Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crosley Field / Redland Field

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crosley Field / Redland Field

    Here are a few then and now photos of Crosley.twofromclifton.jpg

    yorkside.jpg

    nwcorner.jpg

    The first photo shows an overall view of then and now.

    The second photo is looking from the scoreboard down the left field wall.

    The third photo shows the terrace in left field. It's the hill going away from you, not the left to right one.
    Last edited by driver62; 11-30-2006, 01:26 PM.

  • #2
    Good pics! Thanks for sharing!
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, cool pics
      There's a fly ball out to left. Waiting is Cleon Jones ...the Mets are the World Champions! Jerry Koosman is being mobbed! Look at this scene! - Curt Gowdy announcing that the Mets had just won their first World Series.

      1966 1970 1983
      1969 1971 1979
      1973 1974 1997 2014
      1996 2012 2016


      4 5 8 20 22 33 42

      Comment


      • #4
        Crosley Field

        There are a bunch of great Crosley Field photos at www.crosley-field.com.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by icee82 View Post
          There are a bunch of great Crosley Field photos at www.crosley-field.com.
          I know. That's where I got these photos from.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you walk around the businesses that occupy the Crosley site you are, probably, walking four or five feet above the old field. I think Crosley sat atop an old brick yard that was below street level. The top of LF-CF terrace was level with the sidewalk beyond the wall. They must have brought in many tons of fill to raise the area.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Crosley Fielder View Post
              If you walk around the businesses that occupy the Crosley site you are, probably, walking four or five feet above the old field. I think Crosley sat atop an old brick yard that was below street level. The top of LF-CF terrace was level with the sidewalk beyond the wall. They must have brought in many tons of fill to raise the area.
              I don't know if they used much fill or not. The left field terrace is still there, although paved over with asphalt now.
              (see photo at top of page)
              I need to get down there and check out the area.

              Comment


              • #8
                Crosley Field

                I have actually been to the Crosley Field location. I travel from NC every year to Cincinnati to see the Reds play at GABP. I am sure that there is probably some fill dirt in that location because I read somewhere that the original field was below stree level. I never went to a game there so I am really unsure about that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  In June, 1967 Jimmy Wynn hit a home run that cleared the fence at Crosley Field and bounced onto the highway behind the park. Does anyone remember this shot? It was supposedly the longest home run ever hit at Crosley Field. I was wondering if there was ever any story as to who may have gotten the ball (if any passers-by even noticed).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Astros View Post
                    In June, 1967 Jimmy Wynn hit a home run that cleared the fence at Crosley Field and bounced onto the highway behind the park. Does anyone remember this shot? It was supposedly the longest home run ever hit at Crosley Field. I was wondering if there was ever any story as to who may have gotten the ball (if any passers-by even noticed).
                    Video of that homerun was put out on a video by either the reds or houston around 20 years ago.
                    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Crosley Field

                      It is really amazing that there are so few photos available of Crosley Field. You would think that a lot of people from Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky would have bunches of pics from that park.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Like a lot of history I'm sure there are thousands of pics of Crosley Field in old albums and shoe boxes. I regret I didn't take more pictures of it while it was standing. Seems to me I must have taken heed of those warnings that you weren't supposed to take a camera to the ball park. I should have. ha

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Crosley Fielder View Post
                          Like a lot of history I'm sure there are thousands of pics of Crosley Field in old albums and shoe boxes. I regret I didn't take more pictures of it while it was standing. Seems to me I must have taken heed of those warnings that you weren't supposed to take a camera to the ball park. I should have. ha
                          I agree that there are probably many photos of Crosley laying around and forgotten. The sad thing is, about the only people who try to keep the old ballparks alive through sites like this, are ones who actually use to see games there. To younger people, it didn't exist in their lifetime so it means nothing.
                          If you would walk into every building in the industrial park that now sits where Crosley was, I'll bet not even 1 out of 10 people who work there even know there was once a ballpark there.
                          It's sad but that's the way is is. I guess it's called progress.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was looking for Yankee photos and came across this photo from 1939 Ws on Corbis.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pic

                              That particular picture was taken in the top of the second inning in Game 1 of the 1940 World Series. Hank Greenberg singled off Red’s starting pitcher Paul Derringer and Rudy York followed with another single. Bruce Campbell followed with a sacrifice. In this photo, Pinky Higgins has just laced a two run single as Greenberg and York are scoring. The Reds’ pitcher is Paul Derringer. The Reds’ third baseman is Billy Werber and the shortstop is Billy Myers. The Reds’ left fielder is Jimmy Ripple. Derringer was knocked out of the game in this inning as the Tigers scored five runs on their way to a 7-2 victory. Bobo Newsom took the victory in Game 1 but his father died the following day as he had traveled from South Carolina to see his son pitch.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X