Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nov. 1957 View Post
    Best old photo of the brush staircase on the left
    Best photo I've seen. I love. I hate this joint. What a horrible joint. I love it.

Comment

Thanks for posting that wonderful picture. Do you know if the indentation in the cliff was natural or man-made?
      Last edited by Lpeters199; 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Those are both great photos. I can't tell but, in the first photo it looks like that area was used for something. Maybe a carriage turnaraound?

It seems to have a rubble stone retaining wall on the cliff which was very typical in the NY metro area in the 1920's to 1940's. I wonder if the area was excavated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary Ellen View Post
          Those are both great photos. I can't tell but, in the first photo it looks like that area was used for something. Maybe a carriage turnaraound?

It seems to have a rubble stone retaining wall on the cliff which was very typical in the NY metro area in the 1920's to 1940's. I wonder if the area was excavated.
          Yes, it looks excavated, but I wonder why? Maybe for some project that was abandoned and forgotten.

Comment

Same location today, different angle...courtesy of Bing.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Maz at the Polo Grounds from: http://www.posters.ws/1069/vintage_baseball
              Attached Files

Comment

• From LIFE Magazine---Sept 2, 1940 (2 pictures)---Jan. 19, 1942---July 29, 1957
                Attached Files

Comment

• rare look...

here's a rare pix of the inside of horace stoneham's polo grounds office in 1954 , funny - don't see any booze bottles...
                  Attached Files
                  the turd in the punchbowl
                  reality really sucks.
                  enjoy the game more...

Comment

• art imitating life?

always thought that the owner's office location (overlooking the field) in the natural was a nod to what was already in the polo gorunds...
                    few parks had a perch like that years ago.
                    Attached Files
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

• here's the cf tower under construction in '23 with the concourse plaza in the background.
                      the eddie grant memorial already in place...
                      Attached Files
                      reality really sucks.
                      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                        here's a rare pix of the inside of horace stoneham's polo grounds office in 1954 , funny - don't see any booze bottles...
                        Binaculars and walkie talkies sure would we be handy up there huh?

Comment

• "1962 Polo Grounds Wire Photo Interior View" currently offered on Ebay...

Auction ends November 8. Starting bid is $9.99 and there are currently no bids. Ebay item number is 380173419315 in case anyone is interested (don't know what the rules are regarding direct links to auctions, but it's not my auction, I don't know the seller, and I mainly just wanted to share the photo).
                          X

Comment

• Polo Grounds stories in Baseball Digest:

http://books.google.com/books?lr=&as...G=Search+Books
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lpeters199; 11-05-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                              [ATTACH]20163[/ATTACH]

Bowling at the Polo Grounds? Yogi Berra and Gil Hodges.... in their baseball uniforms for crying out loud!!

But... is this really the PG? The stands don't look right, the dugout appears to be very near first base, when I think it should be further towards home plate, but the outfiled bullpen roof is unmistakeable!
                              There also seems to be a chain link fence and the foul pole doesn't seem to be adjacent to a wall that is angled correctly.

The dugouts are too close to the field and the angle of the baseline seats are not situated like the PG.

The second deck is much lower in the Gil Hodges shot in which he is wearing the home Senators uniform. Same thing with Berra wearing the Yankees road gray uniform.

All of that should tell you. For me, it is the seats. They look to be solid type back slats and not the three board backs that The PH was known for.

Comment

• From Baseball Digest:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X