Yankee Stadium [II] Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankee Stadium [II] Construction

Here are a few shots from the last few weeks of the new Yankee Stadium construction site. I'll be adding new ones as I get them.

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0158.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

More New Stadium Construction

More shots from mid September. These were taken from the 4 train platform and the escalator tower in left field.

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0011.jpg
    Last edited by spiderico; 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Wow- I still can't believe it is actually happening

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Karen
      I love sports, why can't my husband embrace that? :noidea

:gt

Comment

I can honestly say I have never felt so much pain from looking at a few pictures like I do from them.

Comment

In more ways than one, its going to be like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers": An alien form gradually takes the shape and personality of the entity next to it until it completely becomes the entity, but is heartless and remote, while leaving the original to wither and die.....

For a ballpark equivalent of the above analogy, just look at the 1989-1990 construction pictures of the New Comiskey (US Cell Block 2) rising next to the original Comiskey :

-First, they destroy the personal neigborhood ameneties that were the focal point of the area. In the Bronx, it's McCoombs Dam Park. In Chicago, it was McCuddy's Bar.

-Second, they substitute a structure that at its best only APPEARS to be like the original its replacing:

-The Bronx: An exterior wall with arched window portals that recall the original Stadium but, as all of the drawings have shown so far, have no real connection to the ballpark as the grandstand levels don't even seem close enough to allow any fans to actually look out of those windows.

-Chicago: The signature arched window pattern of Comiskey is echoed in the New Comiskey but serves as nothing more than a useless ornamental function in that you cannot even see in or out of them.

-As already noted and discussed elsewhere, the Upper Deck of the "New" Yankee will be pushed back much farther than the original, and quite possibly suffer the same malady of New Comiskey of having the FRONT ROW of the NEWER ballpark farther away from the field than the BACK ROW of the CURRENT Stadium.

Let's Hear It For HOK! Like Michael Brown, formerly of FEMA, they are doing a hell of a job!

Dennis
          BrooklynDodger14
          Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 10-02-2006, 03:25 AM.

Comment

This makes me mad, Yankee Stadium was is my favorite place in the whole world (seeing the Yankees play there doesn't hurt ). Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Lou Gehrig, and a number of other greats played there. It saddens me that they're replacing such a gem. That place was a momument of baseball. Just about every alltime great at somepoint in their career has had the privelage of playing on those hallowed grounds. I hope the least they will do is bring back the old dimensions for Yankee Stadium.
            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

This is like a bad twilight zone. I keep hoping its just a dream or something and that no one would be that stupid to tear down a place that historical.

This would be like going to Rome to rip down the Colosseum for a brand new soccer stadium. Or going to London to shred Big Ben for a digital clock.

Our country is young, we can't hold a candle to some of the historical places in Europe and the rest of the world, so what does it say about us when we let money fuel the fire for demolishing our Bronx Colosseum?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLillard1
                This is like a bad twilight zone. I keep hoping its just a dream or something and that no one would be that stupid to tear down a place that historical.

This would be like going to Rome to rip down the Colosseum for a brand new soccer stadium. Or going to London to shred Big Ben for a digital clock.

Our country is young, we can't hold a candle to some of the historical places in Europe and the rest of the world, so what does it say about us when we let money fuel the fire for demolishing our Bronx Colosseum?

I totally agree with you here. That place IS baseball, I can't think of one great who hasn't played there, even though I'm sure there are some,
                "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Comment

Yankee Stadium - Home of the New York Giants NFL team and site of the "Win one for the Gipper" speech.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                    Why in the world would anyone be happy to see this new crappy stadium going up

My comment was to be read with much sadness- not happiness

Karen
                    I love sports, why can't my husband embrace that? :noidea

:gt

Comment

Well hell froze over and I see pigs flying. No one never thought this day will come but it has. One of the saddest moments in baseball history. The building of It. Well, the Yankees better win the World Series this year, next year and 08, because they will be the only wins that will have any meaning. Any World Series not played in this Yankee Stadium would be meaningless. Any significant moment in history that doesn't happen in this Stadium would be meaningless.

The destroying of the most magical, revered, and hallowed place in baseball history for luxury boxes is the Steinbrenner way.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I agree with you all. This is my 12 year with season tickets. I sit in the front of the upper deck, directly behind the plate. No better place to watch a game (with the exception maybe of the upper deck behind the plate at old Tiger Stadium - those seats were dangerously close to the action!). I love when people ask me if I want to "upgrade" to seats lower down. My response is that if watching a game from behind the dugout is the best place to see the game, why isn't the pressbox there? People just don't get it. Especially the designers of the new Stadium.

Don't feed me this crap about looking more like the old stadium than the current one does. I'm not old enough to have gone to the old stadium, but that classic shot of the 3 decked stadium hovering over the field (with or without the poles) is what Yankee Stadium is all about. I can even bring myself to accept a new one going up, if they really tried to replicate this design. But as someone said above, the fake outer wall just doesn't cut it. From the pictures I've seen, the inside might as well be Turner Field. This is the most expensive stadium ever built. I wish they could have done something special. The inside of this place looks so generic. When you see Yankee Stadium now from a blimp, you know instantly its Yankee Stadium. Now I'm going to feel like I'm in Cincinnati. Or Atlanta. Or anywhere but Yankee Stadium. (no offense to Cin. or Atl)

I know all about catering to the box seats. And making the fact that there will be more lower seats than upper seats a selling point. But I wish I could have been in these meetings and saw what went down. You would think Steinbrenner and Co. would have demanded something special and unique.

It's just sad.

Comment

They should go back to the original Yankee Stadium dimensions, than I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it. Also someone needs to make sure the Hallowed Grouds of Yankee Stadium do not get torn down.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                            Also someone needs to make sure the Hallowed Grouds of Yankee Stadium do not get torn down.
                            Unfortunely that just won't be economical.

Selling the land = big bucks.
                            Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                              They should go back to the original Yankee Stadium dimensions, than I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it. Also someone needs to make sure the Hallowed Grouds of Yankee Stadium do not get torn down.
                              I think it's going to be torn down because it's not a historical landmark. At least not anymore. The renovation in the 70s changed its status. I like the dimensions of the stadium of the 1930s but I alsolike the dimensions of the 70s too. Either or will be good for the new stadium. Unfortunately the people with the money don't care about the history or the meaning of Yankee Stadium just how much more money they can make from the new stadium. That is just flat out wrong.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X