Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near center field there is a huge portion with no fence? Is that they way it stayed during games?

Comment

• Just figured it out. There was a wall 475 ft away...........HOLY MOTHER OF PEARLS! But was there a line on that wall that represented a home run? And please don't tell me that you had to hit the ball near the Rheingold sign for a home run.:bowdown:

Comment

• I don't think there was a home run line, but nobody ever hit the wall anyway.

Comment

• No line on the clubhouse wall..... And as posted, is was not needed, as no batted ball ever struck the clubhouse. The marker read 483 some years.... As home plate was moved from time to time
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• Comment

• Those seats in the Upper Deck must have sucked. Look at all the ramps and railings and pillars and weird, haphazard overhangs. Charming? Maybe. But a pretty crappy place to watch a game.

Comment

• From Leland's Auction: http://www.lelands.com/Auction.aspx/...rca-1920/page1
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Lpeters199; 11-18-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• May have been short down the lines but gets deep fast...........and as we know, dead center forget it.

First pic, Giants Don Mueller leaps, robs Dodger Carl Furillo of extra bases.

Second, Giant Dusty Rhodes fails to catch Cleveland's Early Wynn drive, double 1954 WS.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• The last time the two rivals met up at the Polo Grounds, September 8, 1957.
                    Giants beat Dodgers 3-2, off to the coast.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• "Come on, have a heart will you. Are the Giant fans of NY Giants in enough agony.
                      You have to display signs on the truck reminding them, where they are headed, no mercy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Wish I was around to see some games at this place...........just looked so unique, bullpens in fairground, 483 ft to center and the club houses in center........Wild stuff. Was there anything below or behind the dugouts at all? Like restrooms or maybe a small trainers room?

Comment

• Originally posted by JCCC View Post
                          Wish I was around to see some games at this place...........just looked so unique, bullpens in fairground, 483 ft to center and the club houses in center........Wild stuff. Was there anything below or behind the dugouts at all? Like restrooms or maybe a small trainers room?
                          I believe there was a restroom back there...someone here a while ago claimed to have the sink from that room. Anyone have any pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by JCCC View Post
                            Wish I was around to see some games at this place...........just looked so unique, bullpens in fairground, 483 ft to center and the club houses in center........Wild stuff. Was there anything below or behind the dugouts at all? Like restrooms or maybe a small trainers room?
                            not behind, but lavatory along side.

odd that the 'stick also had the long walk across the field to the clubhouses also for most of the time they shivered there...
                            Attached Files
                            the turd in the punchbowl
                            reality really sucks.
                            enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Displayed on front page NY Times. Some changes made for the 1923 season. Center field now 50 feet deeper, from 433 to 483 feet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Look at the hugh foul territory, third base side, not very good for the batter.
                                This I think was from 1914.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X