Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballpark Traditions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by BeatEmBucs
    Ahh the good old days. Vince Lascheid was the organist. He's still the organist at PNC Park, but the days of introducing players with his organ have gone by the wayside as nothing happens when an opponent comes to bat, and some pop tune (I would assume of the players choosing) plays as a Pirate steps up to the plate. The only real "tradition" of PNC Park is the pierogie race before the top of the 6th inning, and the bouncing "Eat N'Park Smiley Cookie" that bounces on the jumbotron during the 7th inning stretch (played by Lascheid) Everything else is kinda corporate as when a Pirate hits a homer, a big Pepsi bottle in Right Field spurts out steam, fireworks go off and it's annouced like "The (Car dealership) Bucco Blast, his (number) of the season, hit by (Player name and number)" It is disturbing IMO that some Pirate fans are trying to steal the ridiculous Cub gimmick of throwing back opposing HR balls. I think the baseball gods have punished the Cub fans because they do this. A home run ball during a game is special no matter who hits it, and I think we should leave that "tradition" to the Cub fans. Lord knows the Pirate pitchers have given up more than their share over the years.
    I have to admit i might be stealing cubs fans traditions if i throw back a A-rod homerun, but not the first time the soxs stole something from the cubs (hint hint 1918) If i hit him with it u think they throw me out?

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by olddumbguy
      In Anaheim, we have the "Wave" and beachballs. Also, fans are notorious for showing up late and leaving early. Not me, of course, I like to open the place and close the place. Problem is, they dont open the park until an hour before the game. Are there any parks that open earlyer so you can watch the home team take BP?
      The leaving early and arriving late is more of a tradition at that other So Cal ballpark located in Chavez Ravine. Remember seeing clips of Gibson's homer and seeing the brakelights? I don't think people were leaving the stadium during the 2002 Series.

      I remember Fred Lynn was "surprised" by Morganna when she planted a big kiss on him. his quote was, "I heard the commotion in the stands and figured it was the wave or beachballs, I soon found out it was beachballs."

      Not my pic, just found on google.
      Attached Files
      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by olddumbguy
        In Anaheim, we have the "Wave" and beachballs. Also, fans are notorious for showing up late and leaving early. Not me, of course, I like to open the place and close the place. Problem is, they dont open the park until an hour before the game. Are there any parks that open earlyer so you can watch the home team take BP?
        Dodger Stadium opens 2 hours before the game and lets anyone sit in the Pavilion or Field level to try and catch balls.

        And Steve, I don't know where those cars were coming from, but anyone at or watching the tape of that game knows there weren't any empty seats at the end of that game. Those were probably a couple of A's fans who thought the game was in the bag.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Elvis9045
          Dodger Stadium opens 2 hours before the game and lets anyone sit in the Pavilion or Field level to try and catch balls.
          One that I'll be taking advantage of this summer
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Elvis9045
            Dodger Stadium opens 2 hours before the game and lets anyone sit in the Pavilion or Field level to try and catch balls.

            And Steve, I don't know where those cars were coming from, but anyone at or watching the tape of that game knows there weren't any empty seats at the end of that game. Those were probably a couple of A's fans who thought the game was in the bag.
            Actually, I was teaching a class and one of the kids (in HS) said he was at the game with his girlfiriend's family, so her dad, mom and GF were in this group of four, the guys were out voted 2-2 to leave.

            That was one set of Dodger fans that left early. And take a look at the video, you WILL see cars in the parking lot leaving.
            http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Bluesteve32

              That was one set of Dodger fans that left early. And take a look at the video, you WILL see cars in the parking lot leaving.
              So if 50 out of 56,000 people left early, what's your point?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                Actually, I was teaching a class and one of the kids (in HS) said he was at the game with his girlfiriend's family, so her dad, mom and GF were in this group of four, the guys were out voted 2-2 to leave.

                That was one set of Dodger fans that left early. And take a look at the video, you WILL see cars in the parking lot leaving.
                I'd lose countless hours of sleep if I missed a monumental event like that.

                On the other hand, maybe the best place to be was infront of your TV:
                Courtesy of WikiPedia
                and look who's coming up," [Vin] Scully said. After two strikes, Gibson hit a ball on the ground, limped about 50 feet toward first base before the ball bounced foul, "...and it had to be an effort to run that far." Finally, on a 3-balls, 2-strikes pitch to Gibson from relief pitcher Dennis Eckersley, Scully was as stunned as anyone when he nearly screamed, "High fly ball into right field, she i-i-i-is... gone!!!" Holding to his long-standing belief that the noise of the fans best tells the story, Scully did not speak for 67 seconds before announcing, incredulously, "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!"
                Just Classic. Absolutely Classic.
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • #53
                  Mets "Sign Man" (from Post #24)

                  Originally posted by mjrbaseball
                  Does anyone remember the "Sign Man" at Shea Stadium in the late '60s and early '70s? He wore a white hat, and always had an assortment of professionally-printed large signs he would hold up for every occasion. (I used to know his name, but I've forgotten it.)
                  The man's name was Karl Earhardt, who sat in the season boxes along the 3rd base field level. According to one of the Met history books, he was a professional sign maker who hand cut the letters to all of his signs. He had so many made that he had a tab index so he could keep track of them. It became a kind of proceedure for him to select what ensemble of slogans would accompany him before each and every game. He would always have a knack for "signing" just the right message at any given moment.

