X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory Faust
    replied
    Originally posted by BlessYouBoys84
    Back in the 1980's at Tiger Stadium, the bleachers were known for their rowdy, yet loyal fans. At one time, they organized a parody of the Miller Lite ad "Less Filling, Tastes Great!" I'm probably not allowed to say it here so I'll paraphrase: One half of the bleachers would shout "F--- You!" and then the other half would shout "Eat S---!" I suppose this is why Mr. Campbell ordered the bleachers closed for nearly an entire season! Also, us bleacher creatures had a habit of jingling our car keys collectively when the opposition was at bat. Imagine the sound of thousands of keys! And it was also the bleacher crowd who would invariably start the wave around the stadium. One unique feature that I miss about Tiger Stadium is the double-decked stands. I recall watching the wave go thru the crowd clockwise on one deck and counter-clockwise on the other! Such great memories of the bleachers...

I can tell by your screen name that you're a true friend!!! I spent many summer nights in the Tiger Stadium bleachers. Your post brought back many fond memories.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    F_man8326: San Francisco has the Fog horn after each HR

yep. the fog horn was used at candlestick park and it moved along with the team to the new digs.

also, a cable car bell is struck to sound the number of runs that the giants score in their half-inning.

new stuff at pac bell since the park opened:
    water fountains in right field shoot off for giants home runs
    use of a counter for giant player splash home runs
    after sunday day games kids get to run the bases

fans throw hr balls hit by the visiting team back to the playing field. that oughtta take place only at wrigley.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by wamby
    Well.....

Actually, they were Herb Score and Mike Hargrove.
    Thanks for keeping me at number 4

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Twisted Wicker
    The Tomahawk chop really sticks out in my mind for the Braves.

I can't really think of any good Tiger traditions, although I do remember the beach balls in the upper deck bleachers.
    For the longest time, they played John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" between innings, despite the fact Detroit was home to Motown Records, the Grande Ballroom, and is very much urban. The playing of the song was dropped when it was discovered John Denver was, in fact, an Oriole fan.

Leave a comment:

• Twisted Wicker
    replied
    The Tomahawk chop really sticks out in my mind for the Braves.

I can't really think of any good Tiger traditions, although I do remember the beach balls in the upper deck bleachers.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    Uh oh, was I one of the other two?
    Well.....

Actually, they were Herb Score and Mike Hargrove.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by wamby
    I remember hoping in 1994 that three particular individuals would not make the trip from Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs Field. One of them was John Adams.
    Uh oh, was I one of the other two?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Ytown_Tribe_fan
    John Adams. Every time the Tribe needs a rally (which is about every game) -- he's up there 'BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM' on his drum.

The Jake might be the only park in baseball with Advil vendors in the stands, although savvy long-time fans bring ear plugs and a thermos full of "Jack 'n' 'Zac", a home-brewed concoction of Jack Daniels and Prozac.

Old Municipal Stadium had the disctinction of being the most hated park for visiting ballplayers. A layer of green slime covered nearly every surface -- cold, damp slime. Players would occasionally slip and injure themselves, giving the Tribe a slight home-field advantage in those days.
    I remember hoping in 1994 that three particular individuals would not make the trip from Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs Field. One of them was John Adams.

Leave a comment:

• Chisox73
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyS
    Steve Dahl was indeed the DJ responsible for the damage to Comiskey Park on Disco demolition night. Was this the last major league game to be forfeited?
    The last game to be forfieted was about 10 years ago when the Dodgers had to forfiet a game againbst St.Louis after fans threw the free baseballs onto the field during the game.

I'll look this up for more info.

Leave a comment:

• F_man8326
    replied
    A couple of traditions that I can think of...
    In Baltimore, the fans shout "O" at the appropriate time during the National Anthem.
    The Brewers of course have the weiner race
    Atlanta of course use to have Chief Noc-A-Homa; now they have the Coke-Cola Bottle lighting the sky up with fireworks after each homer.
    In St. Pete, after every Devil Rays' win (which isn't a lot) they will illuminate the dome orange, signifying a win to the Bay Area
    Dodger Stadium has what I call the "photo lights" in the out field that go off every time a dodger hits a HR.
    San Fran has the Fog horn after each HR
    A new tradition evolving in DC; the Fans jumping up and down, just like the old Redskins' Fans use to do in RFK

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Originally posted by Kroxquo
    Do they still sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in lieu of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th Inning stretch?
    yeah - they stopped that for awhile in baltimore but its back

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Whell you cant forget the "Ladys and Gentleman,Boys and Girls, Welcome to Fenway park" thing. And i dunno if i would call the throwing back the homeruns a tradition, cause if i caught a yankee homerun i would do it too.

Leave a comment:

• Chisox73
    replied
    RE: Stadium Traditions

Bernie Brewer has a new set up way up in left field.He has a bigger slide

Leave a comment:

• Ytown_Tribe_fan
    replied

John Adams. Every time the Tribe needs a rally (which is about every game) -- he's up there 'BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM' on his drum.

The Jake might be the only park in baseball with Advil vendors in the stands, although savvy long-time fans bring ear plugs and a thermos full of "Jack 'n' 'Zac", a home-brewed concoction of Jack Daniels and Prozac.

Old Municipal Stadium had the disctinction of being the most hated park for visiting ballplayers. A layer of green slime covered nearly every surface -- cold, damp slime. Players would occasionally slip and injure themselves, giving the Tribe a slight home-field advantage in those days.

Leave a comment:

• bly11
    replied

Bernie Brewer. Didn't they move him & the beer mug over to Miller Park?

bly11 - Oakland A's conference moderator

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X