Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Freize/facade should have been featured in Citifield!

Comment

• Originally posted by Godzilla Ranger NYC View Post
      The Freize/facade should have been featured in Citifield!
      You can bet your bottom dollar if Ebbets Field had a frieze 'n facades Citi Field would have had them up the wazoo.
      X

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
        here's a couple good ones.

the facade of the upper deck was just as visually appealing as the frieze up top.

the library of congress' photostream on flickr has many shots of the polo grounds and its frieze/facade, albeit behind shots of ballplayers.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=polo...=8623220%40n02
        thanks for the pics.

Comment

• Polo Grounds 1958 from: http://www.photoarts.com/gallery/lavine/color/0041.html
          Attached Files

Comment

• Were there any auto racing fatalities at The Polo Grounds in the New York Cities, Borough of Manhattan, where they usually played the baseballs? Pastimes of America, great success!
            No one can make you
            Do what they want to
            You know you're stronger
            Than the lies
            That they tell you

Comment

• interesting fact that the Yankees averaged 16,000+ in Babe's first two years at the Polo Grounds and at their new park did not average that many again until 1946.

Comment

• No batter's eyes in 1933:
                Attached Files

Comment

• What year did they remove or cover the frieze/facade? Nice photos, thanks for posting them.

Comment

• johnfre

The Polo Grounds Facade was removed in 1922-23 during the reconstruction/ addition to the grandstand and bleachers.
                    Iko Iko

Comment

• From Corbis:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Babe's "old home" as a Yank 1920-21-22 Polo Grounds and his new home, the new Yankee stadium.
                        Drawing from the New York Times, page one.
                        All the numbers may no be 100 percent correct, just to give a rough comparison of the park configurations.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Polo Grounds 3-D Tour

Found on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pml0en7MHIE
                          sigpic

Visit Wrigley Wax, a Cubs Baseball card collector's blog

Comment

• bandit12 posted a Modern Marvels baseball parks episode, from which I grabbed screencaps. I thought this shot was of the Polo Grounds, but that hill in the background looks pretty tall. Help on the ID?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                              Babe's "old home" as a Yank 1920-21-22 Polo Grounds and his new home, the new Yankee stadium.
                              Drawing from the New York Times, page one.
                              All the numbers may no be 100 percent correct, just to give a rough comparison of the park configurations.
                              I believe that Bill Jenkinson has some different figures for the pre-1923 Polo Grounds outfield fences. He states that the 433' measurement often quoted as the dead centerfield distance was actually the measurement to the corner just below the centerfield angle in this illustration. The actual distance at its deepest point was about 475' This seems to be confirmed merely by eyeballing the new (i.e. 1923) and old configurations. Those L tracks weren't moved, nor does it appear that home plate was moved. There just was not enough room to increase the dead centerfield distance from 433 to 475-485.
                              I have heard that the 433' distance to that corner was the only one actually posted on a wall in the deep outfield. As a result it may have been become the deepest centerfield distance merely by default, but not in reality. (See p. 139-140 of The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs).

Comment

• Originally posted by stuarthouse View Post
                                I believe that Bill Jenkinson has some different figures for the pre-1923 Polo Grounds outfield fences. He states that the 433' measurement often quoted as the dead centerfield distance was actually the measurement to the corner just below the centerfield angle in this illustration. The actual distance at its deepest point was about 475' This seems to be confirmed merely by eyeballing the new (i.e. 1923) and old configurations. Those L tracks weren't moved, nor does it appear that home plate was moved. There just was not enough room to increase the dead centerfield distance from 433 to 475-485.
                                I have heard that the 433' distance to that corner was the only one actually posted on a wall in the deep outfield. As a result it may have been become the deepest centerfield distance merely by default, but not in reality. (See p. 139-140 of The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs).
                                I've heard this before, now it's possible what you post could be correct.............those dimensions, I never followed up on the issue. Lots of Polo people on the board, maybe they could contribute some info.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X