Borchert Field / Athletic Park - Milwaukee, WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borchert Field / Athletic Park - Milwaukee, WI

I have been looking online for a few days for the dimensions to old Borchert Field in Milwaukee and was wondering if anyone can help me out with them (particularly the power alleys, which look ridiculously far from home plate).

Thanks

Here is a picture of the field for those who haven't seen it.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Borchert Field's dimensions look awfully similar to that of the Polo Grounds. Maybe the distances to the foul poles are alittle bit deeper, though?...like 280-300 feet? I don't know to be honest. I've seen that picture before, but I would like to know more about that ballpark.
    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Little late, but I came across this photo, with dimensions listed. It was one of a pack created by the American Association and sent to radio stations for their coverage.

Doesn't help with the alleys, I'm afraid, but a good guide to the basic dimensions: 267 to left, 392 to center and 268 to right. So the corners must have been over 425 feet.
      Attached Files

Comment

Borchert Field

Here is a nice postcard of old Borchert Field.
        Attached Files
        LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Yeah, that's a nice one. I have that card in my collection. And at least we know what kind of beer they sold at the Orchard.

I'll see what else I have - maybe I can scan something from a program that would help with the interior dimensions.

Comment

Here are some great pics on digitalballparks.com. I've always loved this park. I remember reading about the Yanks playing an exhibition game, or two, here.

Crazy to think that this is the field where the Orioles began. The Brewers left Milwaukee in 1902, became the St Louis Browns and of course, eventually moved to Baltimore.

I just noticed that you can see they renovated it some, in the color pic. They moved the view-obstructing supporting beams back, along with the roof.

EDIT: Or it's just the paint job and sun angle that makes it look that way. Actually, I think it is. It's also kinda crazy that the light standards are inside foul territory, in front of the grandstands.
            Last edited by Pelt; 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Realizing that the initial question to the thread is quite old now, I recreated the field in sketchup anyway, with the dimensions given in the photo that six4three posted.

The measuring tool in sketchup has the corners out to 435' in each corner - with only a couple of inches difference between the two.

Comment

I need to correct myself. I had my parks mixed up. The eventual Baltimore Orioles played one year at the Lloyd Street Grounds before moving to St Louis.

Pic of Lloyd Street Grounds in Milwaukee (1901).

Comment

Great mockup - 435 feet sounds about right.

Love those pictures - thanks!

It was a very quirky park. Think you're also right about the "moving" supports being a trick of the light - I know that Veeck made many improvements during his time as owner, but don't know if anyone would spend the money for such a structural overhaul.

Comment

The color photo was likely taken after a June 15, 1944 windstorm tore 100+ feet off of the grandstand roof during a game against Columbus.......replacement for the old roof?

Comment

1943_OpeningDayTicket.jpg

1943scorecard01.jpg

From a great blog on Borchert Field and the AA Brewers. Over 300 posts! Chock full of great stuff ->>

http://www.borchertfield.com/

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                      https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Anybody know if this is where the Packers played their Milwaukee games before County Stadium? I'm reading a book right now that talks of Pack games in the city during the 1930s, but the venue is never mentioned. It doesn't look like this park would have worked for a football layout.

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                          Anybody know if this is where the Packers played their Milwaukee games before County Stadium? I'm reading a book right now that talks of Pack games in the city during the 1930s, but the venue is never mentioned. It doesn't look like this park would have worked for a football layout.
                          There are plenty of references online to the Packers playing at Borchert Field in 1933. Here's one that shows the layout of the field there, as well as other sites that hosted Packers games.

http://http://blog.heritagesportsart.com/2010/08/green-bay-packers-home-stadiums.html

Bochert Field 1933-34.png
                          Last edited by Chef Bill; 06-29-2016, 11:51 PM.
                          "Chef Bill"
                          Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                            I hope that the mods have settled down over this as these topics were at one time strictly forbidden as non-baseball issues. But the Packers played a lot at the infield of the Milwaukee Mile race track and used Marquette's stadium (They used to have football) for one season before County Stadium opened. Chef Bill's picture shows just how horribly awkward Borchert was for football.

Comment

Great views (of one red-zone).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X