Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August, 1951
    Attached Files

Comment

Pictured is a lineup of baseball's oldtimers who appeared at the Polo Grounds today to take part in a program featuring a war bond baseball game sponsored by the New York Journal American. Left to right, back row: "Duffy" Lewis, Ed Collins, Roger Bresnahan, Connie Mack, Umpire Klem "Red" Murray, George Sissler. Front row: Hans Wagner, Frankie Frisch, Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Tris Speaker. The 45,000 who attended the Patriotic Jubilee bought $800,000 in war bonds.

August 26, 1943
      Attached Files

Comment

Great ones Elvis keep them coming!

Comment

The Brush Staircase today... looks like the exit from the staircase onto Edgecombe Avenue is blocked off.
          Attached Files
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Here is as close up a photo of the landing place Shot Heard Round the World as I have seen. The ball entered the stands to the left of the section 35 pole. If you look a two people to the left of the section 35 pole, you see a guy with dark hair, a dark coat or jacket, and a white shirt (you can see a lot of white shirt). He is defninitely celebrating, with both arms in the air. The person to the left of him, has both hands up either protecting themselves, or trying to catch a ball, probably the former. HIs/her head is turned towards the white shirt guy and you can just see the side of his/her head.

The people to the right side of the photo are looking towards these two. Likewise, the people in the rows further back seem to be generally looking towards these two. I love the guys in the front row to the extreme right of the photo. Leaning WAY out to see if this was going to be an HR. It must have just cleard the wall.

The few books I have read about the PG, and about the shot heard round the world, state that no one knows who has the ball. One book suggested more than one witness stated a young African American boy ended up with the ball and took off running with it. I think that was Joshua Pragers, or was it Stew Thornley's?

I'll work on blowing this up a bit more.
            Attached Files
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Looking back at the color "slides" posted on page two.... the person who took these shots was only, what, 30 or 40 feet from where the Shot Heard Round the World landed?

So, if you were standing in the same spot in 1951, I suppose it would have looked like this.... The greatest moment in baseball history, and you don't have much of a view, even if you are just one section away!!
              Attached Files

Comment

An autographed photo of the moment. At the time, there were more than 270 playoff or World Series games played... and this game became the first (and still the only one) game in which a team was down by three in the bottom of the 9th and still came back to win.
                Attached Files

Comment

A little known fact about the Polo Grounds is that an apartment INSIDE the stadium was built by the Giants Owner, Charles Stoneham. He lured groundkeeper Matty Schwab away from the Dodgers in the late 40's iirc, and Schwab lived in the small, three or four room apartment during the season. He had a wife and son who sometimes lived their with him. The kid would have friends over, and was friends with some of the sons of the Giants Players.... when they would sleep over, they could camp out in the outfield, ride their bikes around the concourse, and generally have the PG to themselves if the Giants were out of town. The kid also had the biggest backyard in New York City!!

The family kept a car under the grandstand, and when they left the PG, drove around the concourse, and exited the PG through a roll-up door leading to Eighth Avenue... which would be down the right field line, right?

I have always looked for a photo showing the door connecting the field to the apartment, and I knew it was under the left field grandstand, and that the door was in foul territory. Never found one until now.... here it is. The door is just past the third base box seats, in foul territory. Photo from 1954

PG Apartment 1954.jpg

Comment

Sandy Koufax strolls down the stairs and onto the field.... Look at the center of the photo, (just in front of Sandy's face) you can see the cage in use during batting practice.

MAN, that is a long way away.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those look like all turf infields in the youth parks. Must put a real damper on any thoughts of sliding, but I bet they play true!
                      Last edited by bigtime39; 01-28-2007, 06:39 PM.
                      4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

Did we forget about this one too?

Comment

These are OUTSTANDING photos and stories, which even this old Brooklyn Dodger fan enjoys.

Thanks to all who contributed them!

Comment

August, 1962.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Babe Ruth at the PG.jpg
                                Babe Ruth takes BP as a Brave at the PG.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X