550'. landing either
    in the road and bouncing through a small driveway opening, (which would have directed
    the ball in to a spot it did not end up), or landing on a building on the far side of Trumbull then into the yard.
    According to witnesses it passed through the right side of the light tower
    at the end of the Right Field roof at a height of 125-130 above the ground.
    just below the lights themselves.

I never left the room when Mantle or Harmon Killebrew was at the plate and Frank Howard who came a bit later. You always had the feeling you were going to see a long one, something worth watching. They gave us a lot of thrills, nothing in sports like a tape measure shots. Over in a few seconds but talked of and remembered years later.

I saw Mick and Harmon hit some long ones. Harmon if I recall hit them long but Mantles were higher and just as far. Both impressive but those long high ones I like the best.

Howard hit the fastest in time I ever saw. At first leaving the bat looked like an infielder my have leaped and maybe caught it. It seemed to be about 20 feet off the ground, looked that way, cleared the fence around left center field but closer to left.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• elmer
    replied
    Mantle's longest by park

Mickey was sent to the minors after a prolonged slump
    in '51. Just before his return he hit a long homer at
    Swayne Field in Toledo against the Mud Hens. It soared
    "200 feet" high over a light tower in right, over Detroit Avenue and
    over a gas station, the back of which was 475' from home plate,
    landing well out into a field behind the gas station. This could
    be his longest ever.
    He hit one at Pittsburgh in the '60 series that measured 478'
    to where it bounced off the top of a tree caroming to the ground outside
    Right Center field beyond the 436' mark. This was a true 500 foot
    home run but measured only to the tree or point on the ground the ball hit.
    In the same series at Pittsburgn Mickey also hit a "screamer" of
    a line drive that he says was hit harder. It landed in the RF bleachers
    well up and well back.
    In a '53 Exhibition game he hit one over the Right Field roof - est. 510-515 feet.
    In the spring of '56 Mickey hits a batting practice shot, farther than anyone has ever
    seen even Mickey hit one, at Al Lang Field over center field fence landing near
    a fountain in a park 567' from home plate.
    In '61 at Holman Stadium he amazes the Dodgers with a 500 footer over
    the bank and trees beyond Right Center.
    In '61 at West Point's Doubleday Field, He hit a righty bomb over a road and 50 high Cullum Hall, at least 500' during BP
    His "documented" Sep. 10, 1960 home run in the Brooks Lumber Yard
    At Griffith Mickey hit a ball that landed on the Front of the 2014 5th street apt. house. This one is measured
    at 531 feet. On two separate occasions Mickey hit nearly identically hit homers high over the scoreboard an alley, backyard and houses to U street measuring about the same as the one to 2014 5th street.
    At Fenway in Sept. of '56 his high line drive 10" from the top of the wall just to the right of center would have traveled an estimated 480 feet. Without the obstructing wall, 508' - 515'.
    Mickey's 2nd longest at Comiskey went into the access ramps above the CF bleachers a homer of about 480' unimpeded.
    In '61 Mickey hit two batting practice homers there that would have traveled between 530 and 540 feet. hitting the top of
    the center field scoreboard 480' feet from home and the other over the RC field light tower that is 65' above the 75 foot high roof.
    On June 26, 1958 during batting practice Mickey hit 3 balls over the 52' deep roof from right to right center, a feat previously accomplished only by Babe Ruth in a regular season game. In 1961 during another BP session he hit 6 over the same roof.
    Shibe Park a home run, in July of '53, landed on a row house across the street from deep LC. unimpeded, this ball would travel
    525'.
    In Kansas City his '61 blast off the top of the scoreboard in RC is estimated at 500' but more likely would have traveled
    about 515'. He also hit two that landed 35' above the playing field on Brooklyn Ave. that only a handful of others equaled.
    A batting practice shot went across Brooklyn Ave. in right, landing on a porch roof. Est. 523'.
    He hit a right handed rocket that struck the light tower in LF at Fenway 35' above the wall that was a potential 500 footer.
    In a homer hitting contest at the Polo Grounds Mickey loses to Willie Mays, but his only homer in 6 swings was hit right-handed
    over the left field roof.
    Last edited by elmer; 12-13-2013, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Can anybody here find out how far Schmidt's Home run in 1974 at the astrodome would of went? It hit a speaker 117' above the field! I can't find a video of it, but I'm still looking...
    Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• elmer
    replied
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by elmer; 06-03-2008, 04:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    ^^ well, the seat is easier to spot from below than the dish from above. heh-heh.

"that's you, man!," yelled while blocking the dude to the right.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    has anyone ever gone up to the exact location of where one of these longest homers landed and be amazed at the distance to home plate?
    to see home plate from upper deck candlestick you need binocs.
    I'm surprised an eagle-eyed guy who can call the exact seat where a foul ball will land needs binocs

Leave a comment:

replied
    has anyone ever gone up to the exact location of where one of these longest homers landed and be amazed at the distance to home plate?
    to see home plate from upper deck candlestick you need binocs.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
    i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game!
    Yes I was Tony!

The thing about McCovey was not only that he crushed the ball, with that long swing of his he looked like was going to hit it to the moon, not just out of the park!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied

A diagram of Frank Robinson's moonshot at Memorial Stadium, the only home run to ever clear the bleachers at that park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...dium_here1.JPG
    Last edited by PeteU; 02-08-2007, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BigStellyPADRES4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    As long as it's talking about where the ball actually came down, not where they estimate it would have if nothing was in the way. You have varying wind, varying amount of force from the bat and varying angles the ball could have come in at.
    Very true, if anyone would like here, (I studied to be an aerospace engineer for a while(until i changed to electrical) and did alot of experiments/studying on projectiles) i could give ideas of how hard a ball would have to be hit off a bat to travel distances of 500+ feet.

Leave a comment:

• Mad Guru
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I'd appreciate it if you have the date for it
    August 10, 2004. Can watch it on my blog at dunnreal.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Mad Guru; 02-08-2007, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    rmb: Candlestick 9/16/66 500' McCovey

i saw stretch's upper deck shot.
    i do believe that giantsland co-mod ken also was there that game!

Leave a comment:

replied
    traetzloff: the guy who goes to a frozen lake in Canada and hits the golf ball 3 miles

jim rice once hit one for miles, but i do not recall the distance.
    he was flown up north by a golfball manufacturer to do the promotion stunt.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X