Forbes Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbes Field

On a similar note to the ballparks then/now video, here's one I did from my book Roadside Baseball dedicated to Forbes Field. The b/w shots are rare--a friend of mine entered the abandoned park just weeks before the wrecking ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wsRGK4xR-Y

Forbes Field Site Today

FYI, the dissolves in this short video I made of a visit to the Forbes Field site today pretty much line up exactly with the vinatge photos shown--curious, did anyone here ever see Forbes in the flesh? Was it as great as I want to believe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wsRGK4xR-Y

author's site
    www.chrisepting.com

Comment

did anyone here ever see a game at Forbes?

Comment

Forbes Field

I guess that I am too new to know as to what is to be taken as honorable threads and dishonorable threads. Shame on you and get your junk out of a good website.

Comment

Forbes Field

Originally posted by hbwriter
          did anyone here ever see a game at Forbes?
          Yes, I saw many; not that you seem to care. Take your junk and remove it to people who don't CARE. I like this site, but yor certainly don't respect it.
          Get your disrespectful self somewhere else

Comment

Cmon neil, relax. Im enjoying his stuff so far, maybe he just wants a little input.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
              Cmon neil, relax. Im enjoying his stuff so far, maybe he just wants a little input.
              It seems interesting.

Comment

BUMP!!!

Here are some Forbes Field photos for all to enjoy if they haven't seem them yet. And if they have, then they get to enjoy them again!!

Undated photo from the exterior behind home plate.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sflnyc; 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM.
                Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

Undated photo from beyond the left field fence
                  Attached Files
                  Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

Undated photo taken from the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning.

The book where I got the picture from states that it's from the 1960 World Series, but I highly doubt it. There is no bunting to be seen anywhere and the huge swaths of empty seats can be seen in the RF stands (both upper and lower). All 4 of the Pirate World Series games drew sell-out crowds of 36,000 plus.

Besides that, this is a very picturesque setting around the ballpark.
                    Attached Files
                    Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

The aforementioned "Cathedral of Learning" at the University of Pittsburgh beyond the Third Base stands.
                      Attached Files
                      Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Radio accouncing booth at Forbes Field. I guess you can really call this the "Catbird Seat"

I like the lawsuit influenced sign on the field that says "No Hitting Towards Stands. Makes one wonder why anyone would ever hit a ball towards the stands in the first place?
                        Attached Files
                        Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

The outfield area in a photo taken between August 14-17, 1947 during a series with the Cardinals.

The inside fence sliced 30 feet off the left-field home run distance and was christened Greenberg Gardens in honor of Hank Greenberg. Later on it was dubbed "Kiner Korner" for Ralph Kiner. Of course, when Kiner went on to do TV for the Mets, his postgame show was called "Kiner's Korner"
                          Attached Files
                          Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

June 28, 1970

Fans attack the scoreboard after the last game at Forbes Field.

If you look through the crowd you'll see somebody with a "Knot Hole" sign, as in Knot Hole Gang.

Any Pittsburgh area posters now anything about the Knot Hole sign and why it was part of the Forbes Field scoreboard?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sflnyc; 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM.
                            Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Does anybody out there have a photo of the Forbes Field outfield wall that was used as decoration in the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers Stadium?

Prior to Three Rivers Stadium coming down of course.

Here is a picture of it being dismantled from Forbes for transfer to the new park.
                              Attached Files
                              Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X