No announcement yet.

Ballpark Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember hearing about the 10,000th homer at Fenway being hit by a Sox player, then the 10,001st was thrown back... the announcer said something like "Well, I guess 10,001 isn't as important as 10,000." It was interesting because both homers came within an inning of each other... and if the opposing pitcher had been a little bit better, then the 10,000th homer at Fenway would have been thrown back, which would have been kind of sad.

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
      Are you absolutely, completely positive? I seem to remember something about roof tiles falling at the SkyDome... might have to look that up.
      August 10, 1995
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
        Are you absolutely, completely positive? I seem to remember something about roof tiles falling at the SkyDome... might have to look that up.
        Are you sure you are not mistaking Sky Dome for King Dome? King Dome had tiles fall from the dome and forced the team to play away for part of that season while repairs were made, including games against the Red Sox(famous mad dash at Fenway for good seats!)
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          August 10, 1995
          There was also a similar incident a few years ago that caused a game at Skydome to be postponed.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis View Post
            I remember just a few years ago seeing him at Shea. It was during a Dodgers broadcast and Vin was commenting on him from time to time as they showed him on camera. The signs looked the same by the way.

Is he still doing it?
            He stopped coming after the new ownership took away his comp tickets. That was sometime in the early 1980s.

That game you are referring to was just a one game special during the Mets' 40th Anniversary celebration in 2002. He returned for the first time since he stopped coming regularly, and he would never return again.

He died over this past winter.
            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SouthsideTom View Post
              At Comiskey Park, in another of the corporate "tie-ins", has a mini-UPS truck that delivers the baseballs to the umpires at the beginning of each game.

It brought back some other memories of the olde Park. There used to be a small sack of bseballs on an "elevator" that was located behind and to the side of home plate. If umpires needed new baseballs, they would signal someone, and the sack of baseballs would rise out of the ground, and the umpire could get what he needed.

Olde Comiskey Park used to have a barber's chair for haircuts during the game, and a shower. The New Comiskey has recently added showers for fans on hot days.
              The shower in the center field bleachers at old Comiskey and now at U.S. Cellular is great on a hot day.
              Not to mention the wet t-shirt bonus!
              Last edited by Philtration; 06-23-2008, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Opening Day in Cincinnati is unparalleled in any other city. The Findlay Market Opening Day Parade (held every year since 1920) is amazing. The parade is broadcast live on TV and on the web to anybody who isn't skipping work or school to line the streets downtown.

Cincinnati has of course the Great Mr. Red's Race. Began back in the 70's with the move to Riverfront.

The greatest winning call in all of sports with Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman's "And this one belongs to the Reds" at the end of each game.

And of course, the greatest sign off in history' the late Joe Nuxhall "This is the ol' lefthander, rounding third and heading for home".

Comment

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                  The man's name was Karl Earhardt, who sat in the season boxes along the 3rd base field level. According to one of the Met history books, he was a professional sign maker who hand cut the letters to all of his signs. He had so many made that he had a tab index so he could keep track of them. It became a kind of proceedure for him to select what ensemble of slogans would accompany him before each and every game. He would always have a knack for "signing" just the right message at any given moment.

(Picture included is from 1970 NY Mets Yearbook)

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14
                  RIP Karl....

Comment

karl erhardt...

a n.y. times profile on the shea "sign guy"...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/sp...l/18cheer.html
                    the turd in the punchbowl
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

Traditions

Since either 1987 or 1990, the Mariners have played 'Louie Louie' by the Kingsmen following the singing of 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame' during the 7th inning stretch. There's been a movement to make 'Louie Louie' Washington's state song.
                      The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Nice long-lost-thread-find, Phantom. It was overlooked when the Quick Search was being made and organized. It's been added to the list.

Just goes to show how much stronger the site's search engine has become over the past two years. It was virtually useless in 1/11. But in 1/13, it's become pretty handy. We can thank our great webmaster for that.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

My favorite ballpark traditions:

And of course this:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X