Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wes_kahn
    replied
    That 1914 picture may be the best 100+ year old photo of any kind that I have ever seen. Put that baby on a large TV monitor and turn out all the lights until it is pitch black dark in your room. It is incredibly real feeling, almost as real as virtual reality. That was a World Series the Athletics didn't enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Jason R. Maier
    replied
    How about the famous picture of Tony Taylor standing in Connie Mack Stadium (after the fire) when the whole field was overgrown with weeds?

Leave a comment:

• seawolf
    replied
    How about any interior color pictures when the seats were green and the fences were ad free? Before the A's left. I always thought she looked a little classier back then.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    I follow him on Twitter but I didn't know he was on Facebook. Since I'm more active on Facebook, I'm now following him there as well.

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenCub
    replied
    You check out his other colorized photos at Baseball in Color on FaceBook & Twitter. He does amazing work!

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCubFan View Post
    Quite the thing! It looks like someone went back to the 1914 World Series in a time machine, and took a modern digital camera along.
    Right? That's pretty much what I thought. Really good resolution, and nearly perfect colorization.

Leave a comment:

• MrCubFan
    replied
    Quite the thing! It looks like someone went back to the 1914 World Series in a time machine, and took a modern digital camera along.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by seawolf View Post
    It's a colorized version of a Bain photo from the 1914 World Series. Pretty awesome.
    Good info, thanks. Indeed, I now notice the date in the upper left.

Originally posted by MrCubFan View Post
    The picture seems to have disappeared since yesterday. But it was very nicely done! Realistic-looking.
    I still see it. But since there was some difficulty when it was first posted, it's not surprising that some are having difficult experiences with it.

So I'll post it again.

image_156821.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MrCubFan
    replied
    The picture seems to have disappeared since yesterday. But it was very nicely done! Realistic-looking.

Leave a comment:

• seawolf
    replied
    It's a colorized version of a Bain photo from the 1914 World Series. Pretty awesome.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by 4huskerfanz View Post
    Picture wise on Shibe Park.......how about this one
    Great photo with some awesome detail. Looks to be the early 1920s.

Leave a comment:

• 4huskerfanz
    replied
    Picture wise on Shibe Park.......how about this one
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nealp19078
    replied
    Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post
    This ballpark also featured the "Greatest Baseball Game Never Played," a computer simulated baseball game featuring a team of all-time National League greats against a team of all-time American League greats.

I had an audio tape recording of this game when it aired live 35 years ago. It sounded authentic from the 1940's and 1950's, with Jack Buck and Lindsey Nelson broadcasting the game using the best recreation audio available.

I used to do my own broadcasts into an old reel to reel recorder. I used a wooden pencil and tapped it against a wooden table to make the sound of the bat hitting the ball, and my finger on the table to make it sound like the ball hitting a glove. It sounded sort of authentic.
    I have te tape to that 1982 Greatest Game Never Played! Henry Aaron homered to end it!

Leave a comment:

• seawolf
    replied
    I think deep down Connie knew neither of his elder sons were cut out for it, and he had such a reputation as an elder statesman that nobody wanted to be seen as steering him. Everything he was came from the ball club, he really did not have other interests to fall back on when things got lean. Philly was home to many prominent businessmen, but egos get in the way. Wish he would have divested and partnered with other interests. It would have injected new capital in the team and area, and reduced his and the ball club's risk. Ancient history now, but it sure is great to see these pictures of the old place (new to the site, but scrolled back through all of it). She was a beauty in her day....set the standard.

Leave a comment:

• Jason R. Maier
    replied
    Originally posted by seawolf View Post
    Always thought the A's should have figured a way to stay. To me. the timing was always bad. Mack had no real plan of succession, and he aged out at the A's expense. The logical and appropriate time for him to cede control would have been on the heels of the Old Timers game of 1939, celebrating the two championship dynasties. He was 76 at the time and five or six years from fielding a competitive team. It would have been a different story if the local establishment had stepped up. The Phils had moved in, and Baker Bowl should have been a warning. There was still time to make the area work, and coming out of the war would have been the best time to rededicate to the area. Philly politics, Mack's age and family issues (and the Shibe's as well), let the whole thing roll on to it's end fate. Strong leadership and foresight were asleep at the wheel. It's a shame, but I always wonder what Philly would have been like with had the A's survived.
    I recall at a couple of points in the late 30's, Connie Mack's son from his first marriage (Earle) served as interim manager at points when Connie was sick.

Perhaps the plan was for Earle to assume the full time manager position at some point? And I do know that Earle and Roy had disputes with their younger half brother (Connie Jr.) about the direction of the A's, with the only thing both sides agreeing on was the elder Connie stepping down as manager.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X