Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 57 and a huge Giants fan from the Bay area. I started going to Candlestick park in 1968 when I was 4 years old. When the Giants played at the Stick, they used the 1st base Dugout. When moving to PacBell, SBC, AT&T, Oracle Park they changed and used the 3rd base Dugout. My Question is what dugout did the Giants use when they played at the Polo Grounds? I know the Clubhouses were in the center field below the scoreboard/advertisement cigarette. Was there a restroom in the dugouts? Also were there any concourses, concession stands, restrooms in the upper deck? It looked like there was nothing in Leftfield at all. Was there an Organ and music played on the P.A system? Also because there are not many interiors photo's of the concourses, what was the restroom/concession stand/walkway situation like in the lower bowl?
    Last edited by rick140156; 09-17-2021, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rick140156 View Post
      I'm 57 and a huge Giants fan from the Bay area. I started going to Candlestick park in 1968 when I was 4 years old. When the Giants played at the Stick, they used the 1st base Dugout. When moving to PacBell, SBC, AT&T, Oracle Park they changed and used the 3rd base Dugout. My Question is what dugout did the Giants use when they played at the Polo Grounds? I know the Clubhouses were in the center field below the scoreboard/advertisement cigarette. Was there a restroom in the dugouts? Also were there any concourses, concession stands, restrooms in the upper deck? It looked like there was nothing in Leftfield at all. Was there an Organ and music played on the P.A system? Also because there are not many interiors photo's of the concourses, what was the restroom/concession stand/walkway situation like in the lower bowl?
      Based on this photo of Stan the Man in the on-deck circle, the Giants (and I assume the Mets later) used the first base dugout, and the visitors used the third base dugout.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...ircle_in_polo/

20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Home teams typically chose the dugout that would have the lesser amount of hot sunshine streaming in during the games. Or at least that's always been my assumption. There can be other factors: https://www.quora.com/How-do-teams-d...heir-home-park Unfortunately, Clem's Baseball website does not seem to have that info. One of the quora comments has to do with the manager coaching from third base. There might be some truth behind that, but not with the Polo Grounds, at least in its later years. In the clips of the Bobby Thompson pennant-winning homer, you can see Eddie Stanky running from the first base dugout, across part of fair territory (!) toward manager Durocher in the third base coach's box, then jumping all over him in pure joy.
        Last edited by MrCubFan; 09-17-2021, 03:47 PM.
        "Thank you very much, Commissioner, for the fine introduction. We've got the setting: sunshine, fresh air; we've got the team behind us. So... let's play two! - Ernie Banks, Aug 8, 1977"

Comment

• Here's a new (to me) discovery: an awesome color photo of the Polo Grounds scoreboard as it appeared when the Mets played there. It's presented in the form of a fantasy 1962 Topps baseball card.

(Source: "Mets Baseball Cards Like They Ought To Be")
          X

Comment

• I know that the Giants team president's office was on the top floor of the CF clubhouse, plus I believe offices for a few other team senior officers. However, where were the offices for the more junior staff (tickets, concessions, accounting, etc.)? In pictures of the Polo Grounds looking down from Coogan's Bluff, there is a 3-story building jutting out from the exterior Polo Ground exterior walls behind home plate & down the 1b line. Could this be their location or were they located offsite like the Brooklyn Dodgers (circa 1947) had moved their team offices to building elsewhere in Brooklyn from Ebbetts?

Comment

• The Giants had offices on 42d Street, I believe.
              Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X