No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [II] Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can bet there will be plenty of police and "security" on hand for the final regular season game at Yankee Stadium, and if the Yankees go into the post-season the number of police and "security" will be increased.

I don't think any of the fans running onto the field in 1977 had dollar signs in their eyes, they were just happy their team won and they wanted a special memento of the occasion.

On the other hand, the difference between now and then is that the sports memorabilia market has emerged to such an extent that there's more of a known value for authentic stadium dirt, not to mention the bases and home plate, so if they were to allow the fans to run onto the field it could get a little more violent. As much as I hate to say it, there is a legitimate public safety concern.
    If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      You can bet there will be plenty of police and "security" on hand for the final regular season game at Yankee Stadium, and if the Yankees go into the post-season the number of police and "security" will be increased.

I don't think any of the fans running onto the field in 1977 had dollar signs in their eyes, they were just happy their team won and they wanted a special memento of the occasion.

On the other hand, the difference between now and then is that the sports memorabilia market has emerged to such an extent that there's more of a known value for authentic stadium dirt, not to mention the bases and home plate, so if they were to allow the fans to run onto the field it could get a little more violent. As much as I hate to say it, there is a legitimate public safety concern.
      All of your points are good ones and very valid ones. I didn't think of the public safety concern about running onto the field. Also with hieghtened security it'll be pretty hard to do anything. Good Points!!
      The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
        I love that shot of the stadium coming off the bridge. It's almost like this medieval scene of crossing over a bridge to the castle. Truly a magnifacant sight, one that'll make a nice postcard.
        Yeah, how weird will it be seeing (almost the look of) the pre-renovated Yankee Stadium standing next to the post-renovated Yankee Stadium once the facade goes up? That will be a very cool photo by this time next year

Comment

• If you can get a copy of the Yankees 2007 ALDS program, there's a two-page spread showing an awesome aerial view of the two stadiums, with each one getting its own page.
          If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
            Yeah, how weird will it be seeing (almost the look of) the pre-renovated Yankee Stadium standing next to the post-renovated Yankee Stadium once the facade goes up? That will be a very cool photo by this time next year
            Why do you think the new Stadium looks anything like the original? They keep talking about re-creating the original "limestone facade." The original facade was not limestone, it was poured concrete.

And, BTW, the facade of the old Stadium is the "pre-renovated" facade. It's just been sprayed with a light coating of pebbly concrete. Other than that, it's completely original.

Comment

• Having spent much time in the "original stadium", that is the one built in 1923 before it was renovated in 1976, I can tell you that it's replacement is long overdue. I visit only occasionally now, but the experience of seeing a Yankees game is pleasant when you are outside the Stadium, soaking in the ambience of the gameday neighborhood (that won't change) and when you are actually in your seat, albeit with knees to chest in your no-legroom chair. Everything else about being in the building is antiquated, even with the renovations. Try going to the bathroom while the game is in progress.

More relevantly, the field upon which Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played is long gone. The field is something like 12 feet lower, so if you want to imagine the Babe at bat he would be floating in the air about 10 feet behind home plate in foul territory. The facade is gone, mimicked poorly by the design on the bleacher wall. The upper deck is higher and further back. The outfield walls are shallower.

Most of you who are mourning the passing of the ballpark have no idea what is was like to sit in the old ballpark in a seat that was likely obstructed by a support pole, with few amenities for the average fan, much less luxury items. That's why it was renovated in the first place. When those renovations came in the historic place was gone. I could understand getting upset if the yanks moved to the West side, or God forbid, Jersey. But the ghosts will happily go across the street. Yogi will hold a seance.

Here's an aerial view of the construction from this week....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
                Having spent much time in the "original stadium", that is the one built in 1923 before it was renovated in 1976, I can tell you that it's replacement is long overdue. I visit only occasionally now, but the experience of seeing a Yankees game is pleasant when you are outside the Stadium, soaking in the ambience of the gameday neighborhood (that won't change) and when you are actually in your seat, albeit with knees to chest in your no-legroom chair. Everything else about being in the building is antiquated, even with the renovations. Try going to the bathroom while the game is in progress.

More relevantly, the field upon which Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played is long gone. The field is something like 12 feet lower, so if you want to imagine the Babe at bat he would be floating in the air about 10 feet behind home plate in foul territory. The facade is gone, mimicked poorly by the design on the bleacher wall. The upper deck is higher and further back. The outfield walls are shallower.

