Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chinese home run View Post

Walter would have never allowed Horace to move to Minneapolis St. Paul. Horace did NOT have exclusive territorial rights to the entire area, because there was also a minor league team in St. Paul.
    And, miracle of miracles, it just happened to be a Dodger farm team, the St. Paul Saints, which was the Dodgers' other Triple A team. Branch Rickey signed an agreement in 1943 where the Saints became a Dodger affiliate, then it became an owned and operated farm club of the Dodgers in 1947. The Saints were the natural rivals of the Millers, which Horace bought in 1946 from Mike Kelly (sp?)

In addition, O'Malley was deep in discussion with the politicians in L.A. as early as mid-1955. Add to the fact that a National League owner would not be allowed to move his franchise without unanimous consent of the other owners (as opposed to a 3/4 majority in the AL) and it was very clear that Walter would block Stoneham moving the Giants to Minneapolis. If Horace thought he would be able to do what Lou Perini did three years earlier when he moved the Braves from Boston to Milwaukee and watch the money roll in; well, he was sadly mistaken.
    Actually it was the Braves move to Milwaukee that got O'Malley thinking about a replacement for Ebbets Field, first in Brooklyn and second elsewhere... LA Councilwoman Roaslind Wyman was soliciting a MLB Team for Los Angeles. And when Walter finally saw LA officials talking to the owner of the Washington Senators during a game at Ebbets during the '56 World Series, he sent down a note on a napkin which read, "Don't do anything until you talk to me." So by the end of the '56 season, Walter knew he wasn't going to get his stadium in Brooklyn, and he needed to put Plan B in motion.

I didn't know about the Dodger road block in MSP. Very interesting.
    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

Actually it was the Braves move to Milwaukee that got O'Malley thinking about a replacement for Ebbets Field, first in Brooklyn and second elsewhere... LA Councilwoman Roaslind Wyman was soliciting a MLB Team for Los Angeles. And when Walter finally saw LA officials talking to the owner of the Washington Senators during a game at Ebbets during the '56 World Series, he sent down a note on a napkin which read, "Don't do anything until you talk to me." So by the end of the '56 season, Walter knew he wasn't going to get his stadium in Brooklyn, and he needed to put Plan B in motion.

I didn't know about the Dodger road block in MSP. Very interesting.
      That is correct about O'Malley talking to Councilwoman Wyman, then Norris Poulson, the mayor of Los Angeles. You are also correct about O'Malley noticing Lou Perini's success in Milwaukee- after all, the Braves broke the MLB attendance records in their first two years in Milwaukee, and O'Malley figured with all of that money, the Braves would go out and sign more players.

Also, San Francisco already had the motivation for a major league Team. In the general elections in November of 1954, voters in SF approved Proposition B, allowing the issuance of $5 million dollars in bonds for the purpose of building a ballpark to lure a major league team there. Los Angeles had a similar referendum in a special election in June of 1955- and it did not pass. O'Malley knew right there that if he was to move to LA and build a ballpark there, it would have to be with his own money. Within a year, he sold Ebbets Field, Delormier Downs in Montreal, and their minor league ballpark in Fort Worth for a total of five million dollars, giving him his war chest to build a ballpark .In early 1957, he bought a plane for the team. Anything Brooklyn would have offered him wouldn't have been enough.

And, like Columbo used to say, just one more thing. The two prime movers in getting major league ball in SF were two city supervisors, Francis McCarty and George Christopher. They started their campaign in mid-1953, and when Christopher was elected mayor in November of 1955, one of his goals was to get a major league team to San Francisco. IIRC, O'Malley, knowing that even he would not be able to move to LA by himself after he purchased the territorial rights to LA from Phil Wrigley in early 1957, contacted Christopher and suggested that he talk to Stoneham. You know the rest.
      Last edited by chinese home run; 11-03-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Horaces' drinking effected the operations of the Gi-ants, the whole biz would have completely fallen apart if it wasn't for Feeney and other baseball lifer's. It was well known
        within the industry, especially by Yanks people - right across the river - like my parents - just covered-up from public scrutiny as was the fashion of the time.
        the turd in the punchbowl
        reality really sucks.
        enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Well, what also affected the franchise- long after the move to San Francisco- was when Chub Feeney left to become president of the NL in late 1969- a consolation prize for not being elected commissioner earlier that year. Without Feeney as a sounding board for or against trades, Horace and his cronies- Tom (Clancy) Sheehan and Rosy Ryan, among others- made decisions that did not help the franchise (i.e., George Foster, Sarge Matthews, Garry Maddox, and Gaylord Perry blossomed elsewhere while the Giants got very little in return.) It must have been painful for Chub to see this happen, especially after the National League had to take over the club in mid-1975. Poor judgement by all parties- with or sans adult beverages.

Comment

• Veering from the move discussion, I must say that although I was not a NYG fan, the PG was a fun place to visit.

Can you imagine a park today where a removed pitcher would have to walk that long distance to the clubhouse in public view?
            Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

• Today's player would break down and cry just like they do when someone take them deep and doesn't offer a apologize for doing so.

Comment

• From the same YT account that posted 3 amazing OYS videos (over on that thread), here's an Old Timers Game for war bonds on 8/26/43, which includes Babe Ruth's last appearance at bat. Enjoy.

Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• That shot was taken when I was 2 DAYS old
                  Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X