No announcement yet.

Ballpark Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whell you cant forget the "Ladys and Gentleman,Boys and Girls, Welcome to Fenway park" thing. And i dunno if i would call the throwing back the homeruns a tradition, cause if i caught a yankee homerun i would do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo
      Do they still sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in lieu of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th Inning stretch?
      yeah - they stopped that for awhile in baltimore but its back

Comment

A couple of traditions that I can think of...
        In Baltimore, the fans shout "O" at the appropriate time during the National Anthem.
        The Brewers of course have the weiner race
        Atlanta of course use to have Chief Noc-A-Homa; now they have the Coke-Cola Bottle lighting the sky up with fireworks after each homer.
        In St. Pete, after every Devil Rays' win (which isn't a lot) they will illuminate the dome orange, signifying a win to the Bay Area
        Dodger Stadium has what I call the "photo lights" in the out field that go off every time a dodger hits a HR.
        San Fran has the Fog horn after each HR
        A new tradition evolving in DC; the Fans jumping up and down, just like the old Redskins' Fans use to do in RFK

Comment

Originally posted by AndyS
          Steve Dahl was indeed the DJ responsible for the damage to Comiskey Park on Disco demolition night. Was this the last major league game to be forfeited?
          The last game to be forfieted was about 10 years ago when the Dodgers had to forfiet a game againbst St.Louis after fans threw the free baseballs onto the field during the game.

I'll look this up for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytown_Tribe_fan
            John Adams. Every time the Tribe needs a rally (which is about every game) -- he's up there 'BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM' on his drum.

The Jake might be the only park in baseball with Advil vendors in the stands, although savvy long-time fans bring ear plugs and a thermos full of "Jack 'n' 'Zac", a home-brewed concoction of Jack Daniels and Prozac.

Old Municipal Stadium had the disctinction of being the most hated park for visiting ballplayers. A layer of green slime covered nearly every surface -- cold, damp slime. Players would occasionally slip and injure themselves, giving the Tribe a slight home-field advantage in those days.
            I remember hoping in 1994 that three particular individuals would not make the trip from Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs Field. One of them was John Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
              I remember hoping in 1994 that three particular individuals would not make the trip from Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs Field. One of them was John Adams.
              Uh oh, was I one of the other two?
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Uh oh, was I one of the other two?
                Well.....

Actually, they were Herb Score and Mike Hargrove.

Comment

The Tomahawk chop really sticks out in my mind for the Braves.

I can't really think of any good Tiger traditions, although I do remember the beach balls in the upper deck bleachers.
                  I like cranberry sauce.

"The Babe was a great ballplayer, sure, but Ty Cobb was even greater. Babe could knock your brains out, but Cobb would drive you crazy." - Tris Speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wicker
                    The Tomahawk chop really sticks out in my mind for the Braves.

I can't really think of any good Tiger traditions, although I do remember the beach balls in the upper deck bleachers.
                    For the longest time, they played John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" between innings, despite the fact Detroit was home to Motown Records, the Grande Ballroom, and is very much urban. The playing of the song was dropped when it was discovered John Denver was, in fact, an Oriole fan.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                      Well.....

Actually, they were Herb Score and Mike Hargrove.
                      Thanks for keeping me at number 4
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

F_man8326: San Francisco has the Fog horn after each HR

yep. the fog horn was used at candlestick park and it moved along with the team to the new digs.

also, a cable car bell is struck to sound the number of runs that the giants score in their half-inning.

new stuff at pac bell since the park opened:
                        water fountains in right field shoot off for giants home runs
                        use of a counter for giant player splash home runs
                        after sunday day games kids get to run the bases

fans throw hr balls hit by the visiting team back to the playing field. that oughtta take place only at wrigley.
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by BlessYouBoys84
                          Back in the 1980's at Tiger Stadium, the bleachers were known for their rowdy, yet loyal fans. At one time, they organized a parody of the Miller Lite ad "Less Filling, Tastes Great!" I'm probably not allowed to say it here so I'll paraphrase: One half of the bleachers would shout "F--- You!" and then the other half would shout "Eat S---!" I suppose this is why Mr. Campbell ordered the bleachers closed for nearly an entire season! Also, us bleacher creatures had a habit of jingling our car keys collectively when the opposition was at bat. Imagine the sound of thousands of keys! And it was also the bleacher crowd who would invariably start the wave around the stadium. One unique feature that I miss about Tiger Stadium is the double-decked stands. I recall watching the wave go thru the crowd clockwise on one deck and counter-clockwise on the other! Such great memories of the bleachers...

I can tell by your screen name that you're a true friend!!! I spent many summer nights in the Tiger Stadium bleachers. Your post brought back many fond memories.
                          "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo
                            The organist at Three Rivers (and I assume that they took him to the new park whose name escapes me at the moment) had a different song for every player in the majors based on the player's name, nickname or something else about him. He would play the James Bond theme for Barry Bonds, the Dick Van Dyke Theme for Andy Van Slyke, music from the movie "El Cid" for Sid Bream, Strawberry Fields Forever for Darryl Strawberry, etc. He said one time that the only player he could never come up with a song for was Dickie Thon. He said it drove him nuts, but he couldn't think of one appropriate for him.
                            Ahh the good old days. Vince Lascheid was the organist. He's still the organist at PNC Park, but the days of introducing players with his organ have gone by the wayside as nothing happens when an opponent comes to bat, and some pop tune (I would assume of the players choosing) plays as a Pirate steps up to the plate. The only real "tradition" of PNC Park is the pierogie race before the top of the 6th inning, and the bouncing "Eat N'Park Smiley Cookie" that bounces on the jumbotron during the 7th inning stretch (played by Lascheid) Everything else is kinda corporate as when a Pirate hits a homer, a big Pepsi bottle in Right Field spurts out steam, fireworks go off and it's annouced like "The (Car dealership) Bucco Blast, his (number) of the season, hit by (Player name and number)" It is disturbing IMO that some Pirate fans are trying to steal the ridiculous Cub gimmick of throwing back opposing HR balls. I think the baseball gods have punished the Cub fans because they do this. A home run ball during a game is special no matter who hits it, and I think we should leave that "tradition" to the Cub fans. Lord knows the Pirate pitchers have given up more than their share over the years.
                            LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

Even though Anheuser-Busch doesn't own the Cards anymore, the crowd still sings the AB song "Here Comes The King" during the 7th inning stretch..

Ernie Hays has been the organist at Busch II and hopefully at III for over 30 years..

Comment

Along the same line, perhaps the most notable and memorable Dodger home game tradition is the organ music. From Gladys Gooding in Ebbets Field to Dodger Stadium and Bob Mitchell in the 60s, Helen Dell in the 70s and 80s and Nancy Bea Hefley since 1988. Even though the insipid Pop and Hip-Hop have invaded Chavez Ravine in recent years, you can still hear Nancy Bea on her Roland organ playing before, throughout and after the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X