Most of you who are mourning the passing of the ballpark have no idea what is was like to sit in the old ballpark in a seat that was likely obstructed by a support pole, with few amenities for the average fan, much less luxury items. That's why it was renovated in the first place. When those renovations came in the historic place was gone. I could understand getting upset if the yanks moved to the West side, or God forbid, Jersey. But the ghosts will happily go across the street. Yogi will hold a seance.
                When I took the tour a couple of years ago, I spent the whole time imagining what the stadium looked like when Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc. played there and was very disappointed that the inside of the stadium looked nothing like it did back then. The most exciting moment for me was waiting on the ramps for the guide because I knew that they were the same ones that had been climbed by the fans who saw Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.!

Comment

Having spent much time in the "original stadium", that is the one built in 1923 before it was renovated in 1976, I can tell you that it's replacement is long overdue. I visit only occasionally now, but the experience of seeing a Yankees game is pleasant when you are outside the Stadium, soaking in the ambience of the gameday neighborhood (that won't change) and when you are actually in your seat, albeit with knees to chest in your no-legroom chair. Everything else about being in the building is antiquated, even with the renovations. Try going to the bathroom while the game is in progress.

I was born and grew up in the Bronx, within walking distance of the Stadium, and went to my first game there in 1959, when I was eight. My friends and I would attend about 25 games/year for about the next ten years.

So I remember the original Stadium quite well.

The Stadium was changed quite a bit in 1973-75, but much of the original structure remains. The upper deck is not higher and farther back, The first twenty rows or so are original; the back of the deck was extended to counterbalance the weight of the front rows.

you know, in the 1950s the entire interior of the White House was ripped out, a steel frame added, and an entire new interior built. Only the outside walls of the White House are original, and even they have been changed some. Is "the historic place gone"? Would it be OK, then, to build a new White House accross the street, and tear down the current one? I think most people would answer "no."

The percentage of "original" Yankee Stadium remaining is much greater than the percentage of "original" White House.

And as far as the West Side of Manhattan goes, the Yankees began on the Upper West Side, in Washington Heights, at Hilltop Park. And Babe Ruth began his Yankee career on the Upper West Side, at the Polo Grounds. The West Side has as much historic claim on the franchise as the Bronx does. Still no reason to tear down the Stadium.

(In fact, Ruth was a lifelong resident of the Upper West Side--he began at the Ansonia Hotel on Broadway and 72nd Street in 1920, and was living at 110 Riverside Drive when he died.)

(And the fact that the bathrooms are crowded, and you can't take a leak at your convenience is not much of a reason for tearing down an historical structure.)

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                    The upper deck is not higher and farther back, The first twenty rows or so are original; the back of the deck was extended to counterbalance the weight of the front rows.
                    So unless you are a box seat holder you are not sitting in the original stadium. And the upper portions of the upper deck are higher than original, and since they are not covered by a roof, are more dizzying and less connected with the field.

you know, in the 1950s the entire interior of the White House was ripped out, a steel frame added, and an entire new interior built. Only the outside walls of the White House are original, and even they have been changed some. Is "the historic place gone"? Would it be OK, then, to build a new White House accross the street, and tear down the current one? I think most people would answer "no."
                    The White House is the residence of a single person, not the entertainment center for millions. A truly specious argument. I look forward to its renovation on 1/20/08 however.

The most significant part of a ballpark is the field. That is where history is made. The field at Yankee Stadium is twelve feet lower, ten feet forward and configured in a completely different manner. Yankee Stadium as it exists is a 1970's ballpark, thankfully saved from cookie cutterdom by the bankruptcy of the city in the 1970's, but not the classic ballpark it was. Sic transit gloria.

Comment

A truly specious argument.
                      It most certainly is not a specious argument. The White House is an historic structure, and a symbolic structure as well. As--although to a lesser degree--is Yankee Stadium.

I look forward to its renovation on 1/20/08 however.
                      As do I!!! (From your mouth to God's ear.)

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                        As do I!!! (From your mouth to God's ear.)
                        And then God said in reply, "Wow, you all just need to let it go already..."

Comment

• It would be impossible for opening day in the new stadium to ever compare to the charm of opening day in 1923, when Babe Ruth led his Yankee team onto the field at what was then the new Yankee Stadium:
                          Attached Files

Comment

The White House... I look forward to its renovation on 1/20/08 however.
                            Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMart View Post
                              And then God said in reply, "Wow, you all just need to let it go already..."
                              Let what go?

Comment

The White House is the residence of a single person, not the entertainment center for millions. A truly specious argument. I look forward to its renovation on 1/20/08 however.[/i]
                                Sorry to tell you but this "renovation" won't take place until 1/20/09...the election is in '08.

Now let's get back to talking about Yankee Stadium
                                Last edited by stlfan; 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X