X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale of Two Busch Stadiums

I thought this was a nice picture.

And here is a goodbye to Busch

So long Busch Stadium, I will always miss you.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Didn't think they would be able to take it down that fast.

Comment

Wow I didnt know you could see the arch from the stadium
      Born True Blue

Comment

Check this out

Comment

Great site
          Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by jrh31584
            An exception to the rule around here, most road construction projects usually come in at LEAST a year behind schedule.
            It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

I wonder how they will be in time for the start of the 2006 season? To me it seems like they have a LOT to do until they can finish the construction.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                I wonder how they will be in time for the start of the 2006 season? To me it seems like they have a LOT to do until they can finish the construction.
                I'm guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium utilized alot of prefabricated sections to cut down on costs and time. Looks like things will be mostly done in the next month or two with the grass going down in about February.
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

busch stadium

Originally posted by jrh31584
                  You are right i cant believe that the stadium is almost gone in such a short time, but they have been working around the clock with the demolishion.i guess this makes up for seeing sportsman park torn down in 1966. another cookie cutter bites the dust.
                  LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                    12/07/2005

Fireworks celebrate the demolition of Busch Stadium.
                    (Laurie Skrivan/P-D)

ST. LOUIS

At about 12:24 a.m. today, the last remaining section of Busch Stadium came tumbling down to the cheers and honks from a crowd of onlookers. The occasion was marked by a hail of fireworks set off from the middle of the construction site.

By the time the last piece came down, many of the people who braved the cold temperatures to say goodbye had already left. But some families stayed until the very end.

"I've been going to games since I was months old," said Ryan Fall, 19, of Ellisville. "I just had to stay until the end."

A construction worker passed out pieces of concrete to Fall and a few others minutes after the last section came down.

"He's kind of like Santa Claus," Fall said of the construction worker.

By midnight, the crowd of onlookers had dwindled down to a few dozen parked cars. Several people got out of their cars to snap pictures as the wrecking ball brought down each arched section. By 12:20 a.m., just two of the famed arches remained.

Workers still have several weeks of clearing rubble and grading to make way for new the Busch Stadium, rising just to the south.

Earlier Wednesday night, the streets around the old stadium were lined with cars with engines idling to keep occupants warm while watching the demolition. Some braved the temperatures to take pictures - with cameras and camera phones.

All day, fans made pilgrimages to record final glimpses. And for about 20 minutes at lunchtime, a few even slipped through a temporary gap in the security fence along Walnut Street to grab pieces of broken concrete and twisted steel.

"What a great way to go Christmas shopping," said Mary Miller of St. Louis, as she walked away with pockets and arms filled with baseball-sized chunks of Busch concrete.

It was a free and unsanctioned version of "Fredbird's Garage Sale" - the pricey sale of stadium memorabilia held last month. One scavenger jumped from an idling pickup, hefted a bowling-ball-size chunk of concrete from the site, dropped it into the truck and drove away.

A few minutes before 1 p.m., an irritated laborer arrived to shoo the dozen or so souvenir-seekers from the site.

Doug Inman of Florissant got away just in time with a 4-foot section of thick reinforcing rod slung across his right shoulder.

"I dropped by to take pictures - and got a bonus," he said.

The demolition began Nov. 7 and was six weeks ahead of schedule by Wednesday night. The last section standing was from the northern curve of old Busch.

Roger Kent, work site chief for Ahrens Contracting Inc., said the around-the-clock operation brought down the structure faster than expected.

"It was a combination of putting extra equipment on the job and having good people doing it," Kent said.

Officially, Ahrens has until June 28 to complete demolition, clearing and grading. The first order of business was to make way for the new stadium and an extension of Clark Avenue.

The new stadium is supposed to be ready by April 10, when the Cardinals host the Milwaukee Brewers in the home opener.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...2?OpenDocument
                    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

I'm torn about the new park. On one hand, the design itself is horrible, completely devoid of any interesting elements other than tired retreads of neoclassicism. But on the other hand, the cantilevering of the upper decks is extremely welcome considering how far upper decks have been pushed from the field recently.

I guess i'm not really sure why they bothered tearing down the old one. I mean, yeah it had been one of the ugly clones, but the latter-day transformation into a baseball-only park made it a comparatively beautiful place. The accessibility is the exact same, only in the new park there are less seats for the Cardinals' frequent post-season games.

I'm just not sold on new Busch being needed, when the Cardinals sell out virtually every game as it is. At least if they were pushing the boundaries of neoclassicism or attempting a different style it'd be one thing, but the design leaves much to be desired.
                      http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                        Wow I didnt know you could see the arch from the stadium
                        The stadium is only 3 blocks away from the Arch.It's really closer than it looks.

Comment

Pictures of Old Busch Stadium

No longer available.
                          Last edited by cards_252; 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

It seems to be a growing trend having the new rise right next to the old. In the case of Busch Stadium its replacement rose literally right next to it and eventually overtook the same space.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLillard1
                              It seems to be a growing trend having the new rise right next to the old. In the case of Busch Stadium its replacement rose literally right next to it and eventually overtook the same space.
                              I think it is easier to acquire land (sometimes the stadium will actually be built on city owned land as in the parking lot to the current stadium). Plus there is no issue of the stadium's neighbors complaining about increased noise and traffic in the area, as such conditions are already existing due to the current stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X