                  (Picture included is from 1970 NY Mets Yearbook)

                  Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by brooklyndodger14
                    The man's name was Karl Earhardt, who sat in the season boxes along the 3rd base field level. According to one of the Met history books, he was a professional sign maker who hand cut the letters to all of his signs. He had so many made that he had a tab index so he could keep track of them. It became a kind of proceedure for him to select what ensemble of slogans would accompany him before each and every game. He would always have a knack for "signing" just the right message at any given moment.

                    (Picture included is from 1970 NY Mets Yearbook)

                    Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14
                    I remember just a few years ago seeing him at Shea. It was during a Dodgers broadcast and Vin was commenting on him from time to time as they showed him on camera. The signs looked the same by the way.

                    Is he still doing it?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Elvis9045
                      So if 50 out of 56,000 people left early, what's your point?
                      Why anyone would leave a WS game with the situation still in doubt, is beyond me. Yet those knuckleheads did leave a classic moment in one of the most memorable plays in the game's history, to beat the traffic??????

                      Come on Elvis, that DOES give us So Cal fans a bad reputation and both the Dodgers and Angels do get some of those come in the third ining and leave in the eighth inning "fans" who come to the ballgame just to be seen and to brag that they have tickets.
                      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                        Why anyone would leave a WS game with the situation still in doubt, is beyond me. Yet those knuckleheads did leave a classic moment in one of the most memorable plays in the game's history, to beat the traffic??????

                        Come on Elvis, that DOES give us So Cal fans a bad reputation and both the Dodgers and Angels do get some of those come in the third ining and leave in the eighth inning "fans" who come to the ballgame just to be seen and to brag that they have tickets.
                        I'm sure a handfull of Angels fans left early in the World Series too. But of course you can't see the Anaheim parking lot on TV like you can in Los Angeles.

                        As for whatever reputation we have as fans in the SoCal area among other communities doesn't consern me, nor should you. We should worry about we think of ourselves. What others think of us is their worry.

                        The fact remains, in '88 and '02, both SoCal venues were packed right to the end of every game. That's what counts - not a few melvins who left early.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          As a midwesterner who was raised in san bernardino, i'd have to say that the baseball experience coast to coast has been pretty much the same for me. if you're a baseball mad kid and your folks know that every minute spent at the park is a memory you will treasure, they'll stay until the last out of a 10-2 ballgame. if you're with people who don't know if the padres play in the nl west or pcl, you'll be pressured to leave early. they're unaware of the cardinal rule that once you start a scorecard, you finish it. i saw my first games at dodger stadium and the big 'a' , and averaged about 10-15 games a year at tiger stadium during the 80s. i've been to a lot of parks, and as anybody who has also, you'll notice the number of people there for an 'outing' and the number there for the game. i don't understand how anybody would leave a world series game, but maybe an nba fan couldn't understand how i'd rather give my cat a bath than pay for any nba game, playoffs, finals included. when you have west coast stadiums built as islands in a sea of cars, getting out of the parking lot can take a lot longer than you want to take. inner city stadiums have cars parked in little side lots with easier access. many people walk. if you're downtown in cincinnati it is/was a short walk. you'd never walk to candlestick park. it's apples and oranges. fans who leave early are fans who leave early. i've been around apple-cheeked families in tiger stadium who would leave with a two run margin at the top of the eighth and guys who've been 'escorted' out of jack murphy stadium in extra innings. i've been the quiet guy with the scorecard and the loud guy with one beer too many (and the scorecard, always the scorecard) and i want to be the guy who calls the new york-boston phalanx of 'die-hard fans' out for what they are. just baseball fans who take the spotlight because the teams are winning. like mid 90s indians fans. go team.
                          smoker

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            In Toronto we used to have the fireworks go off whenever the Jays hit a home run, when the Jays took the field and when the Jays won a game (which was alot in those days). We also have the theme song "OK Blue Jays," which gets sung during the 7th Inning Stretch.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Do most other stadiums shoot off fireworks right after the National Anthem, or is that a Jacobs Field thing?
                              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Chisox73
                                The last game to be forfieted was about 10 years ago when the Dodgers had to forfiet a game againbst St.Louis after fans threw the free baseballs onto the field during the game.

                                I'll look this up for more info.
                                Are you absolutely, completely positive? I seem to remember something about roof tiles falling at the SkyDome... might have to look that up.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X